Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: C'wealth rejects needle exchange restrictions

Flexistentialist

Bluelight Crew
Thursday, April 17, 2003. 5:12pm

C'wealth rejects needle exchange restrictions

Australia has rejected a push by the United States to restrict the use of needle exchange programs.

The US has made the call during a meeting of justice ministers at a United Nations commission on drugs conference in Vienna.

Members of the European Parliament have also called for the relaxation of the "tough on drugs regime", to allow heroin trials and the legal use of cannabis.

This has been rejected by the majority of representatives, including Australia's Justice Minister, Chris Ellison.

But Senator Ellison says Australia cannot support the United States move against needle exchanges.

"In Russia where there is no needle exchange program, needles are responsible for over 90 per cent of the transmission of HIV AIDS," he said.

"Now in Germany where you do have a needle exchange program, only 4 per cent of the transmission of HIV AIDS is by way of needles.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s834904.htm

When there is 50-70% prevalence of HIV amongst injectors in some US cities, how can they try and tell us what to do?

Australia has had consistently low rates of HIV amongst injectors (around 2-4%) since the introduction of needle and syringe programs across the country.

I'm glad our gov had some balls for once ;)

Now all we have to do is give diabetics the same priviledge.

there is hope for australia yet, when it comes down to it how by having needle exchange programs the governments save millions on health care and associated costs, the trial run by avil (i think) saved heaps of dosh for the government.....

it looks like n this instance the new way of treating the problem is harm reduction........ i hope this follows through with other drugs

Last edited: