• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Not sure where to post this but I need information on the things I'm currently taking

Talon1111

Greenlighter
Right now i'm on my iPhone so it will show sort of difficult to post things so if any errors in a spelling occur, please forgive me because I am WAY to lazy to go back to fix it on this thing. (Ps I'm new here and just am seeking some information on what I'm currently taking. Thanks in advance.

So to start things off I'm almost 21 and....I'm not sure where I'm going with this. It's hard to type on an iPhone ._.

Okay here's where I'll start off I guess. I was in a very bad car accident long long ago (probably when I was 10 not sure) My back was broken in several places and I can't remember what the doctor says about where it was broken. Something about l5 or l6 something with l's lol

Anyway my stomach was also ripped to shreds or scar tissue or something. Don't quite remember the details. Suffice to say that after this all happened the doctors said I should have been dead but somehow I didn't die. So when they fixed me up, I was in a coma for like 8 months (what they say about you being able to hear people while you're in a coma isn't true btw, either that or I don't remember) after I woke up they said I couldn't ever possibly walk again. So I was put into orthopedics? I think is what it's called.

And after a while I could walk again just fine thank God. Keep in mind this all happened after the accident when I woke up from my long coma. After all that I was put in a terrible back brace for like 5 more months.

Back then I had a terrible doctor that didn't want to give me pain medication because it was "had for your liver" which is a joke because I've done my research since then and as long as you don't take a lot of acetaminophen you're alright. Anyway I didn't know that back then so I trucked through the pain for six long months. Also since then I've been put through like 50 x rays and that 3d x-ray thing and doctors can't find anything wrong as to why I have pain in my back which is just sad.

So to cut it short that's my story on why I have pain. So now I'm almost 21 I have a great pain doctor and I guess a decent primary doctor.

My pain doctor believes me and believes the pain that I have is muscle pain so every month I go in and receive pain shots that don't work :/ but he says just do it so that they have it on paper that they tried everything before giving me pain medication. So he's a cool doctor and one of the few I have had that I trust fully.

So every month I have to come in (stupid new FDA laws am I right?) to get a script for carisoprodol, and norco 10-325.

HERE IS ONE OF MY MAIN QUESTIONS (CAPITALIZED FOR THOSE WHO SKIPPED OTHER THINGS)

Currently I told him, and this is true, that the norco isn't working like it used to for my pain so he said that I have built a lot of tolerance since I've been on it for at least 2+ years.

So he said that he's going to script me some percocets for this month. I asked if it'll help the pain more and he said something like "it's called cycling. Once you build enough tolerance I switch you to a different medication for the pain to lower your tolerance of the one that you were on."

And I was very happy because I read about this before but no doctor ever believed in this or did this for me before.

(they used to do this a lot way back when people were given cocaine for their pain. They would dope them up with herein to lower their cocaine tolerance just a fun fact.)

Now here's the very big problem I am facing currently. I am in the worst back pain in my life right now. I have read that oxycodone is stronger than my norcos but I'm doubting that right now.

I was able to stop taking norcos for 3 days only before the pain got unbearable (this pain is like "I need a hospital" pain) and luckily my parents have norco scripts they don't use and they give them to me. So I had back up. Thank God I have great loving parents.

Now what I want to really know here is why is the pain so bad? Is it withdrawal? This was my first thought. I figured going on these forums would be the best step for information. Oh also I was taking 4 10/325 norcos and 2 somas in the morning and the same at night.

For a total of 8 norcos and 4 somas a day. I figured this is why my pain is so tremendous at the moment.

Am I right? Or am I somehow immune to freaking oxycodone? I take 4 of those with 2 somas and they do not I repeat DO NOT cut the pain.

However if I take 3 oxycodone and only 1 norco with 2 somas it cuts through the pain for most of the day until night. Why?

Why does that one norco make such a difference? I thought I was going crazy. I thought the pain was inside my head. But it's not. I am very proud of myself that I cut myself down to only 2 norcos a day. The pain is still very bad but I'm willing to take a little bit of pain so that the next month I won't need to take as many pills for it.

So is the pain of withdrawal overpowering the power of oxycodone? How...?

Also here is a list of the medication I'm currently taking if it helps at all.

Also I am prescribed all this medication (155 norcos, 90 somas, currently 90 oxycodone, 90 xanax, 90 lorazapam and 90 triazolam) just in case you were wondering.

Day time (for this month) 3 oxycodone and 1 norco. 2 somas and a xanax.

Night time - 3 oxycodone and 1 norco. 2 somas.

Bed time (which because of work is usually at 5AM...) 1 triazolam, 1 gabapentin, 1 xanax, 1 lorazapam.

I realize the bed time pill schedule is very ridiculous but due to my work schedule and the fact that triazolam doesn't make me sleep I have to take these to even get a few hours of sleep.

I also unfortunately realize that most of you will judge me and say that I'm a junky and that I only take all this to feel high or a buzz. If that's how you feel then I don't blame you after all you don't know me. You only know what I have typed here. But I will say one thing, I work 40+ hours per week. I protect people (it is my job after all) I don't drink nor do I or ever have smoked. I do not buy drugs from people or have ever tried any illegal medication, not even marijuana.

The only reason I take what I am prescribed is because I am under a great deal of pain that only few will understand. I also have anxiety thanks to the car accident and I have been diagnosed with severe insomnia.

I noticed that I basically typed out a book and I'm sorry for that. Also please note that I have no intention to stop taking what I was prescribed because of I do I suffer from the pain, etc.

Thank you whoever reads this. I had more to ask but I don't think anyone wants to even read this much. Maybe in a separate post perhaps.

wow man, i really feel for you. sounds like you've built a tolerance. i don't think oxy is much stronger than hydro mg for mg.

your're taking a lot of apap though. it's a safe daily amount but you're taking 1400mg in each dose. i think maybe to need to tell your doctor they're simply not working and you want something without paracetamol (para is ridiculously weak as a painkiller). if he's a dick then maybe go for another doctor.

ibuprofen could help, as could pregabalin maybe but i'm no doctor.

beware of taking loads of opiates daily for long periods. it sounds ike you''ll need these meds for life so you dont want to build a huge permanent tolerance.

and withdrawal will bring its own horrible aches and pains as well as magnifying pain in your back.

oxycodone and hydrocodone are active in the same region. IMO 10 MG hydro is equal to 5 MG oxy. Ask your doctor to script the ER formulation of morphine or opana or to script dilaudid as that is true cycling as while they also work in the opiate region they bind to seperate opiate receptors. Fentanyl patches are also a choice, but that's a dependancy you want to avoid as well as methadone.

Edit: You take a lot for your age.... I really hope you dont drink. Mixing the benzos (axiety meds like xanax) with the opiates are dangerous enough and you serriously risk killing yourself..... You really have some unproffesional doctors that do not care for your long term well being to be on what you are on at your age.

Get the ER formulation for oxycodone at least (Oxycotin), but you will need either the 60 or 80 mg dose, but one twice a day should resslly cover your tolerance needs.

Last edited:
Opioids have cross tolerance. If youre withdrawing from hydrocodone, oxycodone will get you well and vice-versa. Theyre both mu opioid agonists. So cycling between opioids isn't gonna do much for tolerance.Taking less opioids will, as it sounds like you realize, so cutting back when you can will only help you in the long run.

I'm pretty puzzled as to why there would be that much difference in pain releif between oxy and hydro.Possibly to do with oxycodone's kappa receptor activity?? Perhaps somone with more pharmacology knowledge will have an idea on this.

Opioids have cross tolerance. If youre withdrawing from hydrocodone, oxycodone will get you well and vice-versa. Theyre both mu opioid agonists. So cycling between opioids isn't gonna do much for tolerance.Taking less opioids will, as it sounds like you realize, so cutting back when you can will only help you in the long run.

I'm pretty puzzled as to why there would be that much difference in pain releif between oxy and hydro.Possibly to do with oxycodone's kappa receptor activity?? Perhaps somone with more pharmacology knowledge will have an idea on this.
Codeine and morphine and teir its semi-synthetic counter parts become more selective to their home sub receptor as they get smaller [natural>hydro>oxy]. Codeine is selwctive to kappa, but it also converts into its morphine counterpart except for a small percentage lacking the enzym to convert it to its morphine counterpart. Morphine has Mu activity and does not convert to codeine so will not have prodrug kappa activity although morphine and some semi-synths have kappa activity.... It can be confusing even though it is simple.

Now as effect go they both induce analgesia and sleep as they are narcotics or any psycoactive compound with sleep-inducing qualities. While Mu heavily induces sleep kappa seems to start inducing sleep, but then create an extra effect I can only describe stimulation through vertigo were things feel in motion and high energy vs still and rested like mu. Both can induce feelings of euphoria if it is the effect sought after. I also have suspicion isn't just receptor downplay or w.e, but a disproportionate balance between the Mu and kappa receptors as some opiate w/d feel different than others... I might be wrong, but it explains too much for me not to suspect and I don't have the means to test my theory.

Thanks everyone I'll read when I have time but I skimmed and someone said they hope I don't drink at all.

I just wanted to confirm I don't drink or even smoke or get high off any crap. I can promise you all that. :)

Also I dont drive. Ever. I won't drive while I'm under the influence of medication.

Possibly the back pain is pronounced because of the amount of APAP, as was previously mentioned. Opiate withdrawal brings quite a bit of aches and pains as well. Maybe a combination between those two?

Good to know you do not drink, but many legit patients taking as prescribed have died do to careless doctors. Keith Richards.... Erm Heith Ledger (I always mix m up they sound alike) for instance. If medicine information had more easy access and less obscurity there would not be such an abundance of uneducated patients as everyone using any drug wants to learn how not to whether some are ready to acknowledge it.

edit: \/Classic!

Last edited:
Good to know you do not drink, but many legit patients taking as prescribed have died do to careless doctors. Keith Richards for instance. If medicine information had more easy access and less obscurity there would not be such an abundance of uneducated patients as everyone using any drug wants to learn how not to whether some are ready to acknowledge it.

" Internet killed the rocknroll star " (sung to) video killed the radio star

Good to know you do not drink, but many legit patients taking as prescribed have died do to careless doctors. Keith Richards for instance. If medicine information had more easy access and less obscurity there would not be such an abundance of uneducated patients as everyone using any drug wants to learn how not to whether some are ready to acknowledge it.
Keith Richards is alive and kicking afaik.

Who the fuck played joker again??? I feel like the biggest idiot for this one.....

Edit: Heith Ledger right? Boy did I get that one wrong...

Who the fuck played joker again??? I feel like the biggest idiot for this one.....

Edit: Heith Ledger right? Boy did I get that one wrong...
Holy shit that cracked me up. You had me so confused with that shit now it makes sense. Fuck this thread got derailed. I do agree on the undereducated patients, but I feel like alot of the blame goes on them, not just the doctors. If your taking something in you body everyday, you should do your research, not take the dr.'s word as god, because sometimes they can be pretty clueless, sadly.

To the op: I would definitely advise taking it easy on the benzos, more worrisome than opiates imo, but the combo the two is especially bad. Also, beleive it or not, cannabis might be of help to you in conjunction with the painkillers. Best of luck, stay safe.

I won't use cannabis...to me it just seems like some crazy miracle drug. One that might work but won't help me since I'm regularly urine tested at my job being an armed guard and all.

Also to those who say be careful. I know. I'm well aware of the risks I'm taking and I appreciate the concern. You are nice people much better than some forums.

Anyway I do a ton of research sometimes I do days or more of research on the medication and the interactions with other meds. Etc.

So I know what I'm doing is like playing Russian Roulette but I believe I'll be fine. If anything is going to kill me it's this God forsaken pain. >_>

Talon...I'm sorry you're in pain! I can certainly empathize, as I was airlifted from a near fatal crash during my junior year of HS. That was almost 40 years ago, so...I existed for YEARS taking muscle relaxers, because that was all they'd script.

In my 20's (lucky me) disease ended my life through multiple surgeries and chemotherapy that castrated me. I still refused anything stronger than Darvocet. I'd still be all over those orange beauties if I could get them. They weren't "perfect" for pain relief...not by a long shot...but they made it "possible" for me to have a life.

FAST FORWARD 20+ years (or as F&W says) "probably not" lmao...At 53, I had to dismount my trusty white steed, head shoot him and hide inside his carcass. I surrendered to PM, which was the worst mistake of my life. THIS is not the answer for me. I want to try MMJ.

Different strokes for different folks, but beware of Oxycodone. My PM doctor prescribes it, after MS Contin and Fentanyl didn't work for me. The Oxy IMO doesn't relieve the pain, but changes my perception. I FEAR IT because I can see how rebound pain could lead to increased dosage seeking relief. Just be careful and be OPEN to adjunct therapies to keep your tolerance down.

Yea, apparently I'm a freak because I don't like Oxycodone. I'm trying Kratom, but equal stoppage of the gut function. I want to try Cannabis, but don't have access. I prefer to try drops of THC:CBD, but I've better chances of Santa being alive and well.

Taco, F&W, RDP...THANKS for the LAUGH...I needed that today. I'm Flintstone era, so yea...Keith Whitley and yea, Heath Ledger played the Joker. Eight years is but a vapor! Now, 54 of those pain-filled fuckers is another story!

Ya my bad... Didn't mean to derail, but at least I got a larf!

Sorry to hear your situation is so crazy. I wish I could recommend help, but running into a situation of my own.

Hey OP, the biggest change I think could benefit you in the long run is to switch all of your short-acting opiates for ER (extended release) meds. Seems to me you have too many ups and downs med wise throughout the day with the Hydrocodone and Oxycodone. Oxycontin (someone else mentioned) is listed as a twice a day med (will work up to 12 hours) but in reality, and this comes from personal experience and a bunch of other folks on-line, reality is it really works for about 8 hours to maybe 10. Some doctors acknowledge that fact, while others do not. Luckily, when I was on it, I had a doctor that dosed me 3x a day.

Also, it doesn't make much sense to me to be taking Norcos and Percocets at the same time. BTW, you mentioned the Percocets did not cut it for you compared to the Norcos, however you didn't mention what mg. they were. That may make a big difference. Why exactly are you taking the Xanax? With everything else you take, that one is the most worrisome in my opinion. For the record, I don't know you or anything, I'm just throwing out some ideas and suggestions. I'm not trying to tell you what you should do. Just stuff to think about.

One last thing, I've never been able to find out if there is some scientific reason for this but some people respond well to Hydrocodone and some respond better to Oxycodone. Even taking into account that the Oxy is supposed to be like 1.5 times stronger (I think that's right). It's just the way their body digests the meds. Maybe you're one of those folks and it's just as simple as that. Who knows?

Keep a good working relationship with your doctor because it really does sound like he's trying hard to really help you. Don't be afraid to ask any question you may have. Best of Luck!