• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - Heroin makes terrifying comeback, could take over ice as biggest drug problem

poledriver

Bluelighter
Aus - Heroin makes terrifying comeback, could take over ice as biggest drug problem

WHEN Michael was 19 and struggling to cope with the sudden death of his sister, he tried everything.
His life had unravelled and he couldn’t cop the pain and guilt, so he turned to drugs to help sedate him. Alcohol, cannabis, speed, even ice, but nothing was strong enough. It wasn’t until he took the leap to ingest what was, as it is for so many, the last drug he would try — heroin.

“The power it had over me was incredible,” the 37-year-old tells news.com.au. “The internal dialogue I had running, the anxiety and the pain, it stopped and I felt a sense of peace and freedom and calm, at least that’s what it was like in the early days. I was very comfortable in my own skin. That changed.”

It took only a week for Michael to develop a full-blown addiction to the drug and he was willing to do whatever was necessary to get his hands on more of it so that he could get back that feeling of the first hit.
Within months Michael had turned to crime eventually leading to two stints in prison. His support networks fell apart as he sacrificed relationships for heroin, and he became a shell of the man he once was.
“Heroin left me emotionally bankrupt. I was in very, very poor health but I didn’t have the power to give it up because I kept chasing the feeling. It’s like a mountain with no top. You’re constantly climbing but you never get there,” he says.
Michael says he’s one of the lucky ones. With the help of an intensive rehabilitation program, he is no longer a slave to his addiction, but the drug still worries him.

One of NSW’s biggest rehabilitation services, odyssey House, has seen a staggering increase in admissions of heroin addicts in the past year.
In the 2014-15 financial year, the number of heroin addicts to be admitted to the Sydney clinic went up by 165 per cent to account for 29 per cent, almost a third, of residential patients.
Meanwhile, methamphetamine or ice users still account for the highest proportion of patients admitted to the clinic (32 per cent), and the drug’s prevalence has been recognised as a national crisis.

But the disaster drug the Howard Government took credit for cracking down on with its “tough on drugs” campaign is making a quiet and concerning comeback that could force authorities to reconsider their priorities in fighting drugs.
Australia saw heroin do its worst in the late 1990s. Discarded needles were a common sight on city streets and horror stories of crime and violence perpetrated by desperate users were news bulletin staples. Blood borne diseases were spreading with injections and along with overdoses, were claiming users’ lives.

Australian Drug Foundation policy director Geoff Munro says the explosion in odyssey House’s admissions of heroin addicts is indicative of a wider trend, and in the next few years Australia could take a backwards step to those terrifying times.
“This is in line from what all agencies are telling us. It’s been reported there’s an increase in heroin arriving in Australia in the last couple of years and it’s predicted that’s going to rise,” he tells news.com.au.
“There was a huge problem in the late 1990s and after heroin peaked in about 1998-99 there was a huge reduction in the supply of heroin, the so-called heroin drought, so people who were using it to cope with their problems switched to other drugs.”
He said rehab admissions were a good indicator of overall drug use, because they “flag the drugs that people are using who are getting into trouble with drugs”.

Mr Munro says the rise of ice was partially borne out of heroin’s diminished supply, and fickle drug users would just as soon switch back.

“The present cycle of crystal meth will fade away in the future but something else will replace it among people who, for whatever reason, want to use very powerful substances,” he said.
“It’s a marketable commodity like any other, it’s largely based on supply and when there’s another product on offer it may well take over.”
The influx of opioids and its take-up in Australia can be traced back to the Middle East.

The World Drug Report, published annual by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, warns that opium cultivation is reaching historic levels in Myanmar and particularly Afghanistan. The latter country accounts for 85 per cent of global production and opium poppy eradication efforts have reduced significantly.

While public focus has been on treating ice, he says the evidence around an increase in heroin use is a reminder there’s more than one drug problem.
“What the public needs to understand is that drug markets are like any other markets. When you have a product that you can promote that’s cheaper, that’s pure, that’s better quality, then whatever the predominant drug may be, you will probably get people to switch over,” he said.

“I think the message is that we have to always be conscious and, white methamphetamine is certainly the predominant drug that is the issue at the present time, it’s not necessarily going to stay that way.”
While its return is shocking and of grave concern to those working in rehabilitation and other drug services fields, heroin’s resurgence could have a surprising upside.
Rehabilitation clinics have struggled to treat ice users with few known methods to wean patients off the incredibly addictive drug. In handling the ice crisis, the government has even borrowed lines and strategies from the late-90s drug crackdown.
But when it comes to treating heroin, the research is miles ahead and treatments have been tried and tested.

Treatments like methadone and naltrexone — which has since been used with some success to treat ice addicts — are ready tools for the well-practised addiction services community.
While there’s no easy fix to any drug addiction, heroin is at least a little easier to manage.

Having come out the other end of his 18-year battle with drug addiction and having heroin “destroy his life”, Michael takes some comfort in the fact that there are more counselling and treatment services available to drug addicts now.
“My experience with heroin was that I got to a point where I couldn’t help myself. I really needed help and it was so, so, hard to reach out, but for any people in addiction who are listening, I understand how hard it can be but there are people who are willing to help and who can. It’s just something that you have to stick with,” he says.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re.../news-story/06c981eedcfdba537c6fbdb638a33b5c?

Not surprising, the meth market has been saturated for a while now so they're probably bringing H in to shore up their profits. And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people using H are ex-meth users who burned out on the tweaker lifestyle but didn't want to sober up. Throw in those who got a taste for opiates through oxy and morphine and you've got the makings of a decent H resurgence (which they've been predicting for a while).

The darknet has also made it a lot easier for people to access heroin. When I started getting high it was almost impossible to get heroin outside of Sydney and Melbourne (although I hear it's around Perth a bit, but never been there), and even there you'd have to be willing to deal with a really dodgy crowd. Now anyone at all can jump online and have a gram of high quality harry in their mailbox the next day.

Experts say overprescription of painkillers behind heroin resurgence in Australia

0a5c0d53efc869b44d7cd91a1e93e4c1

ONE of the most dangerous illicit drugs to hit our streets is making a quiet and deadly comeback — and experts say legal prescriptions may be to blame.
The Australian Drug Foundation says more Australians were becoming addicted to painkillers, with addicted “users” switching to cheap and accessible street drugs, such as heroin, when “doctor shopping” for prescription drugs failed.

Heroin, the deadly opioid that had Australia in the grip of a drug crisis in the late 1990s, is making a terrifying comeback, with rehabilitation services recording a surge in admissions of heroin addicts. An annual report from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre also indicated the frequency of heroin use was increasing nationally.

d51db29d164d579ad32128b4b7ffb6c3

The trend follows what’s being seen in the USA. More people died of drug overdoses last year in the United States than ever before, largely due to disturbing increases in prescription painkillers and heroin use, health authorities said Friday.

Australian health authorities, like the AMA, have previously acknowledged Australians are becoming hooked on prescription painkillers, dubbing overprescription of drugs like oxycodone a “national emergency”.
Now concerned health groups say the issue is likely linked to an even more disturbing drug development — heroin’s resurgence.

“We know that when people are dependent upon the prescription of opioid they can develop an addiction that goes beyond the pain management those drugs may have been originally prescribed for,” Australian Drug Foundation policy manager Geoff Munro told news.com.au.
“It is a trend we’re really concerned about because the overprescription of opioid leads to doctor shopping, people trying to get more drugs, and when that doesn’t work, then they turn to the streets and try and get another form of those drugs.”
Mr Munro said he believed a 13-fold increase in the prescription of oxycodone in the 1999-2008, as one example, was linked to an increased uptake in heroin use in the past 12 months.
“These drugs are prescribed for pain relief, but the problem is we’re not teaching people to manage pain without really powerful analgesics,” he said.

e17961479c249d4f47c22395d616592f

A report released this week by the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention also linked overprescription of prescription painkillers and heroin use, noting a 15-year rise in prescription killer deaths and a more recent surge in heroin use in overdose deaths were “two distinct but interrelated trends”.

Both drugs work in similar ways, and when addicts are unable to get prescription medications to feed their habit, many turn to heroin, which is often cheap and accessible, the report said.

Drugs like oxycodone and hydrocodone are the most commonly prescribed opioid pain relievers, and “continue to be involved in more overdose deaths than any other opioid type”, said the report, noting deaths from these types of drugs increased by nine per cent in one year, with 813 more deaths in 2014 than in 2013.

The overdose of two NRL players on oxycodone, a synthetic analgesic drug prescribed by doctors to manage acute, chronic and cancer-related pain, brought the prescription drugs crisis to public attention earlier this year.

According to a UNSW study on illicit drug trends between 2001 and 2013, more Australians are taking prescription drugs in non medical ways such as smoking or injecting them.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...a/news-story/8017ab844df868fe6b33c7382c537ddc

I know...I think I would be set for life with just two or three of those bags......but alas I am sober now....that first picture of the 80's would last me maybe a few days to a week.

So, how is the title of "biggest drug problem" awarded? Whatever gets the most moral-panic articles on News.com.au? ;)

^ i think it is "whatever they happen to be reporting on at the time" on news dot com dot au.
Embarrassingly trashy tabloid crap.

But a nice style tip for the kiddies, and free advertising for the H industry.

What's hot: SMACK!
What's not: "ICE" (this week)