• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What's the best way to handle the time while sick until picking up/getting your meds?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I can't handle it anymore. I can't eat or sleep, end up crying and ready to tear my hair out...every other problem is magnified 1000 times, and worst of all, I can't settle to ANYTHING including sleep because anxiety about inevitably feeling worse soon, having to go out while sick to feel better, and most of all - counting the hours left by the minute, so having to wait hours and hours with time crawling. Either that or having hot flashes and sweating attacks, turning off the heat or turning on the fan only to be freezing cold and have chills, repeat all night. I know most of it (physical and mental) is either psychological or made worse by going through this, but I know this is how withdrawal feels so I expect many people have advice on the best ways to cope

Clonidine is a blood pressure medicine that may help mitigate many of your symptoms, especially the hot/cold and restless legs. It's also useful for sleep or you could try some sort of benzo to get you through the night. When can you pick up your new prescription?

Hi Bomb,
I'm nearing the end of a fast taper off methadone. My best way to tolerate is playing really complex video games. Right now, I'm using the game "Don't Starve", but maybe you would prefer Minecraft.
I find that gaming is much more immersive than watching movies or reading. I've been able to put off the next crumb for hours with this.

I keep alternating ice packs in the fridge and always have a glass of ice water next to me. I'm trying to avoid the benzos, because I need to save them for next week when I will run out entirely.

I might try using my Saphris, ( a psych med for bi-polars that knocks me right out ), just to get some sleep. I've averaged 3 hours of sleep for the past 32 days.
When I was on 140 mg /day, I had no trouble sleeping 12-15 hours a day.
Now that I'm approaching the end, I wake up freezing 'cause my head is soaked in sweat.

Can you get a friend to bring you some booze and Immodium?
Do you have access to Klonipin and/or valium? They help alot.

How you doing with the RLS?
That's the part that I hate the most.
Just horrible.

I know that the horror is coming soon. I just hope I can avoid the terrible place you are in by tapering.

Please keep writing. Let me know how you're doing.

There isn't much you can do or a good activity to do while waiting for your dealer..you usually have zero energy so trying to sleep is the best idea but impossible if you don't have benzos or seroquel.i remember taking 80 mgs of Valium to knock myself out once because I had to wait 7 more hour until my dealer came around..being dopesick is no way to live

Can you get kratom and/or loperamide (low doses only though, use as recommended on the box regardless of your tolerance)? Those should hold you over. Otherwise just "comfort" drugs like others have mentioned, ie clonidine, pregabalin, benzos, etc.

the best thing you can do is keep yourself occupied physically. and honestly the hardest thing to do in regards to this is getting out of bed. however once you do that with the intent of getting things accomplished that day, all of your other physical movements will begin to help you forget about your withdrawal, if only temporarily. and when it comes to sleep, what always worked for me was to take high doses of lyrica, then take a VERY hot bath. the purpose of the bath is to help pass the time while the lyrica kicks in, as well as getting you comfortable for the 5-10 minutes it takes for you to fall into your lyrica coma after getting out of the bath. the most important key here is creating a comfortable environment prior to taking the bath that will not hinder your ability to fall asleep. this is important because once you get out of the bath you are on a timeline. once you stop hearing your pulse in your ears, your withdrawal will begin to creep back in. if you've never taken lyrica i recommend starting at 150mg. and if you can't get lyrica then request high dose gabapentin. you will notice your withdrawals will be slightly subsided the morning after taking lyrica, which in turn will help you with getting out of bed and repeating the process.

i used to smoke weed and crack while i would wait for my H dealer sometimes... the weed would take the edge off and the crack would somewhat satisfy my craving for the rush

You could try withdrawing all the way and quitting. I used to go through withdrawals monthly from Percocet and it's a bitch. I finally canceled my appointment with the pm doc and won't go back. I did however get very good at controlling the physical withdrawal with loperamide and Benadryl.

A friend of mine once accidentally detoxed without noticing any symptoms except for the occasional sneeze. She did it by using crack non-stop. Not a safe way to go but effective.

Orgasm is the gift when fresh off, especially if you are female! So wank away.

Really? Man...definitely not me! Using stimulants, especially such potent ones like crack, when I'm already going through withdrawal makes the whole experience about a hundred times worse :( Maybe it depends on how severe it is, or how long you've been on the opiate for..but when I'm sick and craving relaxation, stims are the last thing that would make me feel better, and the anxiety and paranoia that they give me would syngergize with the withdrawal and likely give me either a heart attack, stroke, or the largest panic attack known to man :/

I know everybody has different physiology and preferences though, and I really appreciate your help, Diane :) For ALL your posts in my topic and another one, I think :) :) :)