• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

just switched to Dilaudid... help?

ehmkayy

Greenlighter
Okay, I'm brand new here and have not figured out how to use this site at all. lol. So, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place and please feel free to move if needed :)
I have had degenerative disk disease for 6 years. I've been on many many pain meds through the years. Recently I had a pain Dr give me steroid injections that actually took my pain from random and somewhat controllable to absolutely
out of hand. Since my pain is different my old med's.. well, it was like eating skittles. Didn't do anything. Ever. Such a waste.
So my new Dr has prescribed me Dilaudid. I have only had it one other time, from an old neighbor who had the exact same thing goin on except in her neck and mine's lower back.
Anyway, they still can't find the location of a lot of my issues and there's no telling when I may be getting better, but my tolerance keeps building on all these norco's I've been taking for years.
I don't know what mg my neighbor had, but she made it VERY clear that "These are insanely strong. Like 30x stronger than morphine. Be EXTRA careful." So I was.
I took half of HER dilaudid and it knocked me out.
Well.. my most recent script was for a 15 mg oxycodone every 2 to 4 hours as needed. I took one every two. So thats... 90mg and I'm not gonna lie.. usually more.
My Dr prescribed me ONE 4mg Dilaudid every 4 hours as needed, so... 16 mg a day. That's a HUGE difference.
I talked to my neighbor briefly about the chance and all I got was "Mine are much stronger than that.." before we got interrupted and she had to go.
At first I was REALLY worried about taking too much (and still am.. a little), but now I'm (even MORE) worried that these just aren't gonna cut it.....
I don't want to waste em cause they're all I got.. so does anyone have experience with this? Are they strong, are they not, should I go back to my old ones, are they stronger crushed, snorted etc...???
PLEASE help! Thanks... (P.S. Sorry if this was way too long.. I don't really know.. I'm still figuring it all out..)

if iv ain't your thing (its not mine either) 4mgs or in your case one pill up the nose will increase the BA. since your not looking for a high im guessing by the content of your post ask your doctor. or start by sniffin one pill then titrate up from there.

If you can handle not dosing so frequently throughout the day like I'm used to now (also a Chronic pain unfortunate) then split your daily doses up for morning and evening only - this way I can at least get good relief twice per day rather than mild to no relief four times per day.

Please be sure to take care when doing this because you could be taking a dose all at once that you are not nearly tolerant too, it also means the level of pain meds in your blood will spike twice per day rather than having a consistent release of the drug throughout the day, if I want relief with respect to my tolerance this is what I have to do. Take care, hope your pain isn't the worst today.

The bioavailability is a slight bit higher nasally. It is a very short acting med though... Is the oxycodone an IR or ER formulation. I assume IR due to the dose and highly recommend asking your doctor to change you to the 30 mg ER formulation (equivalent to 15 mg IR, but lasts 14-16 hours with one dose at the right ammount instead of 4-6 no matter the dose for ir) leaving the ER for matinance making it easier to manage without the rollercoaster ride of excessive effect to near none while the dilaudid is used sparringly for pain that breakthrough the oxycodone.

I also suggest opana (oxymorphone) instead of dilaudid as it has a 7-8 hour half life vs 2-3 creating much longer lasting pain releaf. Both are better nasally and unbeatable IV, but both methods easily get out of hand leading to you losing your medication access. Dilaudid injected is really bad as it leads to dosing every half hour to an hour and is the most appealing dragon to inject for that quick rush IMO, but still I prefere opana that has barely any rush, but extremely strong long lasting pain relief easily developing into nods vs. oxycodone that seems to fight nods making it the choice for 24/7 pain maintainance while opana is used as needed sparringly so unwanted nodding does not occur at least not for 12 hours like an ER formulation would do.

Hi. So my Oxycodone IS short acting (I think that's what your asking by IR or ER?) I also have 10mg Oxycontin which is supposed to be a 12 hour release? I take 2 of em in the morning and at night but the truth is I feel absolutely NO effect/improvement from em. But my Dr is veryy adamant that no keep taking em. I also have 25mg Amitriptyline which he says is the same thing but again I feel nothing from it. Now the weird thing is that my "Dilaudid" prescription (which is what my Dr told me he was prescribing me) is labeled Hydromorphone... Does that mean I didn't get Dilaudid?? I have tried them now though. When I swallow em, there's almostt NO effect. But I did find with chewing em up before swalliny it almost equals my Oxycodone... Is that the same BA as snorting? Or wouldd snorting make them stronger still?? Thanks..

Hi. So my Oxycodone IS short acting (I think that's what your asking by IR or ER?) I also have 10mg Oxycontin which is supposed to be a 12 hour release? I take 2 of em in the morning and at night but the truth is I feel absolutely NO effect/improvement from em. But my Dr is veryy adamant that no keep taking em. I also have 25mg Amitriptyline which he says is the same thing but again I feel nothing from it. Now the weird thing is that my "Dilaudid" prescription (which is what my Dr told me he was prescribing me) is labeled Hydromorphone... Does that mean I didn't get Dilaudid?? I have tried them now though. When I swallow em, there's almostt NO effect. But I did find with chewing em up before swalliny it almost equals my Oxycodone... Is that the same BA as snorting? Or wouldd snorting make them stronger still?? Thanks..

dilaudid is brand-name hydromorphone snorting increases the BA. im sorry but what did the doc say about the Amitriptyline, that it is the same effectiveness as the pain meds. well if thats the case he is a liar.

Snorting them is stronger than eating them. Dilaudid... Well pillman said it all, he is correct on all counts. Amitrypline is an antidepressant I think, not a pain med. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure. Just google it...

Ahhh okay. Well then, next step will be snorting. And he said the Amitriptyline is basically the same as my oxycontin?

I usually take 5/325 perks and my dosage is two three times a day (yes, I do take more than recommend). I ran out of it and don't get my refill until next week so a friend gave me some 1 mg dilaudid and I took a few orally which did nothing so then I tried snorting three of them and again nothing. I NEED the pain relief but I do enjoy the high that goes with it. Does anyone know how many MG's and which way to take them to get the best effect?

I usually take 5/325 perks and my dosage is two three times a day (yes, I do take more than recommend). I ran out of it and don't get my refill until next week so a friend gave me some 1 mg dilaudid and I took a few orally which did nothing so then I tried snorting three of them and again nothing. I NEED the pain relief but I do enjoy the high that goes with it. Does anyone know how many MG's and which way to take them to get the best effect?
4mg snorted should have ya feelin nice. if you dont feel it take more.

Ahhh okay. Well then, next step will be snorting. And he said the Amitriptyline is basically the same as my oxycontin?
your amitriptyline is a tricyclic anti-d Oxycontin is an opioid they are not the same again your doctor is retarted. if he wasn't scripting you oxy I'd say drop em

Yeah amitriptyline is as mentioned, its a tricyclic antidepressant but it's an "old world" antidepressant but Dr's do not prescribe it for depression anymore (not in Australia anyway) but it's prescribed for nerve pain like Pregabalin (Lyrica), I was on 100mgs, made me drowsy but like Lyrica it did nothing for my pain so did a quick taper and got off it. Lol it's nothing like oxy as stated by others, Dr's say the dumbest things sometimes and often have poor knowledge on the action of drugs and their effectiveness.

Dilaudid help

Hi. I'm new to the site so I may be in wrong thread so if someone could suggest to me the right one. I'm prescribed 8mg Dilaudid every 4 hrs day and night. Well, my extended release drug isn't working great and I wanted to get the most out of my hydro so I've tried snorting it, nothing and I've taken 16mg, nothing. I tried to iv one yesterday and must have did it wrong cause nothing. I'm looking for both more pain relief and some euphoria. I've even tried Tagamet and grapefruit juice and nothing. I fear my opiod tolerant self is just stuck. Thought about iv more mg's but I'm inexperienced and don't wanna hurt myself or waste pills. I think I used too much water cause my whole 100 syringe was full. Idk and I apologize if I'm in the wrong thread. I'll take anyone's advice at this point. My extended release are Opana ER 20mg 3x day and I got the reformulated crap so it sucks but it's better than the MS Contins they had my on. Plus, I have no colon. They took it out in June so I haven't tried plugging. Could that be an option? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Next opana script get global pharmaceutical or activa generics as they are the old formula.

You must have IV wrong as four mg should give you a damn good rush with eight being amazing let alone 16. How was it prepped? Did you register a vein pulling back to draw blood before shooting unless it is only an air bubble?

Next time crush 4 mg worth between two spoons and then empty the crushed result into a cooker or mix on spoon as long as presteralized, drop in a presoaked cotton to pull the solution through, and that should give you a good solution of hydro to inject after you make sure to register in the vein before pushing. Missing sucks not only as it hurts and stays swollen, but no rush even if the shot is felt. Honestly I think you should give the IV another go, but only if this is not the begining of an IV habit you have never had before, which if it is the casevI would highly recommend not messing with all these ROA and risk losing your meds forcing you on methadone or suboxone if you are lucky enough to manage pain with it.

I wish you the best of luck as you need it

Edit: I think trading dilly for IR OC or percs for breakthrough would manage your pain much better or else oxycotin ER for maintenance and opana IR for breakthrough pain, which was the only opiate regiment to manage my pain.

Last edited:
Hey taco dude. I prepared it in spoon but didn't have markers on water thingies so I filled the spoon up and put pre soaked cotton in and it filled up my whole 100 syringe up so maybe too much water. I had to do it in my hand cause the vein in my arm is deep and I couldn't hit it. I tried once and missed and second time I could tell I hit it and didn't pull back on syringe cause my hands were full but blood came into the syringe so I pushed it and nothing. When I took syringe out blood came shooting out which isn't weird cause I'm on blood thinners. I think I either put too much water or missed vein cause my hand did hurt and swoll up a bit. Quite frankly I'm kinda scared to try again. I might. So you say Opana ir? I'm scared to get off these dillies cause they do work on pain but just for an hr or so then back in pain. My insurance doesn't cover oxy I don't think. I loved Oxycodone but scared cause hydro is stronger. My pain dr and I have made a lot of changes lately and I'm not sure she will change much more. All I can hope is I get old formulation of Opana ER and I can crush um and rail um. Heard that's good stuff and keep the hydro and try again to iv. Thanks for the tips and anymore iv tips would be great. Thanks!!

I'm back. Was gonna give iv hydro another try but my water plungers have no markings on them. I've learned to add 30-40 units of water to an 8mg pill but I don't know how much water I'm using. Last time I just eyeballed it and pretty much filled up big spoon 2/3. All I know is when I drew back the solution it filled my 100 rig. Another question, I have very small veins so I went for my hand and I know I missed cause got nothing from it but my hand is still a little swollen and my arm hinges are out so is there a good place for me to go at. I understand this is far from harm reduction but it kinda is cause I'm gonna do it anyway I'm just making sure I do it safe. What I don't understand is I didn't draw back but saw some blood come into rig and after I pushed I took out and blood came rushing out so I'm very confused. Obviously I missed so those are my questions, water and good site to find. Thanks

Success!!! Took me awhile. Added just enough water to cover pill dust. Filtered twice and finding a vein was toughest. My inner wrist is too small so went back to hand but those veins move but did different hand and finally heard pop and pain and drew back blood so pushed and wow!! I know I didn't get whole 8mg but dam! There was residue left on spoon but hell with it. It was just like iv Dilaudid in ER. I've been there many times over the years. Sadly it's just like ER it kicks ass for 10-15 min then it's gone. Now I got marks on my hands. I know I seem quite obsessive about this but I don't think it's something I'd do again. I just don't have veins for it. My best bet is to get the old opanas and rail them. I asked the pharmacy today and they looked at me like a junkie. I just had my fun but I go see my dr Tuesday and we'll talk about this Opana. I'm really not getting much more relief than MS Contin which sucked. Maybe we can talk about another ir med cause Dilaudid wears off so quick. I do want euphoria but ultimately I need pain relief mostly. Just wish I could have both like it used to be but my tolerance is so high. I'll get those old opanas and maybe try Opana ir if insurance covers it. Do you think Dilaudid 8mg or Oxycodone 15mg would last longer? Hopefully I'll get some stuff straight Tuesday. If not I'll stay on what I'm on and ride it out. That was a great 10 min but ultimately not worth it to me.

Without reading, I advise you to take them orally as prescribed! !!!! BUT !!! Put them under your tongue and let them dissolve. The longer they stay there, the better. You are already absorbing them, then finally, chase them down. <3

Success!!! Took me awhile. Added just enough water to cover pill dust. Filtered twice and finding a vein was toughest. My inner wrist is too small so went back to hand but those veins move but did different hand and finally heard pop and pain and drew back blood so pushed and wow!! I know I didn't get whole 8mg but dam! There was residue left on spoon but hell with it. It was just like iv Dilaudid in ER. I've been there many times over the years. Sadly it's just like ER it kicks ass for 10-15 min then it's gone. Now I got marks on my hands. I know I seem quite obsessive about this but I don't think it's something I'd do again. I just don't have veins for it. My best bet is to get the old opanas and rail them. I asked the pharmacy today and they looked at me like a junkie. I just had my fun but I go see my dr Tuesday and we'll talk about this Opana. I'm really not getting much more relief than MS Contin which sucked. Maybe we can talk about another ir med cause Dilaudid wears off so quick. I do want euphoria but ultimately I need pain relief mostly. Just wish I could have both like it used to be but my tolerance is so high. I'll get those old opanas and maybe try Opana ir if insurance covers it. Do you think Dilaudid 8mg or Oxycodone 15mg would last longer? Hopefully I'll get some stuff straight Tuesday. If not I'll stay on what I'm on and ride it out. That was a great 10 min but ultimately not worth it to me.
The only reason oxymorphone is better than dilaudid for long term management is the 7-9 hour half life giving a ver long lasting sense of pain relief even IV. Hydromorphone has a 1-2 hour half life about oxy 2-3 so I guess with that info you understand. Oxycotin ER oxycodone for active functional daytime pain maintenance and opana IR oxymorphone for resting nightime breakthrough pain maintenance. Nothings worked as well without tolerance developing fast or extreme used correctly with all day n night relief and no opiate dependancy roller coaster ride of high, pain relief, undermedicated, and withdrawal.