• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Best drug to microdose for depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synaps3

Bluelighter
So I've heard about microdosing certain drugs (mostly MDMA and psilocybin) to treat depression and I think it's probably a good idea because I've tried antidepressants before and they just make me feel worse, so why not take something that actually makes you feel good :D in a low amount.

Anyway, I want to try this, but I want you're opinions on what you think would be the best for depression in a small amount.

It's also important for me that it not be at all stimulating when taken at the level required (because I'll probably take it later in the day).

Some ideas:
MDMA
4-aco-dmt
4-ho-met
mescaline
ethylphenidate

My thought is probably 4-ho-met because it seems to have the least mental effects of the tryptamines and it's not stimulating.

Ethylphenidate is not good because it only changes your brain Chemistry in a bad way on the long term (downregulation D2 receptors).

MDMA is quitte neurotoxic so I would not take that everyday either.

At the moment I am microdosing psilocybin. I take a dose just high enough to make me feel a little bit uncomfortable 1-2 times a week. It does seem to lessen feelings of depression but HPPD is a concern. I feel my HPPD slightly increased after just 2 weeks on it. It could be temporary in response to 5-HT2A downregulation..

I guess these

4-aco-dmt
4-ho-met
mescaline

would work aswell

MDMA is neurotoxic? The only place I've heard that from is Drug Policy shills and D.A.R.E. class.

Check out microdosing buprenorphine (I use +/- <0.25mg/day; for someone opioid naive, maybe closer to 50-100 micrograms)

i've heard of very rare cases where buprenorphine has beeen prescribed to treatment-resistant depression. i myself am on a bupe program and it is certainly a mood lifter and gives me just enough energy to get thru the day. i am not advocating the use of opiates for depression, but that was but my two cents

natural highs! e.g. your favorite meal, movie, TV show, social media outlet, art, music, exercise.

all of these activities can be microdosed throughout the day to keep one looking forward to exciting things!

i just can't see the HR value in recommending a poster a drug to microdose for depression. if this question was so easy to answer then we'd be rich

i've heard of very rare cases where buprenorphine has beeen prescribed to treatment-resistant depression. i myself am on a bupe program and it is certainly a mood lifter and gives me just enough energy to get thru the day. i am not advocating the use of opiates for depression, but that was but my two cents

I was going to say this too, although the OP could end up addicted to opiates, so it would probably be good to avoid that class of drugs in general unless he/she already uses them.

MDMA is neurotoxic? The only place I've heard that from is Drug Policy shills and D.A.R.E. class.

Check out microdosing buprenorphine (I use +/- <0.25mg/day; for someone opioid naive, maybe closer to 50-100 micrograms)

MDMA is neurotoxic, that's not propaganda. Using it like once a year won't induce noticeable toxicity but daily use is incredibly bad for your brain.

I too struggle with depression, I hope you find something that works.

Yeah they actually just finished the third phase of a major study on bupe for treatment resistant depression (edit: it went well; you can probably expect a bupe formulation for depression to be on the market in the next few years). It was also hypothesized to be useful in that capacity when it was first patented and marketed for pain/maintenance/detox.

When we're talking about doses as low as 50-100 micrograms max a day, I think the net benefit would outweigh any withdrawal syndrome you'd have to suffer down the line.

Last edited:
natural highs! e.g. your favorite meal, movie, TV show, social media outlet, art, music, exercise.

all of these activities can be microdosed throughout the day to keep one looking forward to exciting things!

i just can't see the HR value in recommending a poster a drug to microdose for depression. if this question was so easy to answer then we'd be rich

Excellent post. There is no drug you can micro-dose for depression that actually works in the longterm as well as things like meditation, exercise, and avoiding low blood sugar.

Excellent post. There is no drug you can micro-dose for depression that actually works in the longterm as well as things like meditation, exercise, and avoiding low blood sugar.

Wish it was true. Not for what some of us have been through. While I respect your post, I think you should consider how serious some people's conditions are. It might work for the rich college boys who are bored spending daddy's money, but not those who have been through the trenches.

I doubt David E. Nichols of all people is a "Drug policy shill"...

MDMA is widely accepted to be both neurotoxic and highly cardiotoxic. Since people usually only once roll every few weeks instead of on a daily basis, the long-term damage is pretty negligible for the average user. Alexander Shulgin, who consumed obscene amounts of cardiotoxic serotonergic drugs over the course of his life, only had to get heart valve surgery when he was already in his 80s.
Still, MDMA probably isn't something you want to "microdose" on a daily basis though.

Buprenorphine has helped me manage my symptoms of depression but I really don't think it's an option for anyone who isn't already physically dependent to opioids. You think being depressed now sucks, try being depressed and trying to detox too.

I really believe though that my "depression" is due to an endorphin deficiency though. I'm not sad so much as flat and low energy. I got hooked on dope because it gave me energy and I felt like a normal human being for once. Which explains bupe working so well.

I wouldn't use MDMA for this. I have definitely had improved mood and energy after using most hallucinogens.

Yeah they actually just finished the third phase of a major study on bupe for treatment resistant depression (edit: it went well; you can probably expect a bupe formulation for depression to be on the market in the next few years).

You mean ALKS-5461?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buprenorphine/samidorphan

It's basically a combo of Bupe + a µ-antagonist. The µ-antagonist blocks bupe's euphoric properties, while leaving its anti-depressant / anti-anxiety effects as a kappa-ligand.

Last edited:
Wish it was true. Not for what some of us have been through. While I respect your post, I think you should consider how serious some people's conditions are. It might work for the rich college boys who are bored spending daddy's money, but not those who have been through the trenches.

I have to agree. I was born with fucked brain chemistry. I've always felt "wrong," even as a little girl before I had the words to describe it. I find it incredibly insulting when people tell me to cure my severe depression with diet and exercise. Do you think if it was that easy I wouldn't be out doing just that? My depression drove me to addiction. Ironically, discovering heroin saved me from ending my own life because it made me realize it was possible to feel normal. You wouldn't tell someone with cancer to take a damn walk and eat more vegetables.

bupe is a mood lifter and gives me just enough energy to get thru the day. i am not advocating the use of opiates for depression, but that was but my two cents

I agree with other 2c, it has a stimulant edge with antidepressant value.
It is to be taken twice a day.
From this you get an opiate habit, but it's so small that is not a real concern

I have to agree. I was born with fucked brain chemistry. I've always felt "wrong," even as a little girl before I had the words to describe it. I find it incredibly insulting when people tell me to cure my severe depression with diet and exercise. Do you think if it was that easy I wouldn't be out doing just that? My depression drove me to addiction. Ironically, discovering heroin saved me from ending my own life because it made me realize it was possible to feel normal. You wouldn't tell someone with cancer to take a damn walk and eat more vegetables.

i don't see the problem with suggesting something other than drugs as if we were medicinal gods to people that are asking what drug will be good to take habitually for god alone knows how long.

i guess i can't see the HR value in recommending that maybe he try this, that or the other but if you think it's wrong to nudge them on to try a more natural route because it hasn't worked for your case then i rather not bother to even try to share my 2cents anymore in this forum.

i understand that maybe you felt 'wrong' even as a little girl. perhaps many of us all did and have found things like diet and exercise to work for them. i guess it is incredibly insulting to share experiences like this with those in need of advice.

i don't see the problem with suggesting something other than drugs as if we were medicinal gods to people that are asking what drug will be good to take habitually for god alone knows how long.

i guess i can't see the HR value in recommending that maybe he try this, that or the other but if you think it's wrong to nudge them on to try a more natural route because it hasn't worked for your case then i rather not bother to even try to share my 2cents anymore in this forum.

i understand that maybe you felt 'wrong' even as a little girl. perhaps many of us all did and have found things like diet and exercise to work for them. i guess it is incredibly insulting to share experiences like this with those in need of advice.

I'm not at all saying that you shouldn't have said that. Which is why I didn't quote your post. I think it's great when people suggest positive things that aren't illicit or even legal substances. And for someone who's just in a funk or going through a brief episode of depression they may very well work. I was just expressing my frustration with people who don't take mental illness seriously and who suggest diet and exercise as a fix for severe, chronic depression. As someone who struggles with that, I've definitely had people tell me that. I think diet and overall health is important but it's one piece of a much bigger picture. I'm vegetarian, eat mostly organic, and exercise daily. I'm in no way over weight. None of that changes the fact that if it weren't for medication, I would be unable to live any semblance of normal life. I'm sorry if you felt I was attacking you specifically.

You mean ALKS-5461?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buprenorphine/samidorphan

It's basically a combo of Bupe + a µ-antagonist. The µ-antagonist blocks bupe's euphoric properties, while leaving its anti-depressant / anti-anxiety effects as a kappa-ligand.

Yes, exactly this study. I guess I was wrong and Phase III isn't over yet, but they're still planning to market a formulation for the market within the year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.