Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Looks awesome. Forrest whitaker is one of my favorites. Hoping its better than the first and it looks like it is.

So is this anything to do with The Force Awakens and the rest of the previous films of the series, or is it just a story that takes place sometime within the Star Wars universe as a stand alone film?

^ from Rogue One: "...a stand-alone story set in the Star Wars universe...Set shortly before the events of A New Hope, the story will center on a group of Rebel spies on a mission to steal the plans for the Galactic Empire's new weapon, the Death Star."

alasdair

Looks awesome. Forrest whitaker is one of my favorites. Hoping its better than the first and it looks like it is.

I like Whitaker as an actor. With that said, I prefer my Star Wars with as much unknown talent as possible, as I find characters to be stronger when I don't subconsciously associate the actor with other roles. When I see big names in science fiction films, it makes it harder for me to forget that they are just films and really get absorbed in the fun. I understand that I am in the minority here, and that big names were one of the few redeeming qualities of the prequels for many fans. I just like unknown talent when I imagine a "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."

When I first saw the trailer, I didn't know what to think. Ideally, I'd like Disney to really deviate from the main films and make some isolated stories with new characters. I mean, putting these films out at one per year is fan service. And I wouldn't want any film that is connected to the main story/characters to feel like it was rushed or could have been better with another year or two of development. Point being, if they bomb one of these, it would be better if it were isolated. Anyway, after seeing the trailer a few more times and watching some reactions to it on YouTube channels, I think this has a lot of potential. A lot of the hardcore fans are predicting this to be a grittier, more violent film than the others. If this actually is the case, that would be awesome.

As a twenty year Star Wars fan, I admit to having some issues with The Force Awakens. But none of them, thus far, seem relevant to Rouge One. I'm getting excited for this.

I like Whitaker as an actor. With that said, I prefer my Star Wars with as much unknown talent as possible, as I find characters to be stronger when I don't subconsciously associate the actor with other roles. When I see big names in science fiction films, it makes it harder for me to forget that they are just films and really get absorbed in the fun. I understand that I am in the minority here, and that big names were one of the few redeeming qualities of the prequels for many fans. I just like unknown talent when I imagine a "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."

When I first saw the trailer, I didn't know what to think. Ideally, I'd like Disney to really deviate from the main films and make some isolated stories with new characters. I mean, putting these films out at one per year is fan service. And I wouldn't want any film that is connected to the main story/characters to feel like it was rushed or could have been better with another year or two of development. Point being, if they bomb one of these, it would be better if it were isolated. Anyway, after seeing the trailer a few more times and watching some reactions to it on YouTube channels, I think this has a lot of potential. A lot of the hardcore fans are predicting this to be a grittier, more violent film than the others. If this actually is the case, that would be awesome.

As a twenty year Star Wars fan, I admit to having some issues with The Force Awakens. But none of them, thus far, seem relevant to Rouge One. I'm getting excited for this.

Agree with everything but the last sentence.

As far as "grittier", I'd love to see someone do to Star Wars what Christopher Nolan did to Batman. . . or hell, even Tim Burton (to an extent).

^ Ya, after really reading up on all of the ways Lucas took eclectic religious philosophies and used them to perfect his story-lines, Star Wars really came into a new light. It got even better and let me re-appreciate the films, this time as an educated adult. That's actually one of my problems with Episode VII, that it felt more like eye-candy and fan-service (i.e. please don't be like the prequels), still ultimately lacked the depth the original films had, at least partially because Lucas was not behind it. The prequels sucked for many other reasons, but I do think that Lucas did a good job with them keeping them religious/philosophical/political. Well, it's unfair to say that The Force Awakens is no philosophical it carries themes over, but it did not really introduce anything new. Or if it did, it must be pretty deeply hidden that nobody's been able to sum it up yet.

So yes, if the new SW films will not get philosophical, then at least let them get political. The analogy to Nolan/Batman is awesome. Making a SW film that is very political (political theory, not PC bullshit) would definitely send me back into nerd mode. I think they have a lot of good stuff in the literature (making films based on the X-Wing book series would be the best thing ever), but Disney's gone against the book evolution (I admit that I grew up on the books and I may have a bias Ep 7-9 could be that they deviate).

I'm not keeping my fingers crossed for true grit, though. I abandoned all hope of this once Disney bought the franchise. We'll never get anything bloodier than Pirates of the Caribbean.

(i.e. please don't be like the prequels), still ultimately lacked the depth the original films had, at least partially because Lucas was not behind it. The prequels sucked for many other reasons

even episode III? I thought episode three was up there with the original series in terms of quality.

even episode III? I thought episode three was up there with the original series in terms of quality.

I thought episode III was pretty good maybe better than VII even, but not as good as the originals. The originals were a true trilogy and three separate pieces to the same story. Same feel throughout all of them while still introducing some novelty. The first two were bad movies. The visuals in the third were better than the originals and I liked certain aspects of the more modern feel. I haven't even made it all the way through episode II ttytt and don't really intend to get through it. I think the prequels were mainly limited by their explanatory nature and not having the technology fully up to date. No excuse for the scripts.

Im also hoping for a grittier, more adult story. VII had too much of kids feel for my taste. Too disney. I do believe that disney has the potential to make good movies though so i haven't abandoned ship yet entirely. VII was fan maintenance and a preamble to what could be a great continuation. I think episode V is my favorite of the series. If we could get anything remotely close to that, I would be thrilled. Something dark and take some risks please. I think if they follow Marvels foot steps or try to appeal to a hunger game crowd, they will end up cheapening the series for me.

Red leader I agree with most of what you said about unknown talent. I think that was a blunder in the prequels and did more harm than good. you don't need stars in star wars movies. That said, forest whitaker is no samuel l jackson. He is one of my favorites and immensely talented. I can't think of anyone else in the prequels that remotely resembles the amount of talent that he has. If it has to be someone, might as well be him.

So im confused this is NOT epsiode VIII, right?

So im confused this is NOT epsiode VIII, right?

no its not. Episode VIII has Rian johnson directing (looper and some breaking bad episodes. He also wrote the screenplay. So excited its not Abrams. Word on the street is that it is a darker film.

more info on the films from the guardian here.

I actually have a higher opinion of the prequels than a lot of fans, especially Episode I (which I will still defend as a decent film). I have my issues with them (hence that quote), but they came out while I was growing up and I got very excited for them and they played a big role in my life. So I respect them and try and see the best in them. I definitely was not anywhere near as excited by Episode VII.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with episode VII as well

I thought episode III was pretty good maybe better than VII even, but not as good as the originals.

I dunno, I may be crucified for it, But I hold episode III to a higher regard than episode VI. The transition from the ultimate savior to the ultimate villain and the revelation of how Vader ultimately came to be, how the Empire was catapulted into power, how Obi Wan and his apprentice became mortal enemies. It just makes for a great film imo.

"So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause."

^ I can dig that. I overlook it a lot just bc i don't personally care for I or II. I was able to stomach them when i was younger, but they've since lost the sparkle. III was pretty damn good.

I didn't even know people not liking ROTJ was a thing until recently. Wouldve been better with wookies and the ewoks are kinda lame but its still a great movie. Lots of different sets, different worlds, etc. It was always my favorite when I was a kid. As an adult, I like V the best, but i just don't like the disjointed nature of the prequels. Pretty exhaustive undertaking to begin with.

You make me want to watch III again lol. Haven't seen it in a long time and only saw it a couple of times.

Lol yeah, I and II are at the very bottom of the list for me. They lacked the darkness (no pun intended) and gravitas of III. They were fluffy eyecandy. TBH, I feel like III could be a stand alone movie in itself if there were enough background info given in the beginning. By that I mean, they wouldn't even have had to put out I and II