• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What to expect at first rave?

rollinroosta

Bluelighter
I may have this in the wrong forum, so I apologize if I do.
I am planning on going to a rave for my first time this May with a few friends that occasionally go (i.e. they've been to 4 in the past year or so.) I kind of have an idea of what to expect, but not really. I've rolled plenty at people's home (my favorite place so far) and once at a club and there's a very good chance that'll I'll be rolling at this rave. What should I expect in the way of atmosphere? Anything that I should definitely bring or not bring? Whats the best thing to wear? Any tips or advice is appreciated.
I know this is somewhat of lame question, but I just want to make sure I have the best time possible, especially since there will be a couple djs there that I like.
Thanks for the help.

probably was never a true raver anyways, he forgot to mention THE MUSIC.

thats what makes all that bad stuff worthwhile. and also probably the fact that i think all those 'ridiculous outfits' are preety cool. and i kinda like the edgy weirdness too. but hey if we were all the same then it'd be a pretty boring planet.

Last edited:
i would expect to have a really good time.

most of the people in attendance will be there to hear music that they enjoy, dance their asses off, and generally have fun. since this rave will be held on planet earth and the patrons will be human beings, chances are there will be a few shady characters, but it's nothing to get discouraged about.

check out the dj's, check out the lighting, check out the overall vibe that's created when a bunch of random strangers come together to enjoy a party. i think you'll dig it.

wear whatever you want to wear. the thing about raves is that no matter what, there's always going to be someone wearing something more outrageous than you. don't worry about looking like a dork or anything. you'll realize within the first five minutes that it doesn't matter in the slightest.

it sounds like you plan on ingesting some substances. in that case, the only other real "advice" i can offer is to take it slow. if you've never been to a rave before, don't just walk in and dump every available chemical down your throat. do your drugs incrementally instead of all at once. i did waaaaay to much acid at a massive one time and it was really overwhelming. make sure you don't get so fucked up that you're all claustrophobic and uncomfortable.

other than that, have fun! :)

i would say go with an open mind. DON'T expect anything. just go and see for yourself. you really can't go wrong at a rave unless you're acting like a total jerk-off or a complete dumbass. hmmm...but with that being said, e can make you into a complete dumbass regardless, but it's real hard to be a jerk-off. i would also say, if you are ingesting ecstacy, don't assume that every girl wants to be touched. make sure you have permission first.

HAVE FUN!!!!! you should not be disappointed!

dont forget to strip down naked at 12:00 midnight for the orgy!

and dont forget to give the dj a hug.. and a lightshow, trust me, they love it!

ask security for drugs.

the middle of the floor is actually a place for you to lay down.. feel free to use this area for rest whenever you so feel the need.

wear candy and fun fur, the more the better.

ask EVERYONE "are you rolling too?" followed by hugs and lightshows, regardless of answer.

.. oh yeah, there will be music too, but who actually goes for that?? :p

Hmmm...

Gotta agree with The Wood on this...unless you're going to a proper 'family' party (read: underground, i.e. flyers which aren't glossy), they really have gone quite downhill.

Yeah, the music will probably be decent, if not great, but everything else The Wood said is totally correct. The kidz are stupid, the drugs are bad, there are lots of cops, and the 'vibe' is kinda gone. But, good luck.

Some advice, though, if you plan on ingesting anything, get it before the rave. People are shitty these days.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love parties...but they really are shitty nowadays...if anyone knows of somewhere that throws 'em like 'old times' I would love to know.

Good luck!
M

PARTIES!!!!!

Aight dude. Here's the situation. You are going to a rave(assuming that you are referring to one put on by a commercial production company, not an underground rave), a gathering of a bunch of people surrounding the concept of staying up all night dancing/running around/being on drugs. Now, there are a lot more random-ass people at raves now than there were several years ago, but the vibe can still be fun. Go with friends who have an idea of what to expect. You WILL BE SEARCHED at the entrance, so don't bring weapons, or drugs that can be found. Often backpacks etc aren't allowed in. Sometimes rave toys won't be allowed in as well. If there is an info line/website for it, there might be some info on this. There will be people on drugs, mainly ecstasy, possibly acid, meth, and others. There will be cops wandering around in normal clothes and there will be undercover ones too. There should be several types of techno music, and possibly different rooms. There should be water for sale at exorbitant prices.

Bring:
-$$ for water(at least 20 bucks to be safe, especially if you are gonna be dancing and staying for over 5hrs or so)
-clothes that will accomodate being in a hot environment(the dancefloor) and a cold one(early in the fucking morning when they kick you all out)
-An open mind... talk to people, that's one of the main things behind the raving, the social scene. While it has gone downhill somewhat, you'll still meet some pretty crazy funny people(I don't recoomend going home with random people)
-Friends to look after you/for you to look after. Its a good idea to keep in touch and make sure everyone is doing ok and is hydrated and not doing anything stupid(like taking too many drugs). Often having someone stay in one location as a base/meeting place is a good idea, especially if the party is small enough that you can find each other easily if you decide to split up.

Some types of people you might meet:
-Kandykids-fuzzy, insanely dressed, colorful, bracelet-wearing goofballs. While there are much less of these guys around, they're damn entertaining sometimes
-Dealers-very business-like, usually running around or standing looking shifty. i do not recommend buying drugs there
-Narcs-various appearances, often dressed a little too preppily to be there, or have their drug lingo a little behind the times or confused(a <3<3<3<3 once asked me if i had some strings of acid he could buy--wtf???)
-cops-obviously dressed in uniforms, don't act stupid around them too much(i.e. don't ask them for hugs!!!-its been done before, bad idea!)
-Jaded ravers-often not wearing candy, just sit/stand and watch the dj. They can be very depressing, especially if you are rolling and they go off on tirades about how pills have fucked everyone up and everyone is doing meth and everyone sucks and they are only there cuz their dumbass friend dragged them there so he could go molest and take advantage of rolling girls(I have met people like this)
-Fucked up ravers-some people take too many drugs, and you can tell quite easily. don't be these people!
-Puddlers-People on e, who are sitting and chatting cuz they are rolling too hard or are tired from dancing. Sometimes fun to talk to, but don't impose yourself on other's social groups if you think they won't like it. Lots of massaging involved
-Dj's and thier followers-the people really into the music. Enjoy the music and give props to the dj, but don't expect them to want you to run up to the dj and give them hugs, etc.

Anyway, go with an open mind, this was all just rambling :) i am putting off work :p. Dance, drink water, and enjoy yourself, and report back!

"but don't expect them to want you to run up to the dj and give them hugs, etc."

Well, that entirely depends - I gave my favorite dj a bracelet at the last party I went to and she seemed totally appreciative. (Granted, I was rollin', but still.) If you get a chance to talk to DJ's, don't shy away from it - especially local DJs would love to talk to you.

Anyway, I'd say yucatanboy did an okay job of it. Underground parties, however, have fewer undercover and normal cops and a better vibe (in my opinion). Your first rave is a memorable experience - have a good time. And welcome.

Oh, another thing: If you run around telling everyone it's your first rave, lots of people might not believe you, 'cause it's something that some stupid people like to do (run around at every party and go "I'm rolling for the first time! This is my first rave!"). *shrug*

Have a blast!!!

(yucatanandfsjkd*) very decent post.. thumbs up! the scenes not the same, but you can definately still have fun.

.. but you should follow my post for max fun-factor ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great advice guys (those of you that actually gave real advice.) I'm really expecting that it should be fun. It isn't an underground rave -- it's a State Palace in New Orleans if any of y'all are familiar with that.
Hopefully I won't run into any of the "jaded people," especially like some of the people that posted here.
Anyways, thanks again. It's not till late May, but I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes.

I went to my first rave last weekend. It wasn't an underground one and there were about 10,000 people there. I absoloutly loved the vibe and couldn't think of a better place to be even though I was smacked on my ass.

Can one of the "old timers" explain to me how raves have changed from the good ol' days?

this thread is bringing back some good memories hehe. i remember my first impression was this:

"everyone's so niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!!!!!!" and then i crushed a glowstick in my mouth.

stay close to your friends, get some fresh air if your feeling overwhelmed, and have fun :D . oh, and don't chew on glow sticks ;) .

^^^ LOL!

someone told me once that drinking the liquid from glowsticks was bad for you... i was like "erm... alright...... wait... youve done this?!"

But yeah... enjoy your time... ive been goin to raves for 4 years more or less and I still have just as good a time as I did back at my first one =D

As far as how its changed from the old days... raves used to be alot more underground.. raves used to be all about the scene/music/people etc. The majority of the people you hear talking about how different it is now are partially right. Some of the kids that go to raves now are douchebags who are just there to say theyre ravers/kandi kids/etc, who arent into the music at all, who go there just to get fucked up, and worst: talk shit to all the old skoolers about how theyre not in touch with the scene cause theyre not wearin enough kandi or bright enough pants or some shit... lol. I hardly ever get mad at these people though... i just find it thoroughly entertaining.... i mean... if it makes em feel better about themselves, doesnt bother me much.
On that note... the thing that has changed the most is how mainstream and trendy raving has become. I dont necessarily see this as a bad thing, there are good and bad sides to it. What I DO wish is that everyone who raves today had the same mentality and understood the vibe like those who raved back in the day. Just my 2 cents. Cheers.
-Nick

REally shady fuckers selling you dangerous/inactive drugs in little colored pills, people decked out in the most rediculous outfits you've ever seen, a few piles of people talking like infants and sucking on each other, lots and lots of big burly bad-attitude bouncers, hordes of undercover cops, a few good dancers and tons of terrible dancers, annoying 17 year olds runnig up to you shoving glowsticks in your face, about 500-5000 (depending on crowd size) pairs of UFO pants, a lot of fake and superficial friendliness, and a few REALLY fuckin odd looking oddballs that make you wonder "where the fuck do people like that come from?"

LMAO, what he said