Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Shooms in Vic that don't stain blue?

SteveElektro

Bluelighter
are there any active shrooms common to Victoria (and around at the moment) that don't stain blue? If so, which types?

nope!

you're looking for psilocybe subaeruginosa and it's variants (eucalypta, australiana)... they all stain blue VERY strongly.

they grow on woodchips, eucalypt mulch, pine needles, etc (ie. woodloving). do some research, go searching, and you shall find :) i hear victoria is going off with them at the moment! apparently they are EVERYWHERE!

If you have to ask this question, I strongly urge you to do a LOT more research. Not that it's not a valid question, but whatever you do don't just rely on bluelight - get a book with pictures, and go with someone experienced...

And if in doubt, don't eat it. Remember it was free anyway so you're not losing anything except the time it took to hunt for it...

Thanks for the info, went looking today, only found 15 though, quite dissappointed, and yeah, I wouldn't eat anything without a second opinion, I plan to show the ones I got to a friend who knows a fair bit about them before I indulge.......

dunno what species they are but ull find them growing on woodchips.etc. out in [edited. no sources. please refer to the guidelines]. go searching

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.
Amanita Muscaria. (the large bright red/orange mushroom white spots.) This is NOT a psyilocybic mushroom however and contains completley different active chemicals. It produces completley different effects and is generally considered MUCH less pleasurable and overall less valuable than psilocybic trips.
http://www.erowid.org/plants/amanitas/amanitas.shtml
Although there are some positive reports of this mushroom as well... if you're interested you can read about them.
Anyway I think what you're looking for are psilocybe subaeruginosa and friends, and there are NO active psilocybes that don't stain blue.

^^ thanks for the info, last year i had an amanita muscaria growing where i live! didnt wanna have it though, read some reports and i just wanted normal psilosibin ones.

^^ advice like that doesn't have any place on a harm reduction board. when picking mushrooms never eat any that you cannot identify. highly toxic mushrooms often grow next to psilocybin mushrooms. it is your life and you only get one chance.

I would just also like to quickly add this in an harm minimisation attempt.

Even if you find a mushroom that DOES stain BLUE does not mean it's safe to eat there are several species such as Austroboletus, Boletus and Boletellus and a few other which stain blue STRONGLY but are poisonus.

If you find a mushroom in the wild DON'T take "HarryHallucinations" advice and just eat it that is a death sentence.

I will now post a common australian psilocybe lookalike take note people.

Stropharia Aurantiaca - This is a woodloving mushroom which will be growing everywhere in Aust right now. Can easily be mistaken for a psilocybe such as subaeruginosa. eating one of these will make you quite sick servere vomiting.
Many pictures can be found here

http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/R133655.HTM

^^^ They are a fair bit redder than the actives, but i guess if i didnt know better...

HarryHallucination said:
i say just eat them anyway....

u only live once
I'll call the guys over at the Darwin Awards and give them a heads up. Idiot.

I think the title should be changed from stain blue to bruise blue. I'm presuming that it is being said that when they are pricked, or cut etc. they will bruise blue. Stain blue could be refering to the spore prints and this is wrong as the spore prints should STAIN purply brown for most active varieties in aus and black for one (Panaeolus cyanescens). I don't actually know myself, when your seing when they bruise blue, how you test this and how long u have to wait. I was under the impression you prick it with your fingernail and see if it turns blue but again i'm not sure of how long this takes.

Feel free to viloantly correct me if i'm wrong on anything ;)

The Stametesian Rule of Thumb: IF the mushroom bruises blue AND exhibits a purple to black sporeprint then it is in all likleyhood a psilocybe. Although there are no known exceptions to this rule it doesn't mean there isn't one.

From Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World, by Paul Stamets.

just a handy page for amanita fans.

also does anyone know the name of the toady that looks exactly like a gold top but is not and is suspected of killing and/or making very sick many people in australia each year. i think a link for that one could be rather handy. i thought it was called galerina?

just found a little info on this
page

Last edited:
galerina patagonica are what you might be referring to.
"The common Galerina species in Australia can be easily identified.

Firstly they have a stem that can be quite similar in colour to the gill and flesh of the cap. The stem tends towards off white, the cap I have never seen umbonated or nippled in anyway, remaining flat as the cap expands. Brownish to orange. The stem tend to keep an annular ring, or veil remnant ring around the stem, which is rarely the case with Subaeruginosa and allies.
The gills are another indicator of Galerina. They tend to be much more distant than psilocybes (distantly placed between one-another) and are thin and seperate, aggressively attached to the stem, all ending cleanly and abruptly in line with the gill edge and never ascending upwards towards the stem.

Cap colour is orangy brown. Indicators are the similar colour of cap underside and stem flesh, veil annular rings pronounced on stem, thin seperate gills, and no blue staining. Psilocybes tend to have gills that are much more crowded, brownish and different in flseh colour to the cap top and stem flesh. Look for gills that ascend towards each other and as they move toward the stem, bluestaining and purple brown sporeprints. Annular rings are never found on known Psilocybe woodloving Australian species.

Galerina species reported in America are known to contain similar nasties to Death Caps, and reports of mistaken ingestion in Australia are rare. One such event occured when a Chinese student mistakenly comsumemd what was believed to be Galerina, thinking it was a common Honey mushroom (Armillaria mellea) or (Flammulina velutipes)"

quote is a post from bluemeanie. a user on an enthobotany website.

^^^

Great post!
Firstly they have a stem that can be quite similar in colour to the gill and flesh of the cap. The stem tends towards off white
Whereas the stems on the psilocybes i have come across ae a silky white colour with an unmistakable texture, I have often come across fungi that look like psilocybes yet when I go to pick them for further inspection i can usually tell straaight away from the texture of the stem that they aren't. Also, gallerina's give a rusty-brown spore print, another classic sign to avoid a certain mushroom.

I came across what i think were subs today... the matched all discriptions except the stem was very thin and broke easily like it was hollow. It has a very smooth texture however has not turned blue (i think they were very dried out). The gills were black. Is there meant to be an actual nipple shape on the top of the cap. THe top of these caps are copper and they get lighter towards the outside of the cap.

Last edited: