Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Herald-Sun 31 Mar 03: Adverts link to drugs

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Adverts link to drugs
By Mandi Zonneveldt
31mar03

ALCOHOL advertising campaigns featuring drinkers acting like drug-takers have been labelled irresponsible by health authorities.

One of the most shocking advertisements, for the alcoholic energy drink Mezzanine, features a woman lying on the floor snorting a drink through her nose. Another campaign for Baitz alcoholic cocktails shows a young man dancing in a rave-like frenzy.

Australian Drug Foundation research officer Cameron Duff said alcohol manufacturers were trying to make alcohol appear more glamorous in an attempt to win back night clubbers who had turned to illicit drugs.

"They're starting to position alcohol itself as a drug," he said. "It's perhaps also very subtly promoting drug use."

A state government survey last year found one-in-six 16 to 24-year-olds had tried ecstasy and the drug continues to be a favourite among night clubbers and ravers.

National Council on Drugs executive officer Gino Vumbaca said the ads were irresponsible.

"What they're saying is it's cool to drink alcohol and by the same implications it's cool to take drugs," he said. "We know younger people are impressionable and they're tapping right into that."

But Smart Creative managing partner Ben Lilley, who was involved in the Baitz campaign, denied the advertising was a deliberate attempt to cash in on the alleged glamour of drug use.

He said drug references had not crossed his mind in creating the ads.

"There was certainly no deliberate link with the drug culture," he said. "We would be pretty stupid to make that association."

From: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,6214506%5E421,00.html

What a load of utter shit - they're aiming for this market, obviously. However, alcohol IS a drug... too bad if that gets rubbed in people's faces for awhile. Unfortunately though, showing someone fucked up on alcohol isn't gonna sell anything, so you have to show someone looking like they're fucked up on pills to make alcohol look fun. Go figure.

BigTrancer :)

I agree BT, but have you seen the Mezzanine ad? Whoever was responsible for that MUST have know the EXACT response that it would receive.

I know there was a moment for a while there that punters were snorting Tequila shots (god knows why you'd want to), but the ad does take it too far, and was IMHO just asking for trouble.

Saturday, September 01, 2001

ALCOHOLIC ENERGY DRINK TACKLES DRUG PROBLEM

Melbourne - With the ever-growing demand and use of illicit substances such as ecstasy, an Australian company has created a new range of beverages that is set to change the way revelers socialize by offering a safer alternative. The new alcoholic energy drink called mezzanine combines exotic flavors with alcohol and energy.

Adhering to the strict guidelines in manufacturing and government regulations, BPA has manufactured mezzanine™ energy alcohol™ to be a responsible beverage safe for public consumption that offers an invigorating and intoxicating state of being.

Unlike non-alcoholic energy drinks that contain extremely high but legal dosages of caffeine, mezzanine is blended with moderate levels of caffeine. "The unfortunate people who have lost their lives mixing energy drinks with alcohol basically flooded their blood stream with caffeine", said a company spokesperson today. "If the caffeine levels were lower, the risk of death would be substantially reduced."

And contrary to urban mythology, the combination of alcohol and caffeine in beverages is believed by many scientists to decrease the risk of heart stroke more effectively than pharmaceutical drugs.

With the ever-growing use of illicit substances amongst today's revelers, mezzanine aims to reduce the need and abuse of these drugs by offering a safer alternative.

Australian made and planned for launch later this year, mezzanine will initially be available in selected nightclubs and bars. Mezzanine is set to create a real stir.

I think that answers the question that this ad is aiming for 'this market'. And i am sure they are loving the response!

8o

This is too funny, alcohol companies trying to market their product as a drug for it to be popular, everybody knows alcohol is way safer than any drug :)

hopefully we will start getting Sang Song and M150's... yah.

but yeah the last thing we want is drunk people being able to dance longer!!!!!. lol

Ho hum

How naive do they think we 'young people' are? C'mon, credit us with a little intelligence please - an alcoholic drink needs to be promoted this way to be 'cool'? FFS! I also seriously question that claim about alcohol+caffeine reducing the risk of heat stroke more than meds... 8(

"They're starting to position alcohol itself as a drug," he said. "It's perhaps also very subtly promoting drug use."

HAHAHAAHAHH!!! my god...imagine that...promoting alcohol as a drug!!!
please tell me someone wrote a letter in after that one pointing out, yet again, how completely ignorant the herald-sun are?