• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

the "Warning Signs" of drug use

useless

Bluelighter
I fucking hate these articles..
it sucks how they advocate reading kid's journals and searching their rooms...

here's the picture that went with it
Warning signs
Parents are learning that street drugs look like candy, and kids are ‘hiding’ them out in the open
By Kathy Lynn Gray THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Ever look for ecstasy in your son’s Pez dispenser? How about that ever-present Chap Stick jammed in your daughter’s pocket?
Those are just two of the common hiding places for tablets of the illegal stimulant popular among teen-agers, narcotics detectives are warning parents, teachers and social workers.

Two undercover Franklin County deputies are laying out this type of practical information in a fourhour workshop dubbed Operation Street Smart. They hope the workshop will be a powerful weapon in the war against drugs, including ecstasy, a designer-drug variation of the hallucinogen mescaline and the stimulant amphetamine.

"You’ve got to be able to talk about drugs with kids, and you need to understand what you’re talking about,’’ Sgt. Mike Powell explained at a recent Street Smart session.

Teens who sprinkle their conversations with talk of rolls or rolling — as in "I’ve got Rolaids,’’ "I’ve got Tootsie Rolls’’ or even "I’m going Rollerblading’’ — may be talking about ecstasy, Powell said.

Roll is one of many names for the drug, also known as Y2K, 007, Smurf and Motorola.

"We try to cover all the new designer drugs and talk about the paraphernalia — the things you can look for to see if a child is on some type of drug,’’ detective David Hunt said.

Sunglasses might hide dilated pupils, a telltale sign of stimulant use, or the shrunken pupils that signal opiate use.
Baby pacifiers can signal ecstasy use: Users suck on them to reduce the teeth-grinding the drug causes.

"Mom and Dad see a pacifier around Junior’s neck, and they think: ‘Oh, that’s cute,’ ’’ Hunt said.

They might feel the same about Pixy Stix, which can be emptied and filled with ground-up ecstasy, Powell said.

A 16-year-old Dublin girl now in a drug-rehabilitation program said she hid her ecstasy inside Tylenol bottles, a mascara container (after removing the inside liner) and a small, metal container for jelly beans.

"If my mom had only looked in that jelly-bean container and seen that there weren’t jelly beans in there for years,’’ she lamented.

In the house, she hid it in holes in the wall and between ceiling rafters.

A 13-year-old Reynoldsburg boy who has smoked marijuana for a year said he hid the drug under the foil of his cigarette pack or in a secret pocket in his Fubu pants.

"It’s such a joke to hide it from parents,’’ the Dublin girl said. "Kids can’t believe how clueless parents are when it’s right in their face.’’

The idea for the Street Smart workshops evolved from a conversation between Steven Tucker, an officer with the Drug Abuse Resistance Education program, and a seventh-grader who had brought marijuana to school.

"He was using terms like rolling and candy flipping, and I had no clue what he was talking about,’’ Tucker said. "So I immediately got on the phone to our narcotics guys, and they translated for me.’’

He then suggested that the narcotics deputies train DARE officers in drug lingo. The concept was so well-received that it grew into the Street Smart program, funded by a federal grant obtained by Franklin County.

Powell and Hunt first concentrated on training police and teachers but recently branched out to parent groups.

"It would have been very helpful when my son was younger,’’ said Danny Dahl, a 54-year-old caseworker with Children Services who sat through the workshop last month. "What surprised me is that a lot of these drugs are aimed at kids, and that scares me the most.’’

Although Powell and Hunt’s aim is not to frighten, stories they told last month of two central Ohio teens who died in October from mixtures of morphine and over-the-counter cough medicine numbed Kim Toler.

"As drug dealers become more crafty, we have to be aware of how they induce kids to use drugs,’’ said Toler of Grove City, who is director of adoptions for Children Services and a mother of two. "I’ll explain to my kids now how some drugs look like Nerds, and the Pez thing.’’

According to the Office of National Drug Control Policy in Washington, the number of eighth-graders who used marijuana doubled between 1991 and 2001 — to one in five from one in 10.

That’s how the Dublin girl began her 2
• years of drug usage. She smoked bud (marijuana) to fit in with the popular kids but quickly moved to beans (ecstasy) and then yayo (cocaine).

"Bud seemed like such a minor thing, but it was a gateway drug for me,’’ she said
Parents who used drugs in the 1960s and ’70s, Hunt said, can’t assume they understand today’s drug scene.

"Sixty to 70 percent of the drugs on the street, most adults did not have access to when they were in college. Even marijuana has changed — it’s even more potent than it was before.’’

Hunt urges parents to look for signals of drug use.
"Go through their rooms,’’ he said. "Read their diaries.’’
At one Street Smart session, he talked about a 17-year-old from New Albany who kept the LSD and marijuana he was selling in the top drawer of his bedroom dresser — along with wads of cash.

"His parents said that was his space,’’ Hunt said, "and they didn’t go in there.’’

The Dublin girl said parents should not adopt such an attitude.
"I don’t think random searches are very fair, but if they become suspicious, then they should search,’’ she said.

"One school administrator caught me and kind of looked the other way. I wish they hadn’t let me off so easily.’’

here's the article

Last edited by a moderator:
They should lock up the young kids that like Suckers and Pez and all the moms who have cough syrup. :p

articles like that *really* fucking get under my skin. im around a few peopel that have those ideas, and its all i can do not to go off on them and chew them way the fuck out.

As long as most parents continue to be convinced that marijuana and heroin are the same thing, then they will still follow the pattern of freaking out and tormenting/evicting Junior whenever they find that little baggy with the magic herbs hidden under the mattress. Educate your children rather than searching them.

Alright, now that I'm done with that post, I'm going to go rollerblading for a little bit... need to get healthy, you know.

Seriously... what the fuck? This is worse than that DEA drug slang list.

Put your left arm in.....etc

Same articles like that piss me off aswell, I have to listen to people go on and on about how drugs are bad, they have no idea wot its like to live in this day and age, If this is the way to feel great then go for it, I say... tehehehehe

As long as most parents continue to be convinced that marijuana and heroin are the same thing,

In the past decade, I have never even heard a reference suggesting one parent believed any such thing.

Somehow I get the impression that you're exaggerating because YOU want to make the point that a parent that thinks marijuana is dangerous doesn't know what they're talking about.

Educate your children rather than searching them.

I was well educated about drugs. I still used them.

Why should parents not search their children if they suspect drug use whether or not they are educated?

The most educated of teenagers make horrible mistakes and irresponsible decisions.

Personally, the fact that my parents occassionally searched my room and examined me after coming home from parties after they suspected I was using drugs definantly kept me from using drugs as often as I liked.

Personally, the fact that my parents occassionally searched my room and examined me after coming home from parties after they suspected I was using drugs definantly kept me from using drugs as often as I liked.

Word!
I couldnt agree more...

I think it's a case of tough love.

In the past decade, I have never even heard a reference suggesting one parent believed any such thing.

High school is a time when many kids are at their most impressionable. At my high school, and at many others, I was given countless quotations from the DARE handbook and the Partnership for a Drug Free America. My parents and millions of other parents were given the very same literature. In this literature, marijuana and heroin were pictured on the same page in the exact same context of caution. In the American prohibitionist culture, heroin and marijuana are labeled simply as drugs. They are equals. A prohibtionist culture does not educate; it generalizes -- drugs are drugs, and drugs are bad. People are not told that heroin is addictive and dangerous. They are told that marijuana and heroin are addictive and dangerous. Junior takes his first puff of herb and thinks, subconsiously, I have been conditioned to think of all drugs are equal, marijuana has made me feel calm and relaxed -- there is no danger, why, then, cannot I use heroin without the same consequences -- none. If your parents differentiated heroin from marijuana, then you are the exception to the rule. This is not typical of American public education. (see the National Education Association www.nea.org, DARE www.dare.org, etc., where drugs are declared as virtually one denomination.)

Education rather occurs through an exercise in reality -- through building trust, so that when Junior takes that inevitable puff he understands that high-powered opiates are NOT in the same ballpark. We all know the tragic stories of opiate addication. These stories would be substanially fewer if drugs were not placed on a sliding scale of relative eqaulity, where all drugs were not perceived as similar.

Education and prevention is worth so much more than police actions like searching.

Somehow I get the impression that you're exaggerating because YOU want to make the point that a parent that thinks marijuana is dangerous doesn't know what they're talking about.

I do not know why one would even infer such a thing. Please enlighten me as to where I even come close to implying this. Marijuana is indeed dangerous, but it is nothing like battling an opiate addiction.

When I was going through DARE back in 5th grade, I do remember that they did not differentiate between things such as marijuana and cocaine- they showed us pictures of "every" drug in a slide show, and we practiced saying no. That was it.

I DEFINITLY think that informed education and open discussion, with less of a restrictive nature placed on it would be so much more useful than room searching and diary-reading- cause those things ONLY cause resentment. Which, I know from experience, does Not help clear up the issue of drugs...

Last edited:
"As drug dealers become more crafty, we have to be aware of how they induce kids to use drugs,’’ said Toler of Grove City, who is director of adoptions for Children Services and a mother of two. "I’ll explain to my kids now how some drugs look like Nerds, and the Pez thing.’’

i love how they quoted someone IN THE ARTICLE who totally misunderstood the article's thesis!!! no one said that drug dealers were disguising pills as candy to get kids hooked - they said that the children themselves were disguising pills as candy. gaah. even after being bombarded with 93725098243760913874609 examples of how most of the media (and most of the public, for that matter) are ignorant and incapable of critical thought, bullshit like this still drives me crazy.

I DEFINITLY think that informed education and open discussion, with less of a restrictive nature placed on it would be so much more useful than room searching and diary-reading- cause those things ONLY cause resentment.

i couldn't agree more. searching kids' rooms might force them to use drugs less in the short term, but it's also going to foster resentment and distrust, which will actually INCREASE the chances of kids blowing off their parents' advice and doing tons of drugs as soon as they move out of the house and there isn't an authority figure spying on them to make sure they're doing what they're supposed to. if parents treat kids with respect and don't invade their privacy, though, the kids might actually listen to what the parents tell them about responsible drug use and incorporate it into their behavior on their own.

in extreme cases, like if a kid is really young or if they're clearly out of control, i do think room searches are probably a good idea....but for the vast majority of kids who aren't ruining their lives with drugs, i think it can do more harm than good.

Last edited:
High school is a time when many kids are at their most impressionable. At my high school, and at many others, I was given countless quotations from the DARE handbook and the Partnership for a Drug Free America. My parents and millions of other parents were given the very same literature. In this literature, marijuana and heroin were pictured on the same page in the exact same context of caution.

http://www.dare.com/DrugInformation/Story.asp?N=DrugInformation&M=11&S=24

http://www.dare.com/DrugInformation/Story.asp?N=DrugInformation&M=11&S=21

(it's setting off some code, without any spaces it should be ".asp ? N = Drug").

I suggest you go to these DARE links.

Either I can't read, or the dangers given for both drugs are different.

Exactly like I recall from my days in the DARE program over a decade ago.

In addition to being exposed to the DARE program as a child, we also had health education classes that had sections about drugs that I had to attend from 7th grade through 10th grade as part of the standard public school cirriculum.

The health classes presented more information and again described significant differences between drugs.

The only things that got repeated are that each drug they mention is dangerous and illegal.

That's quite different than saying marijuana is the same as heroin.

They are equals.

This is what YOU interpreted the information as saying.

I certainly didn't. I can remember having conversations about drugs with my friends as a child and they certainly didn't. My parents didn't.

Infact polls suggest that the average American believes in the myth that there are hard drugs and soft drugs and distinguish drugs from one another.

And infact that the majority of Americans distinguish differences between drugs and believe that there is such a significant difference between soft drugs and hard drugs is a serious problem. In rehab these days, one of the first things you're taught is that the concept of hard drugs and soft drugs is a myth and that all drugs have the same potential for causing psychological addiction.

Even though the gateway theory is popular, most Americans believe marijuana is much less dangerous than other drugs.

A prohibtionist culture does not educate; it generalizes -- drugs are drugs, and drugs are bad.

Prohibitionist culture does generalize. It does not educate enough. That doesn't mean it doesn't educate.

People are not told that heroin is addictive and dangerous.

LOL

Don't flat out lie to support your opinions.

They are told that marijuana and heroin are addictive and dangerous.

What's your point?

Junior takes his first puff of herb and thinks, subconsiously, I have been conditioned to think of all drugs are equal, marijuana has made me feel calm and relaxed -- there is no danger, why, then, cannot I use heroin without the same consequences -- none.

I recognize that anti-drug programs exclude facts to make their case that drugs are bad.

And I've discussed this with lots of people.

I've never met ANYONE who didn't believe there were some major differences between using heroin and marijuana.

Although everyone I've talked to recognized they weren't told everything there was to know about drugs and rationalized that ALL drugs were LESS dangerous than they were told they were.

I also don't know anyone who's used heroin that didn't know they risked becoming addicted, even if they didn't think it would happen to them.

If you personally didn't think there was a difference between marijuana and heroin in terms of the dangers, maybe you're just not very smart or you just wanted to believe what you wanted to believe.

Otherwise don't exaggerate things to make your point.

Also, EVERYONE I know that has used drugs for at least 7 years has said that while they at one time or another believed drugs were far less dangerous than they were told, they now believe they're ALL dangerous because of the consequences that come along with the long term use of any drug.

And while I know a lot of people that never did any of their own research on the drugs they were using or wanted to use, I know a lot of people that did. Including myself. Everyone decided to go ahead and use those drugs they knew all the dangers of anyways. Young people rationalize bad things just won't happen to them. The same goes for drugs.

Even people on this board have overdosed and died. People that suppossedly knew everything there was to know.

The one thing that can't be taught is life experience. And until you can teach that, people are going to continue to suffer the consequences of drug use no matter what they're taught.

(see the National Education Association www.nea.org, DARE www.dare.org, etc., where drugs are declared as virtually one denomination.)

Oh, how hillarious.

If either of us needs to go to these sites and read the information, it's you.

The National Education Association is not even a drug education organization.

How ironic you have a problem with the way information about drugs is presented or not presented to prove the point that drugs are dangerous.

I rest my case.

I'm not going to continue to debate with someone that can only support their arguments with opinions, speculations, assumptions, misinformation and ignorance.

Last edited:
i couldn't agree more. searching kids' rooms might force them to use drugs less in the short term, but it's also going to foster resentment and distrust, which will actually INCREASE the chances of kids blowing off their parents' advice and doing tons of drugs as soon as they move out of the house and there isn't an authority figure spying on them to make sure they're doing what they're supposed to. if parents treat kids with respect and don't invade their privacy, though, the kids might actually listen to what the parents tell them about responsible drug use and incorporate it into their behavior on their own.

Again, I was not only educated about drugs, but my parents initially respected me and were extremely good parents.

None of that did anything to deter me from being curious and wanting to use drugs.

So again, I ask what should parents do if they have legitimate reason to suspect that their kids are using drugs and their kids really are using drugs? This is after the parents have already confronted the kids and the kids have obviously lied.

Like I said, I can speak from personal experience. I lied. It was obvious I was using drugs. So my parents occassionally searched my room and would check me out if I came home late or knew I had been to a party. And it was a GREAT deterance because I knew I couldn't get away with using all the time and definantly kept me from using as much as I would have liked.

And you know what else? When my parents stopped doing all that after I convinced them I was old enough to be responsible and that they didn't need to treat me with mistrust anymore? I started using drugs as much as I wanted. And you know what else? Eventually I got into serious trouble and caused myself serious problems and the consequences are still affecting me years and years later.

You know what else? I have more real life experience to compare and contrast to. All the people I knew (not just friends) who's parents never stepped in and let them do whatever they want are by and large still having problems compared to all the people I knew who's parents stepped in who by and large have their shit together.

I can also tell you I had a very different opinion a few years ago. And when I really think about it, my opinion was really based on the fact that I just thought I should have been allowed to do drugs and at the time I didn't really understand the consequences of not only just using drugs, but having parents that just let their kids do whatever they wanted and gave them responsibilities when they weren't really responsible.

And when I was younger I recognized that some people could use drugs and be okay and it was the minority that actually had serious problems. What I didn't see then was that minority was growing over the years. And that even with something as seemingly benign as marijuana there was a huge difference between smoking pot for 2-3 years and smoking it for 10 years as far as how it would affect someones life.

I understand that parents need to let their kids make their own choices and make mistakes so they can learn and grow up. At the same time, parents are supposed to guide their kids in the right direction and stop their kids from developing bad patterns that are going to be lifelong.

I'm not going to continue to debate with someone that can only support their arguments with opinions, speculations, assumptions, misinformation and ignorance.

One of the cardinal rules of debate:

3.) Don't resort to personal attacks
Lesson: If you are challenged by the opinion of someone else in a particular matter, go after the opinion and not the opponent. This is otherwise known as an Ad Hominem fallacy that poor debaters use because they cant mount proper response. We want to maintain respect for each other in this forum.

Before I recuse myself from this discussion I will point out the other main flaw in your arguments -- most of your evidence revolves around your personal experience. "I recall from my days," I suggest," "I've discussed this," and "I know." In research, using one example is known as a case study. Case studies are not usually recognized as evidence that indicates a trend or establishes a pattern. I am happy that your personal story, your case study, is a successful one. However, your experiences are hardly typical or indicative of the norm.

Infact polls suggest that the average American believes in the myth that there are hard drugs and soft drugs and distinguish drugs from one another.

And infact that the majority of Americans distinguish differences between drugs and believe that there is such a significant difference between soft drugs and hard drugs is a serious problem. In rehab these days, one of the first things you're taught is that the concept of hard drugs and soft drugs is a myth and that all drugs have the same potential for causing psychological addiction.

Even though the gateway theory is popular, most Americans believe marijuana is much less dangerous than other drugs.

Also, EVERYONE I know that has used drugs for at least 7 years has said that while they at one time or another believed drugs were far less dangerous than they were told, they now believe they're ALL dangerous because of the consequences that come along with the long term use of any drug.

To start with I would like some clarification. Are you saying there is no continuum between "hard" and "soft" drugs? So me smoking pot carries the same risks and consequences as huffing paint or smoking crack? That is ridiculous to say the least. How many people live on the street or prostitute themselves over a marijuana addiction? Opiates and stimulants? Well, that's a different story now... and God knows alcohol puts more people on the street per year than any other substance.

Nothing in life is perfectly safe. Driving a car is dangerous, so is crossing the street. Its definitely not possible to use any substance for a long term period without some form of effects, however for MOST people the effects are relatively minor compared to the benefits such as relaxation, etc. I'm sorry that your longterm drug using friends have had rough histories, but I know a lot of longterm drug users (both peers and adults) who are doing relatively fine and are not significantly troubled by their usage. Most tend to tone down the intensity and frequency of their use over the years, but that is a normal part of growing up, to tone down things you take to extremes as a young person.

As far as searching kids' rooms goes, this is a major breach of trust and should only be done when absolutely necessary. If your kid is missing all kinds of school, has trackmarks, looks sick all the time, etc. then it is your duty as a parent to do what you can for them... but to suggest that it is a good idea to make a practice of invading privacy is ludicrous.

One of the things I've noticed in the transition from high school to "real life" (college, work, etc.) is that many people whose parents had the iron hand over their life go completely nuts when they get a little freedom because they haven't learned how to moderate themselves, they've had parental authority figures moderating for them. If you have no willpower thats one thing, but for most people learning how to deal with things in the real world is a good lesson for high school, before consequences become severe in your adult life its good to get your fuck ups out of the way.

It's all pathetic. All of it. This world we live in.......it just seems so many people who are anti-drug. **SIGH**......nevermind.

It's just..........sad. Really.

so, i agree that some parental intervention is necessary at times, I'll give it that. that is definitly true.
However, I don't think that them advocating every parent to search their kids rooms and read their diaries is a fair thing at all. I really dont.

Having experienced those things, I can say that they have not helped me do less drugs, but they have made me mistrust, resent, and shut off my parents a lot more. I mean, they went through EVERYTHING that i own, reading everything they could get their hands on, and what was the result? I dont trust them at all, and I have nowhere to turn to now to get things out when i need, because I know that they still read it. that doesnt help me at all with my drug usage. that's my experience with it.

Its a really iffy thing, and it needs to be the parent who decides whether or not to cross that line.

Are you saying there is no continuum between "hard" and "soft" drugs?

What I'm saying is that there are no "hard" drugs and "soft" drugs.

The concept of those categories was not based on scientific facts. The concept was based on how society viewed drugs.

And what happens as a result is people who don't seek to educate themselves about drugs commonly think "soft" drugs aren't that dangerous and aren't going to cause them any serious harm. And the concept completely overlooks the problems any recreational drug can cause someone if they become psychologically addicted.

I'm NOT trying to say marijuana is more harmful than crack cocaine or anything like that.

Well, that's a different story now... and God knows alcohol puts more people on the street per year than any other substance.

Alcohol is considered to be a "soft" drug.

Which is part of my point about "hard" drugs and "soft" drugs.

Alcohol causes more problems than any "hard" drug or any illegal drug period.

I'm sorry that your longterm drug using friends have had rough histories, but I know a lot of longterm drug users (both peers and adults) who are doing relatively fine and are not significantly troubled by their usage.

Well I'm not trying to say all people who use drugs, even drugs like cocaine, methamphetamine or heroin, have significant problems in their lives.

That's why I used words like "most". It leaves room for exception.

Most tend to tone down the intensity and frequency of their use over the years, but that is a normal part of growing up, to tone down things you take to extremes as a young person.

I definantly agree.

I know very few people who still use drugs like they did a few years ago. And most people I know stopped using everything except for marijuana or alcohol, or if they use other drugs only on rare occassions.

On the otherhand, not using those other drugs anymore doesn't mean that some of them still aren't having problems from continuing to use just marijuana and alcohol.

As far as searching kids' rooms goes, this is a major breach of trust and should only be done when absolutely necessary. If your kid is missing all kinds of school, has trackmarks, looks sick all the time, etc. then it is your duty as a parent to do what you can for them... but to suggest that it is a good idea to make a practice of invading privacy is ludicrous.

I agree with you. That's what I was saying.

I only think it's something that should be done if the parents have a legitimate reason to suspect their kids are using drugs. And I don't think parents should search their kids rooms without talking to them first and trying to find out what's wrong and why they're acting differently or starting to have problems.

I don't think parents should just search their kids rooms whenever they feel like it.

And I think it's ridiculous if parents have a reason to believe that their kids are using drugs and it's obviously affecting them but don't search their kids room because they don't want to upset the kid or violate their trust if they've already talked to the kids and think they've been lied to. Worse yet, I think it's ridiculous if parents don't even talk to their kids at all. Which happens a lot.

I can give you a really great example of how NOT to deal with your kids, too.

When my ex-girlfriend was a teenager, her parents found out she was using drugs and did everything in their power to make sure she quit after getting arrested for possession of LSD at her high school when she was 15. They talked to her, they occassionally searched her room, they kept her away from her friends that had also got in trouble in the same incident where she got arrested until a lot of time had passed and they didn't have any reason to believe those friends were still using, etc.

Her younger sister was always looked at as "the good kid". When she started drinking and using drugs, it was pretty obvious. And her parents just put blind trust into her. She started staying out late all the time, her friends obviously used, she started doing poorly in school, she stopped being socialable with the family and helping out, she developed a really bad attitude, etc. etc. etc. Last summer her parents were looking for something else in her room and discovered a bunch of alcohol. She said a friend had left it there. And they just never did anything about it. They never talked to her. And they still don't. At this point it couldn't be any more obvious that she was using unless they actually caught her using drugs. And they've actually found more alcohol in her room since, too. But they still never talk to her, never go through her room, don't punish her when she stays out too late, don't ever check up on her when she goes out, etc. etc.

All because they want to believe she's a good kid and are afraid to alienate her anymore than she already is. They just let her do as she pleases. They don't even ever ask her what's wrong.

And that's totally the WRONG way to deal with a situation like that.

At this point I almost want to tell her parents "hey, your 17 year old daughter is out drinking, smoking pot, eating mushrooms and having sex when she stays out late going to parties or just spending the entire night out" because it's really obvious that it's only a matter of time before she gets herself into serious trouble. She's already gone from being a straight A student to just barely passing her classes.

One of the things I've noticed in the transition from high school to "real life" (college, work, etc.) is that many people whose parents had the iron hand over their life go completely nuts when they get a little freedom because they haven't learned how to moderate themselves, they've had parental authority figures moderating for them. If you have no willpower thats one thing, but for most people learning how to deal with things in the real world is a good lesson for high school, before consequences become severe in your adult life its good to get your fuck ups out of the way.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean and I agree with you to an extent.

But when you have a situation like the one I gave above, that's where the parents really have to step. At this point if she doesn't straighten up her life and keeps going the way she is and doesn't at least improve her grades, she won't be going to a real college. And I'm seriously starting to doubt she'll even want to go to community college right after high school the way she's going.

She's a wonderful artist and she wants to pursue a career in art. But she doesn't understand that in order to do so that she needs to get into a good college and work for it.

And on top of her parents not trying to help her straighten up, they continue to spoil her. When she turned 16, they bought her a car which she didn't need and certainly didn't deserve. She trashed it and wrecked it. They paid for it to get fixed. Then it died. So they bought her another one even though she had gotten a part time job last summer and didn't make her pay for it. Infact, they don't make her pay for anything and all she does is spend all of her money on drugs, alcohol and cigarettes (which they somehow still haven't figured out she smokes - she lies and says she smells like smoke from being around her friends that do).

Having experienced those things, I can say that they have not helped me do less drugs, but they have made me mistrust, resent, and shut off my parents a lot more. I mean, they went through EVERYTHING that i own, reading everything they could get their hands on, and what was the result? I dont trust them at all, and I have nowhere to turn to now to get things out when i need, because I know that they still read it. that doesnt help me at all with my drug usage. that's my experience with it.

I totally agree with you.

It's one thing to search your kids room. But going through their private writings and stuff is completely going over the line.

If you have good reason to believe your kid is into some really serious criminal activity or something, that's one thing. Otherwise I don't see any reason to read through their diaries, notes and things of that nature.

And I totally understand why you don't trust your parents anymore. They crossed the line from being concerned and looking out for you to completely disrespecting your privacy. Reading a diary is obviously not going to help them find drugs or anything. And if a parent has already figured out their kid is on drugs, they don't need to try to read through your stuff to find out the specifics. There are other ways to deal with it.

The other thing the article didn't suggest to parents was searching the computer for saved emails and such. Which I would equate to going through a diary.