Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Nitrox

shoe

Bluelighter
This question concerns Nitrox.
Nitrox is a gas divers use. I really don't know anything about it. A friend of mine has suggested that it is possible to get high off this, like nangs. I am sceptical, though, as it doesn't make much sense that divers would use anaesthetics while swimming.. so I thought I would turn to Bluelight :D

Is this possible?

doubt it... just thought it was the equivelant of manufactured air for pilots, etc to use.

must... resist... yelling... at... fools.....

Nitrox is Oxygen and Nitrogen mixed together, commonly known as AIR, as in the stuff that surrounds you every minute of your life.

There's a whole FAQ here on it. Fourth result on a Google search of "Nitrox".

What is it with people that makes them go "Wow, it has a name that kinda sounds like something that can fuck me up, maybe I should huff it?" Whoops. I was trying so hard to be nice. I'll stop now.

True, but most people refer to nitrox as enriched air nitrox, or enriched nitrox.

So the norm is, when you are talking about nitrox, you are talking about air which has much more oxygen in it than normal. So it's not just any plain ordinary air...

Try going to an oxygen bar, it's a lot cheaper than getting a nitrox setup.!!

Divers don't do nangs!!!!

Enriched Air Nitrox is commonly used by recreational and professional divers alike, to assist them in going on deeper and longer dives.
Basically, there is more oxygen in it than nitrogen, meaning less nitrogen bubbles absorb into your bloodstream than with just a normal dive tank. which means there is less chance of getting decsompression sickness/the bends after a long and deep dive, because there is less nitrogen in your system than normal.

you also need an Enriched Air Nitrox specialty certification card before you can even think about asking a dive shop to fill a tank with nitrox.

also, you could suck a nitrox tank clean and the only thing you would feel would be that you are an idiot for wasting it(it's expensive shit!).

hope that clears things up!

although, there is something that i find very interesting about nitrogen and diving.
it is a condition called Nitrogen Narcosis, and scientists are yet to discover exactly why it happens.
the symptoms usually start to kick in at about 30m and get worse as you go deeper. it makes you feel very intoxicated(like being drunk underwater) and makes you feel invinsible.
i have actually seen someone take their regulator(the thing you breath through) out of their mouth and try to give it to a fish he thought needed air!
scientists thnink it might have something to do with nitrogen bubbles blocking off nerve endings, making you feel dizzy and drunk. the symptoms dissapear as you ascend to the surface.

it's quite fun, if you know how to handle yourself at 30m+!!!

Im pretty sure that the gas wont get you high, but the album sure keeps you charging all night...!!
(sorry, i just HAD to do it!! *smacks herself for not having any willpower*)

Andromeda:)

i know a diver friend who goes out on his boat, smokes some weed, and then goes down to the bottom of the sea to get narced. when i was first narced soposably i was kicking and kicking and not going anywhere, coz of no air in BC. it was pretty fun. but dangerous when you think about it. if you want to get narced just go into a pressure chanber turn up the pressure and enjoy. but thats another cost.

Nitrogen narcosis occurs because your body is immersed in water, and subject to a high pressure... Dalton's Law of partial pressures states that the total pressure of a gas mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of gases in the mixture. The higher pressure of the total gas mixture causes the partial pressure of each component to increase, and thus more nitrogen is absorbed per unit volume into your blood from the air (approx. 78% N2, 21%O2 and other traces) or enriched air nitrox (EANx-32 = 32% O2, 68%N2... or EANx-36 = 36%O2, 64%N2) in your lungs. Nitrogen in your blood makes you trip a bit, like doing nitrous oxide...

The symptoms of nitrogen narcosis disappear upon returning to atmospheric pressure. However, the other danger of increased blood partial pressures is the formation of bubbles in vivo upon rapid decompression.

No mystery AFAIK. Diving on drugs is a very high risk activity.

BigTrancer :)

^^ Nice work BT.

Funny the way good discussion comes from such a simple question.

:)