• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Pills not working

pookabunny

Greenlighter
Not sure if this is the correct place but I'm sort of frustrated and confused. I've been having trouble sleeping for months because of anxiety and i finally got vistaril 50mg. I took 2 last night, felt almost nothing. I took 3 tonight and it's been an hour. How long does this take to kick in? I probably shouldn't take more than 3 but it's not doing anything.

Not sure if this is the correct place but I'm sort of frustrated and confused. I've been having trouble sleeping for months because of anxiety and i finally got vistaril 50mg. I took 2 last night, felt almost nothing. I took 3 tonight and it's been an hour. How long does this take to kick in? I probably shouldn't take more than 3 but it's not doing anything.

if i rember corectly but vistaril is like a muscle relaxor, it had a side effect of sleepenis but i would try this. Break them into halfs and take so their is no time release. (sorry for bad english. school and work, for 21 hours for whole week so im kinda in R mode)

Your anxiety is over riding the medication just keep calm and let your body get tired try getting melatonin!!

These pills are for "the short-term management of anxiety, tension and psychomotor agitation in conditions of emotional stress" .

The key word above is MANAGEMENT.
They are not hypnotics (sleeping tablets) and should not be administered as such.

What ,exactly, did the prescribing doctor write on the prescription and advise u when you received this new "treatment" ?

Any further advise is reliant on the above info.

Look forward to your reply.

Hydroxyzine certainly is used for sleep. As an H1 antagonist (or inverse agonist) and 5ht2A antagonist (like trazodone) in can induce drowsiness through both mechanisms, especially in patients with comorbid mental disorders. You should start feeling something within 60 mins but if 150mg isnt doing it, more isnt going to help. You need to get that anxiety under control and find a more suitable sleep med it seems.

Hydroxyzine certainly is used for sleep. As an H1 antagonist (or inverse agonist) and 5ht2A antagonist (like trazodone) in can induce drowsiness through both mechanisms, especially in patients with comorbid mental disorders. You should start feeling something within 60 mins but if 150mg isnt doing it, more isnt going to help. You need to get that anxiety under control and find a more suitable sleep med it seems.

The bold sentences in your quote is exactly what I am trying to get accross to the OP.
The medication itself is well documented through science and we could discuss its sedative effects for the next 2 years, but from the way I read the OP I understood it in this way, " you have been given these tablets to help you overcome whatever it is that is causing the anxiety, stress whatever in your life. A doctor has hopefully prescribed these tablets for you and has given you a dosage schedule to follow and hopefully a follow up appointment to see how they are working".

I am not that doctor, I don't know what is causing your anxiety either.
I do know about Hydroxyzine, however, and it's sedative effects, but it is not a hypnotic.
The OP is looking for something to help him/her sleep and the way he/she is dosing themselves clearly isn't working, for that specific purpose.
Does the OP have anxiety or insomnia or both?
Did the Doctor prescribe this in order to help the patient through stressful situations so that a more natural sleeping pattern could slowly become possible after trying to deal with said situations, or purely as a sleeping tablet?

I certainly hope it isn't the latter (at this early stage of "treatment"), and only the OP can inform us on these details.
Until we get a response from the OP we are just speculating which is useless.

I agree that it can be used for sleep, don't get me wrong, I just hope the OP gives us a little more info so we can give the most accurate advise.

Hope you understand.

I wasnt really directing that towards you, shreddedlettuce. I agree we can argue on the pharmacologic effects and what is a sedative vs hypnotic all day (I would maintain hydroxyzine is both but I digress). We are on the same page. Dont fret. :)

;) no probs.

I knew you'd understand, just want "pookabunny" to respond ASAP..

Thx for understanding.

Sorry I'm working a lot and didn't expect this to get replies. NY psychiatrist gave them to me because I get panicy at night and etc. I have anxiety not insomnia. :) I am high anxiety aka general anxiety.

OK, thx for getting back to us.
Do these tablets keep the condition they were prescribed for under control?
You say you don't have insomnia, but in your first post you mention that this anxiety is affecting your sleep, so I have an idea of what's going on just on the actual prescribed medication and your latest post.

Ok, so if this is the first time you are trying this medication we need to know exactly how it was prescribed (dosage and time of day etc) on the prescription from your psych.

We can take it from there.

Thx

Yeah I had the same issue, my anxiety and panic attacks prevented me from sleeping or getting back to sleep after waking in a panic. I was/am prescribed sertraline (Zoloft) and it totally fixed me. I dose in the evening and my anxiety the next day was controlled. I can think about the things that make me anxious and instead of those thoughts manifesting into physical symptoms like churning stomach and profuse sweating ultimately resulting in a panic attack those thoughts just stay in my head. It saved me from suicide no doubt. My sleep is fuct still but that's from inactivity due to chronic pain and too many different meds mucking up my bodies ability to sleep unassisted. Maybe this med would work for you like it does for me.