• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Please help!!! Suicidal friend. I need to ask if she's safe with her prescriptions.

C

ClarissaAnonymous

Hi,

Will you PLEASE help me? I'm very worried about my friend & the suicide hotlines are no help at all. She's been depressed because she's in a lot of pain & has mentioned suicide though doesn't want to talk about it. I was at her house today & I counted her medications while she went to the store. If you need to know the amounts I can tell you. I'm relying on this to be private. You're the only place I can turn to for an intelligent answer. I don't want her to hurt herself. But if she goes to the mental hospital Medicaid won't pay (she's had that problem in the past & she's on Social Security.) & she will have a big bill she can't afford. Plus she's been mistreated there in the past & is terrified of the place. I had to come home because I have children & I can't be with her every minute. I want to help her.

She's prescribed oxycodone, morphine, valium & trazadone. She doesn't drink alcohol. I tried finding answers on the internet but all I can find is info about people overdosing because they drank with painkillers. Could she be in danger taking any of these medications alone???

I don't know how this works. Do I stay on this page waiting for an answer? I don't know how busy you are. I would REALLY appreciate your help. I'm very concerned. You're the only place I can turn to. The capital letters are not me yelling at you. I'm just trying to show that this is VERY important to me and, of course, her.

Thank you VERY much!!!!

If she truly is suicidal, then yes, her medication could be used to kill herself, also overdosing on meds is a typical suicide route for females. If you truly are worried about it, maybe take her meds and dispense them as needed until she returns to "normal".

- Hopeless Soul

The oxycodone, morphine, and valium could all be lethal if interested in large amounts by themselves and combined together is a death cocktail. Go check on your friend now ASAP like in person. Talk to her about this directly. You need her to convince you she has no intention of killing herself and she knows if she really needs help to call you or WCS go to an emergency patch evaluation at the hospital

Edit: It's been a while please update us OP. If your friend is non responsive to phone calls call an ambulance.... If she is not answering her door call an ambulance. Tell them your concerns of her overdosing.

Is this the first time? Are you sure she wasn't talking out of misery waiting for a refill or was this serious talk about her wanting to end her life.... Remember as well there's a difference in statements like, "I wish I was dead," or "I wish I could die," and statements of actually planning suicide such as "I am going to kill myself," or ideation, "I have been thinking of how to kill myself," or "It would be easy for me to kill myself (jumping, hit by a car, drug overdose" as the latter statements are signs of intent where the prior statements are more or less morbid thinking, which can easily lead to suicidal ideation if allowed to continue improperly managed.

Last edited:
Is she TRULY suicidal?? When you're in chronic pain you say that shit all the time but don't actually mean it. If she is truly suicidal, the talk will be constant. If its just when she's in pain, it's the pain talking. Still, its always helpful to be there for moral support. But telling others right away might do a lot more harm than good, unfortunately.

The LAST thing you want to do is get her sent to a mental hospital where they might not give her all the meds she needs. That'd definitely make me suicidal if I wasn't before.

The LAST thing you want to do is get her sent to a mental hospital where they might not give her all the meds she needs. That'd definitely make me suicidal if I wasn't before.
Definitely the case for me.... I've had 10+ hospitalizations most getting released in a day with no meds sometimes pain meds when I'm there even the last two times where I was hit by a car at 30-40 mph walking into traffic while another was four cuts in my left wrist with two needing about sixteen total in between the two.

Definitely be sure they need mental health evaluation, but don't be afraid to get them help if they need it.