Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

6-7 Years of Raves OLD VS NEW

doofhard

Bluelighter
I would consider myself a fairly longterm doofer. I stared listening to techno when I was about 12 -13 and progessed to all the wierd and woulderful sounds of "doof doof" there are today.
When im talking OLDSCHOOL VS NEWSCHOOL I mean in my experience 6-7 years of Raves,Parties,Bushdoofs and clubs. Raves have changed, some for better, some for (greed) worse.
But today Im giving my opinion on Raves (not clubs) and Bushdoofs.
Raves - A party that was once in any chosen location and some locations were amazing, now they are basicly forced into certain sports complexes and occasionaly a good location but no new ones for some time now.
When I went to my first rave everything about it was amazing. We dressed up in home made "Rave gear" with bright colours and fluff and sparkly stuff, armed with one bisket.
Walking towards a HUGE SHED that was pounding harder than my heart. Everyone we walked past had huge smiles and said Hello, inside was a huge mass of colour people, walls, roofs, lazers, intelligent light, uv light and big screens. The music was faster and louder and more impressing than I could ever have dreamed. The bass vibrating through everything including me.
Danced all night to what I thought was the most amazing music eva, talked to some of the most interesting and amazing people eva. The light and sound were extensively overdone to amaze and dazzle everyone and walking outside and back to the car at the end of the night after the sun has been up for hours still buzzing from the most amazing night of your life so far.
For the next 1-2 years We went to all the big raves each one out doing the next. Then over the next few years the rules started coming into place and some Rave crews got greedy and things started to change.
Some of the crews got greedier and started to up prices and down quality. There was no where near as much value for $ such as less lighting and not so good a quality sound. That first party I went to there were at least 6 mounds of speakers and Subs halfway to the roof.
Then some laws started to come into place about the venues and some of the good ones were abolished.
Now my peception of a "RAVE" now would be very poor for $. The sound is not up to scratch (due to tightasses and laws). If law does restrict Dbls does not have to affect quality (Speaker mounds need to be minimal front AND back). Lighting is no way near up to scratch (More and way bigger lazers and lights. The venues are fairly poor and not decorated to make them attractive or impressive.
90% of the people are still Quality and easy to talk to. Not alot of people make the big effort to dress to impress which makes the venue less amazing but thats my problem because you need to dress to make yourself attrative and comfortable.
You can get as much Quality in a Club now as you can at a Rave (There are exceptions).
I still love raves but Wonder whats ahead

Now this is my experience only in my years of Doof

I agree that that things are ok still but the venues could be a lot more comfortable & enjoyable given the amounts we pay for most of these events...Gatecrasher esp. It seems we are starting to pay more & more just for a respected name 'GSSS' & 'MIS"rather than a quality product/atmosphere;) Promoters please don't just think of the money you'd get from a big audience at a sub standard event with your 'BIG' name to boost sales...if you do you suck!

We want quality events not just quality promoters!!!

War Of The Worlds and Earthcore are really the only decent ongoing raves left, IMO

The NRG parties, despite the skank, are still done better than any parties I can remember. Earthcore also puts a hell of a lot into their parties. QUALITY not quantity, that's where it's at.

doofqueen said:
doofs are not like raves :\

Actually I'd say doofs are exactly like raves used to be.. But since word got out that it was 'cool' to goto raves and takes lots of drugs, the way raves are put on these days, you wouldn't know if you was at a rave or a night out at any night club. These days, anyone can be at a 'rave' instead of the days where you had to know someone who knews someone that was putting on the rave. I guess that's why the terms, "undergound" and "old skool" actually mean something cool. Too bad it rarely happens these days. It seems to be all about the $$ these days..

Kudos to anyone actually putting on an event with the full knowledge they are going to lose money.l

I agree with wazza - bush doofs are exactly what raves used to be like - the same mindset, spirit and organisation. Raves these days do not have the underground feel - the feeling that you are being part of something special and spiritual.

Of course this is my own opnion and not taking anything away from ravers today :)

To paraphrase Billy Connelly (who's fucken God as far as I'm concerned) - its not that the old days were better, that people back in the oldkool days knew how to have better fun than today - its not the old days that I miss, its my youth :)

This topic always brings up some interesting posts :eek:

I'm not saying that doofs are more underground and cooler *rolls eyes* i'm saying that a rave and a doof are COMPLETELY different

but actually doofs are the best thing on the planet =D

^^^^

You're right also - in today's times, they are both different :) The comparison was with doof and raves of the "past"

considering i've only been going to raves since october of last year, i guess i'm not *all* that qualified to respond, but i just wanted to mention the hyperactive rave (melbourne) that i went to not long ago.

it was everything i'd always imagined raves to be, and sounds close (as close is possible anymore, anyway) to what others are describing as the past raves. the atmosphere was awesome, everything was colourful and friendly, entry was cheap etc etc. muzzas at a minimum too :)

so maybe they're not quite dead yet, you just have to look a bit harder?

onetwothreefour said:
so maybe they're not quite dead yet, you just have to look a bit harder?

*Nods* Couldn't agree more. With todays technology its become soo easy to look up a website, to grab a glossy flyer etc etc and find a good party. Thier psoted on every lightpole in the city....
Take a step back, read the small black and white flyers that are hidden away, word of mouth, and obscure websites.
There are still a few small underground raves being put on. :)

DJC*

In my experience, it doesn't matter when you started partying, after a year or two you look back and go "aw, partys today just aren't what they were in the old days..." This phenomenon is brilliantly detailed in the film Human Traffic. :) I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the more you take MDMA, the less special it is, due to the tolerance factor. Once the MDMA experience becomes more pedestrian, you can see through all the crap with a more realistic view (and not through MDMA coloured glasses). Basically, I think you wise up. And that's it.

Then if you are wise, you realise nothing is perfect and you can enjoy partys for what they are - an over priced night out with a couple of dudes getting paid lots of cash to play records, some lights and lasers, plus hundrdeds or thousands of people off chops, some of whom are wearing fur and fluro, others of whom are not. That's all they are.:)

been going to raves for 7 years now.
But if you ask me they more dance parties then actual raves.

to me its not a rave unless

1. it was a secret location party.

2. the venue was a dodgy warehouse in a dodgy suburb and the promoters are just as dodgy. they found the venue on the day, rewired the electricity, put in a sound system and the only reason u knew about it was because you knew someone, or knew someone who knew someone.

3. the cops came and shut it down.

bring back the old skool

Doofhard, you have summed up exactly how i feel about the whole scene!
My first rave was the bees knees, everything was beautiful and colourful and the lights were bright and trippy... this was the case till around the start of 2000, when the promoters and the media crew in turn got greedy (i was working for the media crew during this time) started putting on shittier and shittier events.

The last event i went to was put on by a different crew, different promoter and was just like old raves used to be! i had a ball! Unfortunately, the promoters got in so much shit with the big-wig promoters that they arent going to put on events anymore (read- dont put on anything else or we will fuck you up!)

The big-wig usual crew that puts on events here in brissy has, i feel, sold everyone out. We get the same old frikkin dj's 5 times a year, every year, shit all lighting and NO THEME-DECOR! I mean sure, alot of people out there are so fuckin chopped they dont notice that they are listening to the same music and the same set at each rave with nothing to look at or be tripped out by, but i sure as hell do notice, especially when you triple the price of a ticket just to watch the same old shite!

I just go to doofs now,They have always been consistently good and ive always loved the music and atmosphere, and go clubbing when i feel like a night out on the town, but i really think my raving days are over and im pretty glad they are too :)

Andromeda:)

i though the title said 6-7 Years of Raves QLD VS NSW .

Go NSW!!