• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe being on subs and traveling

mrsnowygrainius

Bluelighter
So Im going on a surf trip soon either to el salvador, costa rica or nicaragua and I am on 8mgs of suboxone a day. How do I travel with my medication? Can I travel with it? I will obviously keep the subs in the perscption bottle they come in, that bottle has my name on it, doctors name, etc. so I don't see why there would be a problem. But I don't want to get down to the airport all ready to go and then they won't let me on b/c of the drugs or some BS that would be the worst.

So basically can I travel to south america with my suboxone?

I've flown a few times now domestically and never had a problem bringing suboxone. But I'm not sure about traveling internationally. I'd say just bring the bottle with the current perscription, put it with your toiletries, you'll be fine.

It also depends on the laws in the country you are going to. I understand you have a valid US prescription for suboxone but that does not mean a country like Japan, with relatively strict laws, will accept it as a legal thing. Suboxone is different then say oxycodone and south america is different then Japan so i fully believe you will be fine however, if you were a chronic pain patient who feels their US prescription makes drugs legal everywhere, i would say you are mistaken and you must contact their government as you risk arrest getting off the plane.

It does happen. I think you will be fine because of the type of medication and the place you are going. Just everyone note that a valid US prescription is only valid in the US so regardless of how you feel about it being your "right" to bring in illicit narcotics because the US says so, it most definitely is not. That would be like someone having a prescription for heroin maintenance in Sweden or something an thinking they will get it here, my only point being drug laws vary from country to country and bringing them in if it is illegal is still smuggling illegal narcotics... at least until you fight the charge, this is after you were deported back to the US of course.

I travel with my personal medication all over. I have not left the country with it, but even coming back from China I got an "RX" for xanax in Hong Kong and was allowed to bring it on the plane to the U.S. I do not see why they would not allow it.

They would have to search you bags thoroughly and then read the names and look them up. They usually don't go through all that work for a bottle or two. Now if you try to bring half a pharmacy with you, you might raise a few flags, just keep it to a minimum and you should be fine. Hell I usually travel with my RX in a tylenol bottle and the print out from the pharmacy in a folder so they are very unlikely to pull out tylenol bottle, empty them out, search the imprints online and go through all that. If you leave them n the RX bottle you make it very easy for them. There is no law saying your RX has to be carried in that particular bottle, just that you need to have an RX and it needs to be on your person. I find it safer to travel that way so that I do not risk someone somehow stealing my medicaiton.

Last edited:
There are usually forms out there for your doctor and a government official to sign that can help clear things up when travelling internationally with controlled substances, at least I remember getting them for my Ritalin for a few flights within the EU, and one between Europe and Canada.

IIRC, they were actually surprised that I wanted one of these forms for Methylphenidate, because most people who request those apparently get them for their opiate replacement therapy.

I went to mexico when I was subutex. I just kept it in the prescription bottle, and I had my RX sheet the pharmacist printed out. It never even came up.

Yeah Mexico is pretty lax,though! My buddy lives in San Diego and I thought it quite amusing how you can walk in like nothing then coming back to the states they randomly pull people and search the shit out of them and check everyone's ID.

You can take a months supply under something called a section 24 I think. Done this many times with Suboxone and other controlled drugs on most continents. It's a good way to get if the stuff tbh