• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Wrong number calls to Mountie’s cellphone lead to drug bust

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
‘Bad luck on their part’: Wrong number calls to Mountie’s cellphone lead to drug bust
Tristin Hopper
National Post
December 7th, 2015

An alleged Alberta drug trafficker who shared a nearly identical phone number with a Mountie was busted after would-be clients kept repeatedly phoning in orders to police.

“They’re very similar numbers, so I think really anyone would make a similar mistake; just kind of bad luck on their part,” said Cpl. John Spaans with the RCMP detachment in Boyle, Alta., a village of 900 between Edmonton and Fort McMurray.

Since getting the number in mid-2014, Spaans had been receiving mysterious calls.

Dozens of them were made from numbers in Alberta’s Athabasca region, many in the wee hours of the morning.

“It was more wrong number phone calls than I’d be used to,” said the officer.

Read the full story here.

How convenient! The guy was already under investigation, but there wasn't enough evidence for a search warrant. Then, out of the blue, some miraculous phone calls to seal the deal.

How many times have we seen this story? Does anyone buy it any more?

I know, this excuse is getting old. Wrong number my asshole's birthmark. But hey, if it can work for cops in Americah, it must be good enough for our northernly neighbors.

Seriously this again..

An im sure it has nothing to do with every single piece of information collected on there phone ending up accessible to police hand.

This is an invasion of privacy and against the law.

When will Americans care about their personal security?

its why I put a condom on my phone before I call anyone.....can never be too careful.

Another text asked for some “boy.”

The word was initially unfamiliar to the detachment, but a check on UrbanDictionary.com confirmed it as a “slang term for heroin.”

“Thank you, Urban Dictionary,” said Spaans.
-------

I live in Alberta and that sounds like bullshit

How the damn 5-0 is listening to us

Say you are in a high drug traffic area, or they suspect someone to be dealing...they just set this baby up in active mode, and boom they have all your correspondences, photos, and they can listen to your conversations.

This is actually behind the times a little, I am sure the military has even better longer range "stingrays"

not so my friend. The information collected from it, will actually give just cause to secure a warrant in the united states, or reasonable suspicion that a car should be pulled over.

We live in exciting, and equally horrible times my friend.

There may be stingrays operating in Canada but the police up here won't even reveal whether or not they have the tech, let alone if they're using it. I don't remember if it's because it's still a legally grey area and the courts haven't ruled on it, or the police just have jurisdiction. Either way I find the practice highly disturbing and when I first found out about it I considered ditching my cell phone and getting a land line.

I never carry anymore but still I get the occasional dumb friend texting me to ask if I have a certain substance on hand. *face palm* People are so oblivious.

I use whatsapp for all my dealings as I thought it wasn't traceable...