• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Volunteer + Aid Work - Have you/would you?

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
I'm becoming increasingly interested in the prospect of going overseas at some stage to do some kind of aid work. I already know I want to travel, and I think this would be the perfect way to experience another culture, at the same time, doing a bit for the greater good of society :) I've done a bit of volunteer work in the past, running sports development squads for kids and I'm also involved with Surf Lifesaving

I'm curious to know if anyone else here is already involved in any kind of volunteer or charity work, or have done aid work.

If so, what did you do? Where did you go? How did you get involved in the first place? What's the motivation behind it? Alternatively, if you are thinking about it, what kind of cause would you like to work for?

Feel free to post any linkages!

:D

Well...

I'm also really damn keen on this idea. I like the idea of going somewhere and doing work that will help people, shit, I have no illusions about saving the world or that its particularly glorifying work, from what I hear a lot of it is uncomfortable, messy, dangerous, and so on and so forth, but given that I'm not in the idea because I think it sounds like fun, but because I would like to do something that makes a difference, I'm not particularly preturbed.

An interesting reminder of the dangers associated with aid work, recently in Afghanistan a foreign aid worker (I think they were with the International Committee of the Red Cross) was executed by militia, simply for being a foreign aid worker.

I think the International Committee for the Red Cross, Oxfam etc would be a good place to start looking for information, I'm unsure about their websites, I'm downloading so I can't go on a browser spree, but I'm pretty sure that a google search would come up with most of them.

-plaz out-

i have a friend who went to the pacific islands a fe wyears ago to help rebuild a city/village.they got into that their local church and a bunch of ten of em went over seas...another family i know also went to the northen territory to help rebuild a community there by making bricks...it was all non paid volunatry work...

my grand parents haave been to romania and they loved it.they worked in a hospital ther...if i had the chance i definantly would do it...i love the out come of helping people in need of help...go for it and you can do what ever u want to achieve hun...

best of luck=D

Make absolutely sure you're ready for this before you go. It's not something you just do on a whim, you have to be prepared to possibly go to a part of the world where there's no running water, electricity or any of the creature comforts we take for granted. You have to be comitted and really believe in what you're doing.

Else you're just going to waste other people's time.

Not meaning to discourage you, it's not easy, but if you really believe strongly in helping people and feel like you're ready, go for it.

i am thinking about doing overseas volunteer work after i grad this year as well.

go down to STA travels. they have a range of packages for O/S volunteer work.

or try this for a start. :)

i have been interested in this for ahwile, i think it would be great to be able to help people etc, but from what i can remember from when i last looked into it, unless you have a degree or qualifications in the areas that they want you wont be able to do it, i am not sure everyone is like this, well here is an example

this is from the australian volunteers international site:

Most positions will require you to have a recognised trade, professional or commercial qualification and adequate experience in your field of work - the type of qualification and amount of experience will depend on the employers' requirements. There are some opportunities for experienced people with practical skills but no formal qualifications, and for recent graduates and tradespeople with qualifications but limited work experience. You will be required to supply copies of your qualifications when you apply.

definately something I have been toying with ever since my family has been sponsoring children through worl vision.

I'd like to beleive I could... but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't be able too...

Good for you guys though :)

Yeah I agree with flea I couldn't do it.

I have done loads of volunteer work with disadvantaged kids tho, specifically abused children. I used to come home wanting to find their parents and beat the living daylights out of them. :( there's some horrible people in the world.

^^^^
As much as I would love to do it.. I don't think I could do it aswell.
I become to emotionally connected.. and I think in those type of jobs you have to see it for what is is a job.

Places like World Vision have volunteer work but you have to be prepared to really go push out Christian values to the community. Although I generally believe in what they do - I don't like the idea that they think just because they are helping them gives us the right to convert or try to convert their religious beliefs....

I spent 6 years with the St. Johns ambulance and it was good fun. Learn alot of useful stuff plus you get to go to events free (ok the uniform sucks.. but you can't have it all your own way).

I have also done some work for missions serving out food to the homeless. I personally think everyone should try it, even for 1 day, just to see how fortunate we really are.

See yas!

F

i was the prsident of the st vincent de paul club in highschool(yes i was a geek) and i organised bbqs for under privillaged kids and events and things

ive actually beenm thinking about taking my son with me overseas and doing missinary work...great way to see the world and experience life and help where its really needed

I went overseas in (98-99) and worked for the UN, in Israel. I was involved in lab testing of medical specimens in the westbank area. It was a voluntary position, however they did provide you with living allowance, housing, travel allowance, clothes allowance, etc.

Basically you got given everything you needed to keep you happy, but not paid the high wages one receives doing the same thing here in Australia. It was a great experience. I got to meet so many people, travel around the middle east, eastern europe. I've been missing those days so much, that I've been thinking of going for another term.

Maybe in 3-4 years time, I'll go back. Not only do you get many, many benefits out of doing such a thing, but it also helps you grow mentally/spiritually. People here in Australia don't know, and would never know how good we have it here, till they have travelled overseas, and seen what they have to make do with.

Last edited:
friskk said:
As much as I would love to do it.. I don't think I could do it aswell.
I become to emotionally connected.. and I think in those type of jobs you have to see it for what is is a job.

With those jobs, wouldn't it be better to get more involved, to feel passionate about it.

Like actually wanting to help the kids, rather than just doing it cause its your job?

Flea...

Sorry.. I should have specified I think this only relates to war torn areas..

From all that i've read and heard about the medical/social worker profession.. you try and keep away from the emotional side of thing. Yes, you should have a passion for what you do.. but becomming emotionally attached I think can cause problems.

First of all, you have to realise that even with all your hardwork change is not going to happen quickly. In remote/war stricken areas you will be seeing alot of people die around you.. no matter what you do. If emotionally attached to the people you might become depressed or disillusioned with everything... A feeling of helplessness.

You just have to except that people will die/be in pain/sick no matter what you do and that you are making a difference however small it is.
Seeing volunteer work as just a job keeps your sanity levels in check.. when i'm sure if you were attached to these people you would go a bit crazy with all the pain, sadness and death around you....

That's just my view on things.

F