View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Yes, I'm Actively Addicted to Heroin—And Shaming Me Doesn't Help

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Yes, I'm Actively Addicted to Heroin—And Shaming Me Doesn't Help

Sturla Haugsgjerd | 9/2/16 said:
Hi, my name’s Sturla and I’m addicted to heroin.

Attentive Influence readers might remember me as that Norwegian guy who made a speech at the United Nations in New York earlier this year about the amazing potential of people who use drugs.

I am perhaps the most functional “addict” you can imagine. I work successfully as a journalist, I advocate for better drug laws.

The other part of my life might be harder for you to imagine.

In bad times, I might take the subway several a times a week down to the center of Oslo, where I live, and buy heroin. I’ll melt it on a sheet of aluminum foil using a lighter and suck it in.

I continue despite the fact that by doing so, I risk losing jobs, friends, my girlfriend and my family. I’ll put on a pair of sunglasses or a hoodie as I ride the subway and let it rip.

“I’m not a hypocrite,” I tell myself. “I did not deny that the urge to get high was still a daily struggle for me when I was asked about it on the radio. No reason to be ashamed!”

Yet I’m ashamed something rotten.

As I type these words, I tremble with shame.

What will people think? I participate in public debate, and then straight afterwards I’ll go into the city and score. It is junkie behavior. I know that I have been seen doing it. That people talk about it.

“He was supposed to be a role model, now he’s fucking up again.”

“I actually think he might just like it. He doesn’t even want to get clean! “

And it’s true. I, and thousands of others like me, either like the high or dislike its absence so much that we do not stop. We either don’t want or are unable to be completely abstinent. That’s how the world is; that’s how I am.

I’ve wanted to try, and I have. Part of me desires to be like everyone else. And every time I fail, I feel the social rejection, the shame.

I know that my fellow drug-users feel it too—this sense that we have betrayed you.

That is why we hide in toilets, getting high alone. If you notice us in public bathrooms, we get afraid and angry at ourselves. It is the worst feeling of all—like getting caught with your pants down.

We always hear that we are not trying hard enough. You need to have more willpower and motivation—those are the kind of addicts Norway embraces!

And if you can be, or at least appear to be, totally drug-free, you are warmly welcomed into public life! Just as long as you make clear how much you deplore your previous life.

But the 90 percent of us who fail to achieve or don’t want to achieve total abstinence? We’d better stay in the background.

But what if us drug users can propose something positive for once?

Is it possible to imagine a future where I sit in a multipurpose room where drugs can be used openly and more safely, smoking my heroin before I write my contributions to public debate?

Is it possible to imagine a world where my friend, who is addicted to amphetamines, can use this facility before he goes around town to sell you Red Cross membership or a new electricity supplier?

Is it reality absurd to imagine a world where people who are addicted, or who use drugs for any reason, can stand up straight and contribute to society, without having to sneak into toilets or parking lots to take their drugs?

Drugs are an inevitable part of our world—but does the shame many of us are made to feel have to be?

Let me tell you a little secret. In one way, the future I imagined is already here.

Many of the politicians, teachers and economists—yes, even judges, policewomen and lawyers—who govern and care in our community do so with a regular supply of illicit drugs in their blood.

Many of them have the strength, determination and ability to make vital contributions to the running of our society and the creation of a better one—even if they don’t have the “willpower” to cut getting high 100 percent out of their lives.

In another way though, the future is as far away as ever.

In contrast to the idea of an inclusive and honest society, these people who contribute so much cannot be open or live with the dignity they deserve. In one way or another, we all sit behind closed toilet doors with a voice of shame in our head.

The harsh reality, too, is that literally sitting behind closed toilet doors, or in other lonely places, to do drugs is a major reason our fellow citizens die.

The need for secrecy and the attendant shame kills lawyers and unemployed people, magazine sellers, rock stars and sex workers.

When we use alone, there is no one to rescue us if we take too strong a dose, or if we use drugs that (thanks to prohibition) are not what we thought they were.

In my country and others, we impose so much deadly shame on people who use drugs.

It comes as no surprise to me the most popular and relevant TV drama about the generation growing up in Norway today is simply called Shame. Yet if we look at the sheer number of people who use drugs, it seems absurd that it should be that way.

Whatever we contribute, there’s no reason we should have to feel ashamed because we are different, whether we merely choose to change our consciousness with illicit drugs or because we feel compelled.

Those drug consumption rooms I mentioned are an achievable goal—they exist already in many parts of the world. We even have one—but just one!—right here in Oslo.

But more than that, let’s build a society where everyone can be judged on their personal merits and their contribution, not on what we shoot into our blood or draw into our lungs.

This article is part of my contribution to trying to get there.

In 2016 there should be no reason for anybody to lock themselves into a toilet alone to do drugs, to experience that feeling of shame, or to risk deadly consequences.
http://theinfluence.org/yes-im-actively-addicted-to-heroin-now-stop-shaming-me-for-it/

Beautiful.

And so true.

Reminds me of an article I once read about drug users committing suicide. Wish I could find that again.

Outstanding speech.

We should indeed be judged by our merits. This text made me remember how the world was in the early 1900s according to a couple of documentaries I've watched. The law enforcement did not existed to tell you as an individual what you could or could not be do or use. Society were free to take morphine for pain and other benzodiazepines if they or their doctors felt it was necessary. This was the point. This was between them and their families and doctors, just like we have no police telling us how much we can have of bacon with eggs or cigarettes. Not to mention the amount of alcohol and licit prescribed drugs we should or should not use, as long as we don't drive. I can see the hypocrisy.

When I was young, older people used to tell me to "do what I say not what I do". A drunk father or teacher telling his son he could not drink or smoke is in most cases what happens these days with the politicians, police force, teachers and even the common citizens making money with the Stock Market, including lawyers, etc. That's how society is in a lot of cases, especially when these groups 'owns' certain powers to reinforce that you do what you are supposed to because this is the law, regardless if they break them when it suits them.

Last edited:
He makes a very good point - even amongst love ones of addicts and professionals who are supposed to be helping them, there's often an attitude that an addict has to repent their past behavior before they can be recognized as sober or worthwhile, as though their drug addiction was some horrible sin they committed. It's an incredibly counterproductive attitude.

This has often been a line of thought I've explored. This notion we accept unquestioningly with little provided evidence due to it's claimed self evidence, that we have to want to get clean. That we either strive to get clean or we may as well strive for nothing.

And that if we fail we are losers for life. And if we don't fail we are always going to be that sort of person some people consider weak, not to mention other stereotypes, like we could have been infected by hep. c plus or other diseases and that at some point of our life we just wasted everything to be on drugs, that we gave up our lives.

I believe there are more people like that than the opposite. I've noticed how people change when they learn about our past. And some of these people were real friends or colleagues for decades, so I think it's better to keep it low profile for self protection. Especially if you have kids. This is very sad. Knowing that no matter how we improve or how we change we'll always carry something we can't change and that will always harm our images somehow.

Very good article. Unfortunately many drug addicts get labeled because there is such a low rate of sobriety after becoming addicted. The effect it has on the loved ones of the addict can be devastating and these are the people who "Shame" the addict out of spite.

Shaming addicts is a waste of time in my opinion. The withdrawals an addict suffers both short and long term feel worse than anything anyone can SAY to them.

Most addicts don't even know when they cross that invisible barrier between user/patient/recreational/ to full blown addict let alone know whats going on in their bodies or avenues to get help. That makes it even more difficult for an addicts loved ones to know how to support, help, treat the person. What's even sadder is a lot of rehab facilities and recovery programs take advantage of addicts financially and many don't have the ability to give truly comprehensive individualized plans for long term recovery. Many of my friends have said they MEET other addicts in rehab and when they get out those same people who relapse bring them down with them or even smuggle dope into the clinics.

It's just such a difficult situation for the addict. I know so many people who are smokers or alcoholics and they look down on other people depending on HOW HARD the substance is. It's really pathetic. In a perfect world everybody would be sober and happy but it's just not reality. When I look around and see people in my life I realize everyone's hooked on something unhealthy to varying degrees.

It's funny how in America their are so many special interest groups who fight for equality for people for any frivolous thing like race or gender but NO ONE lobbies for addicts to be treated equally.

Once you're labeled an addict everyone is seemingly against you. Sometimes it's even your own family. But courts, corporations, etc. treat addicts worse than violent criminals.

I know women who drug test their hubbies just praying he fails it so she can file for divorce, take the kids, the money, and never talk to the guy again. It's sick.

I've noticed how people change when they learn about our past. And some of these people were real friends or colleagues for decades, so I think it's better to keep it low profile for self protection. Especially if you have kids. This is very sad. Knowing that no matter how we improve or how we change we'll always carry something we can't change and that will always harm our images somehow.

TRUTH. In general I don't trust people. I am very reluctant to share any personal information than can be weaponized against me. It's good advice for all in general, regardless if they are addicts or not. There's no rule that says other people have the right to know every thing about you, especially something as sensitive as addiction.

There are studies, statistics. Experience in most cases working with similar cases, people who are addicts. And this goes back to decades. Obviously I can't predict what one person will do. But if you are together with people who are like that for decades you might have a clue.

You don't need to know anyone to know they can drown if they are in the water more than 5 minutes. Behaviour of addicts including myself is very predictable, even if I think I'm invincible.

The fact that he put "addict" in quotation marks leads me to believe that he doesn't really consider himself to be such, and perhaps he only feels like an addict due to the fact that he's using heroin, an infamous illegal drug. It's a well-known fact that you can drink a six pack of beer every single night and not be considered a drug addict, but you can snort a line of meth (or similar "hard drug") on a bi-weekly or monthly or maybe even yearly basis and society will often label you as someone with a "drug problem".

But that's society's problem. There's no need to feel shame if you're merely a drug user...if you're a scumbag and a drug user, yes, feel shame and use that shame to become a better person and change your ways...but even then, you should feel shame because of the scumbaggery, not because you use drugs necessarily (although the drug use can be a contributing factor to the scumbaggery). Other than that, though? Fuck what other people think. It's your life to live and you should make decisions re: drugs on an individual basis, balancing factors like what are the risks you're assuming with your drug use, what are the perceived benefits of said drug use, what are your positive contributions to the lives of other people, et cetera.

Knowing that no matter how we improve or how we change we'll always carry something we can't change and that will always harm our images somehow.

I'm a drug user and I refuse to feel shame about that fact. I didn't lie, cheat or steal (or worse) to support my habit; I contributed positively to the lives of other people and through the money I made doing that, I used drugs in order to add a little extra enjoyment to this very finite existence of mine. The autonomy of my own body and mind is a wonderful thing. Fuck what people think. :)

This is why I object to the term "clean" because the opposite is "dirty". Sometimes cleaning up language is a very good way to clean up shameful attitudes that kill.

This guy is so right on that people should be judged for their merits. Many people will picture governments subsidizing, at great expense to society in general, anyone that wants to do drugs all day and night while contributing nothing to their families or communities. Obviously if drugs are preventing you from living a full life intellectually and emotionally, and living responsibly in your community (and family if there is one), there is a problem. But what about when that is not the case? The fact does remain however that tolerance and addiction should never be underestimated. This guy may not come back and describe himself as "the most functional "addict' you can imagine" in a few years. This does nothing to negate his point about the stigma. IMO that is what we are all fighting for when we align our lives against The War on Drugs. We are fighting for realistic information, an end to the hypocritical stigma that demonizes one drug while glorifying others and real help (based on science, not moralistic puritanism) for those that want to safely use and those that want to be free of addiction through various levels of abstinence.