• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Naltrexone - permanently blocked receptors?

blaine0136

Bluelighter
I stopped taking it almost 3 months ago, i still have persistent effects and it seems to be still blocking

Is it possible my receptors are blocked for life?!

No, even if your receptors would bind covalent(permanent) with the naltrexone, they would die off eventually, making place for new ones, that are not bound to naltrexone.
What are the persistent effects you are feeling?

No, even if your receptors would bind covalent(permanent) with the naltrexone, they would die off eventually, making place for new ones, that are not bound to naltrexone.
What are the persistent effects you are feeling?

thanks for the reply

the effects are - an all day runners high. hair loss. no pleasure from orgasm (its like urinating) - sorry to be graphic

i also took some pain pills over the last week, increasing in dose, and got no effect, no euphoria.

please understand its not 'all in my head' like some would probably suggest, its very real and thats why im worried its permanent.

maybe i have a 'faulty' opioid system? something of a rarity?

I'm afraid I can't help you, did you already see a doctor? I think your best bet would be to visit both a neurologist and a psychologist, maybe try CBT.
Good luck

I'm afraid I can't help you, did you already see a doctor? I think your best bet would be to visit both a neurologist and a psychologist, maybe try CBT.
Good luck

Just a final question, are you sure its not permanent?

Also, my liver is not in good shape at the moment, wonder if that would slow metabolising of naltrexone?

thanks

I'm pretty sure it's not permanent.
When was your last dose of naltrexone?
The brain is really powerful and can heal itself, but it takes time. Lay down all drugs, eat healthy and work out, get as much vitamin D as possible. Get some blood work done. Try and find a psychologist,mine helped me a lot to get trough a rough time.

last dose was november

recent blood work suggests an inflamed liver, could of been going on for months. I know that would have an impact on metabolism

I don't think that it would take months to metabolize, I would say a few days, but not month.

No you are not stuck like this forever. It's not possible to block your opioid receptors forever!
Maybe you are experiencing some sort of anxiety. Get professional help!

i appreciate your help, but please understand, it is not all in my head! opiate pain pills do not work, they are being blocked still

okay, reading REALLY helps in a situation like this, naloxone =/= naltrexone. Naloxone is what you find in low doses in suboxone. Naltrexone is Vivitrol, which is supposed to block opiates/oids for at least a month. What you are feeling is COMPLETELY normal, and my guess is that you not knowing this means you are rather young? If not, that is Okay, but you might want to do some research before agreeing to something like this if you are an adult and paying that much a month.

But he just took one 25mg pill per day for 8 days and the half life of naltrexone is around 100 hours
The intramuscular injections block opiates for a month, if I'm not mistaken.
This is the OPs last thread http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/780394-Naltrexone-help-advice-please

Okay that certainly makes it different. I have been on a medical hiatus for about two months and am just making my way back. Normally people taking this are taking the Vivitrol injection. If this is happening my best guess is that it is all in your head, but I can not be sure, just use occam's razor. And assume it has the same duration as Vivitrol, then once a month is up try going back to the usual. Actually, Fuck all that. Just cut that shit out of your life while you still can. You are not feeling any euphoria from Opiates any more? Lucky fucker. Get out NOW.

Okay that certainly makes it different. I have been on a medical hiatus for about two months and am just making my way back. Normally people taking this are taking the Vivitrol injection. If this is happening my best guess is that it is all in your head, but I can not be sure, just use occam's razor. And assume it has the same duration as Vivitrol, then once a month is up try going back to the usual. Actually, Fuck all that. Just cut that shit out of your life while you still can. You are not feeling any euphoria from Opiates any more? Lucky fucker. Get out NOW.

i appreciate your reply, but it is NOT in my head. its not normal to have an all day runners high and no pleasure from orgasm, literally feels like im urinating

please note; i dont want to return to opiates, i was only seeing if i got an effect, which i didnt. so there must be blocking still going on

What opiate did you take and what was the dosage?
Can you try to make something like a time line, like when did you take opiates, what were the side effects, when did you start taking naltrexone etc.
I really hope that you will be feeling better soon.

i took tramadol for 7 months. no side effects while taking it. habit ended up being 200mg at night, all at once. i stopped taking it in April 2014

18 months on and still no recovery, low sex drive, low motivation, felt 'dead' to be honest

people told me on other forums Naltrexone would help sensitize receptors

November 2015 i started Naltrexone for around 8 days. i started feeling alot better, sex drive has been high, motivation and a real feeling of well being. i dont feel dead anymore

however the side effects as i explained above in previous posts and still persisting. i do apologize if you think i am lying or i am crazy, but its real and im scared

I don't think that you are lying / crazy. I can more or less relate, I suffer from an illness and I too think it's physical and not "just in my head" but I don't know. Maybe it's really anxiety.
What makes you so sure it's not anxiety?
I'm really sorry that you are going through this.

Anxiety has a lot of different faces, I suffer from social anxiety and sometimes when I'm out it feels like I'm dying, even though I know I'm not. There was a time every time I would leave the house I felt like I was on the verge of collapsing, but I never did.

What pain pills did you take and how much?