Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What i want to be when i grow up...

doofqueen

Bluelighter
I want to know if everyone is actually happy with what they are doing with their life career wise...and if they are actually doing what they wanted to do since they were kids and if they have found what they are 'meant' to be doing...

for example..i have wanted to be a school teacher since i was 10 yrs old and went through so many yrs of tafe and uni courses to actually gte into my degree...i finally did and the beginning of the second year of b/teaching and b/arts i decided that i wanted a break from uni because i wasnt sure if i was sick of uni and the pressure i had from family to finish cos i was constantly getting things said to me like

"we travelled half way round the world for u to make something of yourself"

"get a degree and become something"

"your a single mum on the pension...do something with your life" and yada yad yada

so i wanted to have a bit of selfish 'me' time and work myself out and i have to say that i have had the best yr of my life and found out that i am meant to me a nurse in this world...

nursing to me is just putting a smile on someones face and making their day alittle more comfortable and i think i could do that all day long...maybe its the mum in me, im not sure but it just feels right and thats what im supposed to do...my contribution to the planet :)

although i am very interested in pycology (good thing i quit teaching cos i cant even spell 8) ) and will be doing that this yr just 4 the hell of it! just cos im interested and want to know about it and after i get my degree for that..i'll become a nurse and hopefully even intertwine the 2 together...id also like to do art and music therapy and work in hospitals and prisons and mental institutions and help ppl dsicover art and music while helping them deal with emotions...lost of goals...but i'll get there one day

although maybe i will do teaching aswell when i finish all the above...i would make a great teacher and lots of ppl tell me :)

i am a helper and carer in this world...what part do u play and are u happy with it?

I am a spinner of shit (ie. I work in PR), and no I'm not happy... I'm absolutely miserable in fact.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have become accustomed to the money and lost sight of my original dream, which was to work on a magazine as a features writer.

Oh ok. I haven't completely lost sight of it, I do freelance on occasion, but am no-where near being editor of Cosmo and living in my waterfront penthouse I imagined when I was 15... lol... :\

When I was a little boy, I wanted to become a doctor. However, as you all probably know, life had different plans.

Right now I'm finishing my uni degree in Commerce (Management/Marketing), and hopefully get a nice job.

Maybe life has another couple of supprises ready for me?

I was always told that i was good at organising shit when I was young, so i decieded I wanted to do event management/PR.

I didn't get into the right major, so I started a Bachlor of Communication (information) and did PR electives. In second year I decided it wasn't really what i wanted, and realised that what my actual degree was teachning me was ever so much more stimulating.

I am now aiming for a industry position in Information/knowledge management or research while I finish my final four subjects off.

When I was little I wanted to be a writer, and it's still kind of in the long term plan, but not the great poet I imagined.

Of course I'm studying at the moment, but if I can get a job in my chosen field - freshwater ecology - I will be very happy. I was lucky and realized I wanted to do something environmental and science based when I was about 12. I really enjoyed uni (aside from the stress) but couldn't get a job with a zoology degree so I ended up with a shitty office job that paid minimum wage until I could get back to uni to do post-grad.

So hopefully I'll be doing what I want in a couple more months *crosses everything*

in the long term, i would like to get into property developement. i have since about yr 10. i got into the course i wanted to [BA Business (property)] but fucked around for a lil' but in 1st year. currently doing second and a half year;) i got my Agent's Representatives license earlier this year so i can now sell houses:) about to start looking for a part time job at an agency.

ill get there...one day!

at the moment im workn in a bar, im a contributor to the pokie/drinking problem in NSW and Aus as a whole, i hate it but it's paying 4 me 2 get thru uni.
At uni im doing a major in Psychology, and a major in philosophy. im in 2nd year psy, and 3rd year phil. i enjoy the phil alot more, metaphysical not ethical tho. i like thinking about stuff basically. psy is sometimes more bullshit than the phil (hard to imagine), im not as enthuastic about it tho, its very competitive, and there's alont of those 'over enthuastic' students that think that since they've read a book on freud they can interrupt the lecturer every 5 mins to say that 'i read a book the other day and....blah blah blah'
since theres no money in philosophy, unless i start writing books that probably no one will buy, i decided to do both as majors and see where i land at the end.
i always thought of doing music threapy,i spent most my 1st and 2nd years at uni doing some music corses (along with all that other stuff) but it wasnt the theoritical stuff i was hoping for, i'd have 2 go to the con ot get what i wanted out of a music corse. i also thought of becoming a music teacher for a while but i couldnt at the uni i was at and wasnt sure about the pay, or even if i could get a job cos not many schools have a permanant music teacher.
haha sorry i was supposed to b helping you, well i hope that not that i've talks about myself u'll get some insight.... somehow i dunno. its the asme all over uni tho, no one knows what they want to do, really, its a really tough decision, but u need to SOMETHING dont you?

I always wanted to be an air hostess when i was a little, and i was really really into that for ages, then i went on a holiday and got all air sick on the plane, so i had a humungous 24 flight of violent throwing up ... and then another 24hr throw up flight back home :(

So yeah that dream will probably never come about, in a way i spose i got half way there, i am the "unglorified air hostess" who does a very similar job but on land.

My newest dream for when i grow up, is to finish my uni degree, almost there .. then i finally get to do what i always wanted to do ...... carry a briefcase :)

Something like 85% of all careers are accidents so the chances of landing a job in something you wanted to do when you were 12 years old seem pretty slim to me.

I work in the financial planning industry (a job I fell into by accident) and i really love it. Meeting with clients and helping them map out their futures and goals (and making them money!) is a lot of fun. I think the greatest part of the job is that you're always learning and being challenged, and that's what keeps it exciting and fresh for me. %)

I love my job. I am a Training & Development Manager and a Public Speaker.

Basically I manage projects and people in the training and development department of our company and associated businesses and run seminars and training courses on a variety of subjects, concentrating lately on Behavioural Profiling and how Human Resources and Managers can use these tools to help build more effective work teams. In the general scope of my work I speak on subjects from customer service to executive management and team building skills, and I get to fly round Australia doing it :)

I’m not doing what I wanted to do as a child... which literally changed with the wind, I wanted to be an actress, a singer, a forensic scientist, a psychologist, a writer, doctor, lawyer... you name it, I wanted to be it.

I really really envy those who say at 5 that they want to be a fireman and grow up to be just that, but I’ve been totally blessed with my job and where it has managed to take me. I’ve been given chances to grow that I normally wouldn’t have dreamed of, and I adore my job (even if I do whinge about it occasionally).

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up... I've got plenty of time to find out, but for now I want to be right where I am.

The entire time I was growing up, all I ever wanted to do was comics. I wrote and drew constantly, came up with series outlines, bought books on self-publishing, the whole thing....

Then I realised that it ain't really a great money-spinner, as is pretty much no artsy thingamy...

So instead I work in customer service, on the phone. I hate it. :(

I want to do something creative, or something where I get to help people, but I find it really hard to motivate myself to get out of this...not really sure where to go with it all.

Anywho...I guess that's why there's beer :\

--Raz--

always wanted to be a pilot like my old man but well....... every1 knows how dreams and life are 2 different things. at the moment im finishing a cisco networking engineer course which should provide well but until im out in the force doin it 4 real i wont know if its really for me or not. wish me luck cause otherwise i have no fucking idea wat im gonna do

when i was little i always wanted to be a socail worker...or work with the under priveledged.i use to run camps and activites where parents who have little money or are on a benefit can send their kids and they have a week away...the kids do activites and learn to relax and have fun...

now i work in a bar and do casual reception work (when i have a job) and since comencing bar work 5yrs ago i have started doin various courses and now have a total differnt ambition from when i was a kid...my aim now is to become a club/pub licencee and eventually be part or full owners in an establishment... =D i am happy with my current path...and its something and a good area that i really enjoy and i thrive on the atmosphere.

doofqueen: your not a cancer sign or a water sign are you?

I see where your coming from. I'm in my 2nd year of Bachelor of Nursing and it wasn't what i thought it would be.

Many times i have a pre-pre-pre-mid life crisis in class and wonder what the hell am i doing. When i was little i wanted to be a secretary, a school teacher, artist or a famous singer/actress. Didn't happen... did it? I may hate what i'm doing now, but maybe when i finish my degree and make some money, i might enjoy it.

I saw this sign one day and it said "Do what makes you happy, dont try to be happy in what you do"

After i saw that sign, i dropped out of my course at uni, and enrolled in a completey different one. Whether that actually made me happy i still dont know. Studying something is so different to really doing that job.

Quite possibly you will end up lovin nursing who knows hey!!

.. when i grow up i just want a f/t job ... and to not have to study anymore :)

Collect a couple of postgrad degrees, nail some ivory tower job in academia or public service, then while away the rest of my life writing stuff and reading interesting books.

Why not?

I've grown up and I still don't really know what I want to be.

Ok so I have no idea really.

I've wanted to do everything from Nursing to Teaching to becoming a Psychologist to being a Jeweller to being a Flight Attendant to whatever.......

No I haven't even began to seriously explore any of those options, however I've decided that for the meantime I'd like to work in the Travel Industry simply for the discounted travel, because I figure that at least in the meantime I can have fun.

when i was really little i wanted to be a jockey or a mounted policewoman coz i figured that way i'd get paid to ride horses! also, people kept telling me i was the size to be a jockey! i now HATE horse racing and have no wish to be a part of the police force. then i wanted to be a vet to help animals and stuff - i was into that idea all the way up until year 10 when i went to a careers day at a uni and saw all the surgery and stuff you'd have to do. so i decided i'd do zoology and look after animals when they were well.

by the time i finished year 12 i was sick of the sciences and started doing psych at uni but dropped it after 1 semester. i ended up doing my first degree majoring in criminology. so after a year and half in the workforce i am back at uni doing law. this is what i think i want to do..... ideally i'd love to end up somewhere working with women or even minority groups in law - in a social justice/helping people kinda role. however, i am loathe to pidgeon hole myself at this stage of my degree. although i've got a bit over 2 & 1/2 years to go (pleanty of time to change my mind) i am pretty sure this is the path i want to be on....

yay for direction!
bk:)

Interesting...

I had so many aspirations when i was little - i wanted to be everything except an astonaut...

Now i am working my way towards becoming a professional translator/interpreter. I already speak french as a second language, and am learning spanish as a third. I love languages and people, so i figure that this is perfect for me.
I'm trying to get across into a BA in Communications + Int. Stud. to escape from this dreadful tourism degree that i am currently faced with. My idea is travel around developping my skills in each of my three languages, and hopefully pick up a few more (Japanese, Russian, Portugese, Hebrew), then in later life settle down with lots of life experiences under my belt, and become a playright. Kind of like the Isben of our time....

Whether or not that actually happens, remains to be seen. :\ But i'm already part way there... :)