Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Police seize '$37m worth' of ecstasy -smh - 10/4/03

XSI11V

Bluelighter
all i can say is ouch :\

source:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/10/1049567788990.html

Police were today celebrating Australia's second-largest ecstasy haul after seizing tablets with an estimated street value of $37 million from crates imported from Germany.

Australian Federal Police said they had severely dented an international drug trafficking syndicate with the seizure of the drugs, which arrived in Sydney by air freight in early February.

Agents arrested two men and seized about 532,000 tablets during yesterday's bust in Sydney's south.

A 28-year-old Australian man from Bondi and a 29-year-old Greek national from Bass Hill were both charged with attempting to possess a prohibited import.

Well done boys. Good to see that your keeping the streets free of dangerous drugs.

Lets keep the dangerous drugs with the multinational phamaceutical cartels and hand them out through their licensed dealers.....the doctors.

It's just betta that way:p

gota be spewing about that eh! what a bummer

Oh well, I'm over it ;)

Maybe this is how they do the maths: Chemist to Bulk Distributor - $5 a pill. Bulk Distributor to Local Bigwig - $10 a pill. Local Bigwig to Young Entrepreneur - $20 a pill. Young Entrepreneur to Kandy Raver - $35 a pill.

$5 + $10 + $20 + $35 = $70

Even though the money is just changing hands, and ultimately the pill is worth no more than the final amount it earns, doing it this way helps the cops sound like they're busting a significant amount more than they really are. Dunno, just a theory! :)

Disclaimer: Prices are just guesses - I have no idea how much this shit wholesales for, and if anyone does then keep it to yourself. No sense announcing that fact in public.

the maggots then drove away in they're commodore valued at three quarters of a million dollars.....8)

seriously though, is it the maggots or the media that embelish the value so much?

Or do you reckon that they work out the value thinking that someone cruches them all up throws in some more chalk and restamps them in new weaker pills? Or is that just silly?

a bit on the silly side yeah 8)

at the end of the day it's a big bust mmmkay :\

Pleo: I know a lawyer type person who works with the police who told me that is, more or less, how they work out the street value.

All the police are corrupt in my opinion...

530,000 found... 100,000 kept to put back on the streets to make their money
=D

like they're not making enough from jacking up speeding fines as of next week
:\

^^^ why bother with a reply like that? i mean really? what does it achieve?

^^^ It achieves about as much as your post JB. Ease up, who gives a shit really....it's a comment, that's it. Don't be so harsh.

I wasn't being harsh, C'mon, it's not hard to tell when I am actually being harsh is it? :)

It's a serious question: what gets achieved by the reflexive "all cops are crooked" comments. It's all just a bit "Me Too!" I'd just rather people actually added things to a thread rather than did that. But if they are going to do it I am just genuinely curious as to their reasons for it.

Escaped Lunatic said:
like they're not making enough from jacking up speeding fines as of next week
:\
Umm...don't speed? Just a suggestion...

Is a big seizure like this proof that the war on drugs is working? Even the AFP aren't saying that:
Australian Federal Police said they had severely dented an international drug trafficking syndicate
All they have dented is one syndicate...it doesn't look like they believe it will have too much effect at the consumer level either.

Ecstasy is a dangerous drug, BongoBongo, and it does need to be treated with respect. However, attempting to prevent access to it won't solve anything.

What were they ?

For the people who saw the news story, did anyone see what pills they were, they were obviously white with a score down the back, but I didn't get a good look at the logo.

Oh and by the way, did you get a load of one officer saying that this bust would make a significant impact on the market ? LOL :)

All they have dented is one syndicate...it doesn't look like they believe it will have too much effect at the consumer level either.

Exactly. Just that one words speaks volumes. The rhetoric used to be "we smashed a syndicate", now they are just denting them, implying that it is a temporary setback, and the syndicate will spring back into shape with just a little panel beating.

See, now isn't this a bit more interesting than tired old cliches being bandied about again? ;)