• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Couple passed out from heroin while four-year-old son sits in back of car

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Ohio and City of East Liverpool shock with this Facebook post of Rhonda Pasek and James Acord overdosed on heroin

38205B2700000578-0-image-m-41_1473431088307.jpg

14233084_879927508809786_217829197087243112_n.jpg

OHIO police have released jaw-dropping photos of an adult couple who apparently overdosed on heroin in the front seat of a vehicle as a 4-year-old boy sat in back.

The New York Post reports that East Liverpool police officials say they were going for “shock” value when they posted the pictures to the department’s Facebook page.

“We feel it necessary to show the other side of this horrible drug,” the post said. “We feel we need to be a voice for the children caught up in this horrible mess. This child can’t speak for himself but we are hopeful this story can convince another user to think twice about injecting this poison while having a child in their custody.”

On Wednesday, a police officer pulled over an SUV with West Virginia plates after the driver, later identified as James Acord, started swerving and then slammed on the brakes to avoid barrelling into a school bus that was dropping off kids, cops said. The SUV came to a screeching halt in the middle of the street.

When the officer approached the SUV, he couldn’t believe his eyes.

Acord was nodding out while struggling to tell the cop that he was driving his front-seat passenger, identified as Rhonda Pasek, to the hospital. Pasek had fallen unconscious.

Acord then tried to drive away, but the officer reached inside the SUV, turned off the engine and removed the keys. Minutes later, Acord passed out, too.

The officer then spotted the four-year-old boy in the back seat. The child was later identified as Pasek’s son.

Emergency Medical Service workers responded to the scene and administered Narcan, a drug used to reverse the effects of a heroin overdose. Acord and Pasek eventually regained consciousness and were rushed to the hospital, where they were listed as being in a stable condition.

Acord was charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, endangering children, and slowing or stopping in a roadway.

Pasek was charged with endangering children, public intoxication, and not wearing a seat belt.

Columbiana County Children’s Services took custody of Pasek’s child.

Source: http://nypost.com/2016/09/09/this-is-what-parenting-on-heroin-looks-like/

So the police department turned these people into a spectacle as a "scare tactic?" That's doing a great job gaining social acceptance so help is easier to obtain for people who find themselves in a place like this. It must be great being able to view this as some thing less then a tragedy or to see something other then people in a life they don't want. The photographer should consider himself lucky he never had to march through the hell reserved for the living known as opiate addiction.

I understand they were in the wrong but they don't deserve to be a "scare tactic" imagine getting clean and seeing that everywhere.

That is so fucked...driver looks half dead...weird they blur the kids face in one pic and not the other. That pic set is going to be everywhere...

And yeah...poor kid :-( like I kinda get pissed when I'm at the clinic getting my meth and I see some child in there with some horrid looking junkie and I just can't imagine what that kids gone through...I was lucky to be raised by loving parents that are forgiving and responsible...yet somehow my sibling and I both got hooked on the same shit.

I know sometimes circumstances suck and a patient has to take their child to the clinic, but it always makes me feel some kind of way...

I thought that the police officer was the one who took the photos?.. Either way, it wasn't very nice having this show up on my facebook newsfeed this morning. It does seem that the sole intention was to shame heroin users, which is completely unnecessary and isn't helping anyone.

The real scandal of this photo isn’t these two wretched, feckless drug addicts - it’s the criminal greed and incompetence of the US government, drug companies and doctors which enabled them

It looks like a scene from the Walking Dead.

Two crazed zombies slumped across a car in Ohio, mouths open and eyes sunken.
Behind them is a young four-year-old boy, sitting patiently in his seat, wondering what the hell is going on.
But this is not a movie set.

This is the full, horrifying reality of heroin-ravaged America.

The ‘zombies’ are Rhonda Pasek – the boy’s mother - and her boyfriend James Acord, both so out of their heads on smack they can’t even stay conscious let alone operate a car.
It was 3.11pm when their Ford Explorer was stopped for driving erratically before screeching to a halt near a school bus that was dropping off children.

When the officer approached the vehicle, he noticed Pasek was unconscious and the driver, Acord, appeared intoxicated with his head bobbing back and forth and his speech almost unintelligible.
He then passed out like Pasek.

They’ve both now been charged with various offences and the boy placed in the custody of children’s services.

We’d have known nothing about this if the local police department hadn’t decided enough was enough and made public the photos they took at the scene.
I’m glad they did, for it may jolt us out of our collective blinkered apathy and ignorance.
It’s hard to imagine a more unsettling, disturbing and frankly despicable set of images.

One which will cause every parent who sees it to scream ‘DISGRACE!’
And one which will cause every U.S. police officer to slowly shake their head and mutter: ‘No surprise.’
It would be shocking enough if this were a one-off incident.

But it’s not. It happens every single day all over America in myriad manifestations.

‘We are well aware that some may be offended by these images and for that we are truly sorry,’ said the City of East Liverpool’s police department, ‘but it is time the non drug using public sees what we are now dealing with on a daily basis. The poison known as heroin has taken a strong grip on many communities not just ours, the difference is we are willing to fight this problem until it’s gone and if that means we offend a few people along the way we are prepared to deal with that.’
How big is this problem?

Well, two days ago, just 260 miles down the road in Hamilton County, Ohio, an unprecedented immunity deal was launched permitting anyone to turn in a stash of drugs without facing criminal charges.
‘There is an emergency in this community and we’ve got to do something to get it off the streets,’ explained Hamilton County District Attorney Joe Deters.
Anyone can now drop off narcotics, no questions asked.

‘We realize we’re not going to be able to arrest ourselves out of this,’ said Sheriff Jim Neil.
Think about those words for a moment.

A police force admitting that heroin addiction is now so prevalent they cannot stem it through the normal process of law.
The statistics are mind-boggling: authorities said that nearly 300 heroin overdoses were reported in the Cincinnati area since August 19 alone, 174 of them in a six-day period.
That’s more than one an hour.

In Hamilton County, the number of accidental drug overdose deaths doubled to 414 last year from 204 in 2012.
This year so far there have been 92 overdoses reported a month, more than double the monthly average for the first six months of 2015.
These horrifying numbers are being replicated right across America, a country where 435,000 people now admit taking heroin every month and where heroin-related deaths have quadrupled this century.
Even more worryingly, the strength of the heroin is accelerating at an even deadlier rate.

The New York Times recently reported that many of those deaths are being caused by the growing use of super-powerful synthetic opiates like fentanyl and carfentanil.
Fentanyl can be 50 times stronger than heroin, and carfentanil – an animal tranquilizer used on elephants - can be 100 times stronger than fentanyl.
This hideous hybrid heroin is now so potent that authorities won’t even field test it: one sniff could KILL a drug dog, an amount smaller than a snowflake could kill a human being.

The people taking it are from every walk of life; all ages, all colours, all creeds, all sections of the wealth and work status divide.
In fact, many of the new breed of heroin addicts are prosperous white women with families and good jobs.
The only common denominator is that once you’re hooked, you’re on a fast track to hell that often results in death.

So who is to blame for this devastating epidemic?
The U.S. Government and U.S. medics, that’s who.

CONT: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...anies-doctors-enabled-them.html#ixzz4JtQmmTvX

US medics are to blame^ wtf I think the blame is prohibition and generally outcasting drug users who need help, plus lack of awareness of addictions true qualities and now it didn't just happen to the weak minded or fools, it's truly insideous .

That is so fucked...driver looks half dead...weird they blur the kids face in one pic and not the other. That pic set is going to be everywhere...

And yeah...poor kid :-( like I kinda get pissed when I'm at the clinic getting my meth and I see some child in there with some horrid looking junkie and I just can't imagine what that kids gone through...I was lucky to be raised by loving parents that are forgiving and responsible...yet somehow my sibling and I both got hooked on the same shit.

I know sometimes circumstances suck and a patient has to take their child to the clinic, but it always makes me feel some kind of way...

I got pics from different websites.

These people are ill and they need help. Of course there should be consequences for their actions but this is disgusting. Fuck the police.

US woman in viral heroin overdose photograph sentenced to jail

A grandmother who allegedly overdosed on heroin with her grandson in the car has withdrawn her not guilty plea, and entered a plea of no contest in court yesterday.

Rhonda Pasek was captured in a photograph distributed by the East Liverpool Police Department, showing her slumped in a car with an unconscious driver and her 4-year-old grandson in the back seat.

According to FOX8 news, Pasek previously pleaded not guilty to endangering a child, disorderly conduct and public intoxication, before changing it to neither dispute nor admit to the crime at the East Liverpool Municipal Court in Ohio yesterday.

Pasek was sentenced to 180 days in jail, and fined US$280.00.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/...ed-ohio-couple-goes-viral#vqRH57PASpMYJ30w.99

You know, the parents are accountable here for sure... they aren't just totally victims. But the police are propagandist pigs for making this photo go viral in order to justify their obsolete drug enforcement policy. That kid will never be able to live this down. Someone is bound to show him these photos. One of the pictures isn't blurred so the kid is identifiable, which AFAIK is actually illegal. This kid is fucked for life, by his parents AND the police.

Exactly what I said. Why didn't they blur the other pix? It's like they wanted people to see the expression

Here is an article written by Lily O'Donnell ("I Could Have Been the Little Boy in the Overdose Photo") from the Washington Post:

A photo recently blazed across the Internet: an Ohio couple in a car, both passed out, having overdosed on opiates. The woman in the passenger’s seat is pale and ashen. Her head is lolled over to one side, her mouth agape. She looks dead. It’s a deeply disturbing image, even before you notice the child in a car seat behind her, looking right into the camera.

That little boy could have been me. My parents were heroin addicts when I was a child. After I read the caption and finally registered exactly what I was looking at — a picture of a custodial grandmother and her companion on the brink of death from overdose, her grandson helpless in the back seat, released by an Ohio city to illustrate its drug problem — I felt sick. I felt anger and disgust at the woman; I wished I could reach through my computer screen to comfort the little boy, who must have been terrified. But also I wondered what would have happened if my parents had overdosed while I was with them, if I ever would have recovered from that. I felt grateful they never had and also furious at them for ever being in a position where they could have. The seasick feeling that came over me made me understand the calls for trigger warnings in a way I never had before. I wished I had never seen the picture, but I couldn’t look away from that little boy’s eyes, seeing all of my own hurt pouring out of them.

Then I realized, or more accurately, I remembered, that there’s no way that little boy had any idea what was going on. I was projecting my adult understanding of addiction, and the heartbreak and outrage that I feel about my childhood, only in retrospect.

When I bring myself back to age 4, the age of the boy in the photo, I remember that sometimes Papa fell asleep while he was reading to me, but I thought he was just tired. I didn’t know what “nodding out” was. I remember that we were always broke and that my parents fought about money, but I had no idea they were spending it on heroin; I thought we were just poor. I remember going to the methadone clinic with my mother when she was getting clean, but it didn’t register to me as any different from the dentist I also accompanied her to.

My father’s decades of drug abuse led to his death at the age of 43, when I was 12. I understood much more by then than I had at 4 years old, but I still hadn’t attached the adult moralizations to addiction. I’d been through D.A.R.E. and wondered why my parents hadn’t “just said no,” but I didn’t yet know that society in general views addiction as a moral failing, despite all the talk of disease and treatment.

Years after my father’s death, an old work friend of his told me, “I hope you have some positive memories of him.” It struck me as so strange, because I have only positive memories of him.

I have a shirt of his that still, 16 years later, smells like him. I know that he was filthy, that by all accounts he smelled as pungent as you imagine a junkie would smell, that people moved away from him on the bus, probably assuming he was homeless. But sometimes when I’m really missing him, I bury my face in that shirt and take a deep breath. It smells not like a junkie, but like my Papa. I’m flooded not with thoughts of what addiction is doing to this country, or even what it did to my family, but with memories of running to hug Papa at a bus stop after I hadn’t seen him in weeks, of sitting in his studio with him while he told me stories about his favorite painters and we giggled about puns.

The photo, originally shared by the police department of East Liverpool, Ohio, was republished numerous times. Some news outlets, including The Washington Post, took pains to blur the face of the little boy to protect his privacy. When asked about the decision not to initially conceal the child’s face, Police Chief John Lane told NPR, “within a month, no one’s even going to remember what he looked like, and in 10 years, no one’s even going to know that’s who that was.”

This rationalization shows the chief’s cluelessness as to how this experience, and its documentation, will all affect this child as he grows up: He may not understand what’s going on now, but he will someday. It’s unlikely that, years from now, the boy will be recognized on the street from this photograph, but it is likely that he will come upon the image of his family’s darkest moment and his helplessness at the center of it. His personal sadness, a sadness that will likely be with him for the rest of his life, that may be just now starting to take root, is recorded on the Internet forever. Writing this, I once again imagine myself in his shoes, and my breath quickens at the thought — not only of my parents overdosing with me in the car but also of a photograph of that moment being circulated for people to shake their heads at with “poor dear” eyes.

In addition to being tone-deaf, the chief’s explanation is suspect. It’s far more believable that they knew that the photo is exponentially more powerful when viewers can see the little boy’s face and project our feelings about addiction onto him.

That little boy in the photo was probably confused as to why Grandma and her friend were sleeping. Maybe the boy was scared by the police officers approaching the car or wondering why they were taking his picture. Maybe he understood that his grandma was sick and felt relief that help had arrived. But all of the anger and disgust the public has mustered over this photo, all of the worry about the opiate epidemic that’s sweeping this country and what it will do to “the children” — that’s all coming from us, the viewers. It’s important to recognize that when we look at the face of a woman on the verge of death and judge her choices as if we understand what was in her mind, as if the fact that she uses drugs can’t possibly mean that she cares about her grandson.

There’s no disputing that the boy needed help in that moment, that he was in a dangerous situation and needed to be removed from it. But let’s not make him the poster child for the opiate epidemic or reduce his family to this one low moment. Let’s not make him another casualty of our narrow understanding of addiction.

I am always thankful for these courageous voices that try to break down the stigma that holds in place the devastation for addicts and their families.

So many great pointts in that post. It's true, everyone is looking at this pic with their own idea of addiction and most of it boils down to ppl thinking it's a moral failing being addicted to something. I'm sure that kid had some idea of what was going on but I'm sure if you said your grandmother injected heroin and overdosed he'd have no idea what that means.

I really wish those idiot cops never released the pictures. Did more harm than good.