⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Shale

Bluelighter
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Movie Blurb by Shale
November 22, 2016

I was interested in seeing this movie from scenes in the trailers, despite having never gotten into the Harry Potter movies, written by the same author J.K. Rowling. IDK why some magic fantasy movies appeal to me (like Dr. Strange) and others do not. Could be that the Potter movies were just too British. The one I recall was when Daniel Radcliffe was a boy and I could barely understand him or the other kid's accents.

So today, being a beautiful cool, sunny day for a bike ride to the Cinema, I took in this movie. The setting is New York City in 1926 and wizard Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) arrives from London with his brown leather suitcase, which contains moving things. He encounters some religious fanatics, "The Second-Salemers" led by Mary Lou Barebone (Samantha Morton). He also runs into Jacob Kowalski (Dan Fogler) a good natured man with an identical suitcase filled with pastries. You know they are gonna mix up the suitcases.

Newt Opening Suitcase
fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-short-clip.png

You see, Newt's suitcase is sort of like Dr. Who's TARDIS - much bigger on the inside than on the outside - a dimensional thing in magic I suppose and Jacob opens it releasing some of Newts beasts that he carries in the suitcase.

Newt is also being pursued by Tina (Katherine Waterston) a witch that works for Magical Congress of the U.S.A. but has been demoted from her Auror or Agent position but discovers Newt is carrying unauthorized fantastic beasts.

They find Jacob, get most of the beasts back with some difficulty and lay low for a while in Tina'a apartment, which she share with her sister witch Queenie (Alison Sudol), who takes a liking to Jacob even tho he is a No-Maj, not recommended for the magically endowed.

Queenie & Jacob Hit it Off
fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-dan-fogler-alison-sudol-600x400.jpg

There are intrigues within the Magical community and we know one of the leaders of the Magical Congress, the powerful Percival Graves (Colin Farrell) is up to no good. So, that is the set up and you will have to just see the movie to make more sense out of it.

Jacob, Newt & Tina
fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-slice-600x200.jpg

Got to say the ample, non-stop CGI effects were good. This movie was well received by the critics and the aggregate reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 76% Fresh. I suppose it would help to have watched the Harry Potter movies and know some of the backstory of the whole magic goings on, but it works as a free-standing movie for the uninitiated.