• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Sure could use an answer...

Atlantageorgia

Greenlighter
I am here becuase I just found out my son is trying new things. his test came back positive for benzodiazepines, but he said it was called a "hydro". My only guess on what a "hydro" is would be hydrocodone, but that is an opiate as far as i can tell? I would love some help on what a hydro might be. It's possible the guy that sold it to him was just lying...but this is my first rodeo and I could use some input. THanks.

There is no benzo that is called or even has hydro in either the brand or generic name. Drug slang change pretty quick and from region to region but never heard benzos called hydro in this way either, although it is a possibility.

When asked what a hydro actually is, did he know? Perhaps telling your son if he doesnt even know the most basic info, in this case what the actual drug even is, it is a recipe for disaster. I cannot fault your son for being curious, but just taking unknown drugs is a big deal to me. To not do so is the lesson I hope he learns (I suspect you may wish for something more than your son becoming an informed drug user, but if its not a repeat thing, hope you do try to teach him something without severely punishing him).

Good luck to you both.

I believe it's an opiod. I'm not 100% sure but I have never heard of a benzo with that name.

It is possible he may be lying to you....thinking a benzo will seem "milder" than an opiod?

Parenting is tough. Best wishes.

I can't really tell you how grateful I am for your replies. Thanks for taking the time. He admitted it was xanax....a benzo. Why in God's green earth he lied and said it was hydrocodone type drug I have no darn clue. Parenting is tough. As much as I want to make him see truth and change things, that will have to be something he choses to do himself. I didn't love toddlerhood....but I would take it back tomorrow.

I can't really tell you how grateful I am for your replies. Thanks for taking the time. He admitted it was xanax....a benzo. Why in God's green earth he lied and said it was hydrocodone type drug I have no darn clue. Parenting is tough. As much as I want to make him see truth and change things, that will have to be something he choses to do himself. I didn't love toddlerhood....but I would take it back tomorrow.

My son is going on 4 years old and I dread the day something like this happens. I told the exact same lie too my father but in reverse. My family has a history of opioid addiction and his sister died from it, I couldn't be honest with him cuz I knew it would break his heart, but he eventually found out and opened my eyes on how dangerous a little white lie can become, he was never mad about me taking the opiates, he was pissed that I lied. If it was my son I would sit him down and make him understand that the lie hurts worse. The boy is gonna do what he wants to do, and trying to convince him otherwise will only drive him to it, we as father's half to understand that. But having a father that cares enough to just want to know what drugs there child is experimenting with, weather it be peace of mind or to plan a corse of action towards treatment, goes a lot farther then being overly strict. What teenager has the mental capacity to realize their old man actually cares about them, I didn't realize it till I moved out and had a son of my own... I wish you both the best in this situation man, I can somewhat relate, everyone loves too say parenting is hard..that's true, but being a father? A daddy? That's the hardest with having a son. We don't raise children, we're raising men, but our boys don't see that..just hold him close brother, one day he's gonna realize you were right all along, that's what we are here for

^ Hydro can also be known as weed.. That's most likely what he was trying to pass it off as.

Hi Sorry to hear about your son. He may have lied because Benzos are said to be harder to withdraw from than opiates. Or he has no idea why he lied. Just remember in the end it is HIS choice and not Your fault . He may benefit from a GOOD psychologist. I started using young in Jr. high. I now know it was most likely self medicating my ADHD. I took anything available mainly pot then bought speed took a bunch at high school and remember clearly what the teacher was saying I was calm not high feeling and I thought to myself I will never wast money on speed again because it did not get me high. It actually did the job it is supposed to do if you have adhd calm your mind and allow you to slow down and think clearly.

I had four boys all diagnosed with ADHD and ADD. My Wife has add we chose to medicate them and school was better they got along better and helped them tremendously. They have not gotten into drugs except one tried pot. my mom was given a diagnosis about my my brother that he had adhd in grade school. She chose not to pursue medication etc, and looking back It could have changed me and my 3 siblings years of addiction to everything but speed. As a parent getting a diagnosis and the right treatment can keep some from self medicating. My parents threw up their hands and just let us disintegrate without getting us help. At the time it was great we could do what we wanted but I now resent the fact that they did not do everything possible to get us help. It is a lot of work. both my oldest still have a prescription going. They say it helps greatly with their jobs one is a computer programer and the other is a clockmaker. Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

Neb.

I know quite a bit about using drugs at a young age (but keep in mind that everything in my comment is only a mix of my opinion and experiance not a step by step how to make my kid stop using drugs), if it is not peer pressure at parties then there is a reason behind it, taking xanax at parties is basically wanting to get drunk without nausea and hangover.

Altho, if he used it more frequently than only at parties to replace drinking, then there is a reason, the only thing you can do about this is make him aware (without being harsh or judgemental) that since he wasnt prescribed it one day the guy who sold it to him will eventually stop, which will send him into cold turkey WD"s then explain to him (or show him, or both), with examples(bluelight is full of threads where people talk about Benzo WD's) what happen when people use benzodiazepines especially xanax on a frequent basis and stop. This will probably show him not to mess daily with benzodiazepines while being non judgemental and comprehensive will be keeping him from simply using them to make you mad like alot of young people do.

I would also make him understand that taking drugs sold on street is specially dangerous if you are not informed on every drugs and are not able to Identify what you bought (I know the ideal is not to take drugs but most kids don't see it like that). When I was 15 I started making researches about various drugs and it litterally made me see that I didnt want to take the chance of trying some drugs just to see their effect or because friends were pressuring me to try, like MDMA, Cocaine, speed, etc. It made me stick to Cannabis and later natrual psychedelics like mushrooms. I am glad I did because I never had problems with addictions nor negative cognitive or psychological changes.

Then the reason of his use will be the key to his sobriety. Psychologist are good for that but you know your kid more than they will so the first attempt I would make is try to make him comfortable sharing his personnal feelings that he might be ashamed of. Most parents say that they will always be there for their kids but when kids hit high school they will try to do everything on their own, make their own mistakes, you need to respect that, but also show him that some mistakes have bigger consequences than others, like using benzodiazepines for a non-medical purpose when not being informed or prescribed or both. If he simply won't share, then psychologist is obviously the next step.

And If he still wants to use drugs I would make him see a psychiatrist. To see if his drug use isnt ADHD related, because it is more frequently than we think.

I hope I gave you some insights that you consider both logical and potentially helpful, and hope that you do not blame yourself for that, because it is RARELY the parent's fault (in fact it is only when the parents take drugs and make the child think it is normal to use random drugs for no apparent reason that they are the cause) most of the time drug use is caused by underlying neurochemical balance or ignorance+peer pressure.

Have a nice day and you are already in the good path to help him, most parents don't go through this much to help their child, alot simply punish and judge, you can be proud of that and know that it is good for him and a representation of your good parenting.