• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

More teens trying this "club drug" unaware of dangers

BA

Bluelight Crew
John reached a defining moment in his young life inside a warehouse filled with flashing lights, techno music and partygoers he didn't know. Earlier that evening, the North County teen had swallowed an Ecstasy tablet when he attended a Los Angeles rave, or all-night dance party. It wasn't long before the drug raised the levels of serotonin in his blood, making him feel euphoric. The drug-induced elation caused him to hug other people and dance near the speakers to absorb the music.

He eventually reached a self-described state of nirvana.

"I felt I was God," the 16-year-old said. "I was at peace. I felt like anything was possible."

Reaching this state of mind came at a price, however. After four hours of stimulation, John began a downward spiral.

"All of a sudden your emotions come crashing down on you," said John, a sophomore at a North County alternative high school. "After two hours, I felt suicidal. I felt I had no place in the world."

Ecstasy has been a growing problem among teens and young adults since mass quantities of it were smuggled into the United States from Europe in the early 1990s, authorities said. Over the last several years, the number of young users has increased dramatically.

In 2001, 3.9 million people between the ages of 18 and 25 admitted they have tried Ecstasy at least once in their lifetime, according to a national survey conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Association. In 2000, 2.8 million in the same age group said they tried Ecstasy at least once, statistics show.

About 746,000 people in the 12-to-17 age group in 2001 said they tried the drug at least once in their lifetime according to the association, which is a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. In 2000, 615,000 people in the same age group admitted trying Ecstasy at least once.

Statistics on Ecstasy use or arrests involving Ecstasy in San Diego County are not kept by health and law enforcement agencies, but despite the lack of data, authorities say the drug is a growing problem.

"It is a bigger problem than it was a few years ago," said San Diego police Lt. Carl Black, who is a member of the San Diego County Narcotics Task Force. "It is more popular among high school students than everything else, other than marijuana."

Because Ecstasy is the newest drug to hit the region, more teens are interested in experimenting with it, said Marsha, a North County freshman.

The drug is largely sold at nightclubs and at raves, which are parties marketed to teens as nonalcoholic events, Black said. Eventually the subculture of music, Ecstasy and partying made the drug popular and readily available to teens everywhere, even on high school campuses.

"I think anyone who wants to find these drugs can," said Dana Stevens, director of the North Inland Community Prevention Program. "It has been more mainstream over the last five years. I don't think it is going away."

Instead of going away, the drug has sent a growing number of people to the emergency room. Between 1998 and 2001, the number of Ecstasy-related emergency room visits in San Diego County increased from 14 to 51, said John Redman, co-chairman of the county Club Drug Task Force.

"I am very alarmed by the numbers," said Redman. "The kids that are taking it are unaware of the dangers."

Besides side effects from the drug itself, another danger is that the pill may not actually be Ecstasy, say law officials. As demand increases, so have the number of "fakes" for Ecstasy that may instead contain part or all amphetamine, caffeine, codeine, dxm, ephedra/ephedrine, ketamine, MDA, methamphetamine and PCP.

Popular pill

Ecstasy's chemical name is methlyenedioxymethylamphetamine, or MDMA. A majority of the tablets, which come in different colors, are produced in the Netherlands and Belgium, but some are made in clandestine labs in the United States.

Since Ecstasy is much harder to manufacture than methamphetamine, makeshift labs are not as common, authorities said. Each pill costs as little as a quarter to produce but sells on the street for $20 to $25.

Generally, users of this highly addictive drug feel euphoric and become extremely sociable. In some cases, however, their heartbeat, blood pressure and body temperature rise, causing them to sweat profusely. The central nervous system becomes overstimulated, and their teeth may start grinding uncontrollably.

These side effects are at times serious enough to warrant a trip to the hospital; at other times, even for a first-time user, they can be fatal, Black said. Depending on their body chemistry, some people escape the side effects, he said, but Ecstasy will always impair one's ability to drive.

The danger is masked by the drug, which looks like an aspirin and can be easily ingested, sheriff's Deputy Dustin Lopez said.

"What makes it popular with kids is that it is easy to take," he said.

Some users believe taking Ecstasy is like taking a prescription medication, so they downplay the dangers, Lopez said. Drugs like heroin are seen as being more dangerous because it's injected into the veins.

Ecstasy's use at raves and nightclubs also make it more acceptable to teens, he said.

"A lot of these kids who go to these things don't consider themselves drug users," Lopez said. "They see themselves as recreational drug users."

John, who said he only used the drug once, said peer pressure and escaping from problems are reasons that teens use Ecstasy.

"Every time they do it, it makes them feel better," he said.

Education and enforcement

Detecting the use of Ecstasy is difficult for police because the pill is small and easily concealed. Also, it's difficult for undercover detectives to make arrests at raves because dealers can escape through the crowd, authorities said.

"It is difficult to penetrate clubs and raves," Lopez said, of efforts by undercover agents. "It is just a younger type of crowd."

But local law agencies have been making progress over the years.

In 2000, sheriff's deputies arrested 19 people and closed Club Velvet at the Del Mar Fairgrounds after the club and its patrons were accused of dealing and using Ecstasy. In 2001, nearly 1,000 Ecstasy pills were seized from a car stopped at the U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint near the San Diego and Riverside county line.

One of the biggest Ecstasy operations occurred in October 2001, when Drug Enforcement Administration officials raided an Escondido lab that was capable of producing 1 million to 1.5 million tablets a month, worth more than $20 million.

Strengthening the law

Officials are also trying to crack down on Ecstasy by strengthening the law. Assemblywoman Pat Bates, R-Oceanside, introduced AB 57 to ban the drug's use by changing its legal classification. The bill cleared the Assembly Public Safety Committee 7-0 last month, but could encounter opposition when it reaches the Senate Public Safety Committee. The committee killed a similar bill by Bates last year.

Opponents contend that passing the bill could clog an already overburdened prison system by increasing the number of people imprisoned for what are relatively minor offenses.

The bill must pass both houses before it can be signed into law by Gov. Gray Davis.

Besides beefing up laws, education must go hand-in-hand with enforcement, school officials and community activists said.

Peggy Lynch, superintendent of the San Dieguito High School District, said having teachers discuss drug use in the classroom and encouraging students to discuss the topic with their parents are good preventive measures.

Stevens said schools should bring in speakers such as emergency-room nurses who have firsthand knowledge about drug overdoses. Parent-teacher associations, she said, should also get involved in educating students about the dangers of Ecstasy.

Marsha, the North County freshman, said teaching teens ways to make better choices is the only way to prevent them from using Ecstasy.

For some teens like John, experiencing the drug's horrible side effects and seeing his friends suffer from it were enough to persuade him never to use it again.

"The next week, I was at another rave, and a friend passed out because he was dehydrated after using Ecstasy. He was rushed to the hospital for treatment," John said. "I was scared. I realized then it was a lot more life-threatening than I thought."

The link
KENNETH MA
Staff Writer - North County Times (CA)
3-30-03 Release

I'll be the first one the point this out, but it's not a profound comment or anything:

PCP in pills?!?! Uh huh.

"All of a sudden your emotions come crashing down on you," said John, a sophomore at a North County alternative high school. "After two hours, I felt suicidal. I felt I had no place in the world."

no quote but pffffffffffffffffffffffft

Drugs like heroin are seen as being more dangerous because it's injected into the veins.

Shame on them, bad grammar!!! Now this whole article is invalid. Sheesh.

Education and enforcement

this articles definition of education and enforcement = misinformation, misconception, brainwashing, and guilt tripping. I was half expecting them to link ecstasy sales to terrorism. "Osama Bin Ladin funded terrorist attacks partly on sales of Ecstasy at raves!" Well, some of the other things they said were just as extreme.

ban the drug's use by changing its legal classification

I thought it was allready classified as Schedule 1? How stronger are they going to classify it?

Opponents contend that passing the bill could clog an already overburdened prison system by increasing the number of people imprisoned for what are relatively minor offenses.

Sounds more like an argument AGAINST the article. And I agree. Soon the whole fuckin country (at least those of us who arent white and filthy rich) are gonna be in jail.

Peggy Lynch, superintendent of the San Dieguito High School District, said having teachers discuss drug use in the classroom and encouraging students to discuss the topic with their parents are good preventive measures.

Hey, cuz thats what got me and quite a few people I know interested in drugs in the first place!

For some teens like John, experiencing the drug's horrible side effects and seeing his friends suffer from it were enough to persuade him never to use it again.

Lol they diddnt mention John got a pill of pure DXM, and someone kicked the shit out of him in the parkinglot for no particular reason, and he was manic depressive to begin wiht. Lol.

This article made me laugh lots. For people who are "more informed" all this is gonna do is make us laugh at the "authorities" and discredit everything they say. The bad part is, most people arent informed, and will fall into the psychology of misinformation control.

8)

re

"PCP in pills?!?! Uh huh."

Actually, there has been PCP in beans..Green CU's were one I remember particularly..One was actually PCP and caffeine, with nothing else...Can you believe that bullshit??

"Generally, users of this highly addictive drug feel euphoric and become extremely sociable"

Ok, WTF?!..I swear I have heard this ridiculous statement before..They're just pulling crap from past articles..Get your fucking facts straight before you call something addictive, highly addictive at that..cheese 8)

"I felt I was God," the 16-year-old said. "I was at peace. I felt like anything was possible." "

Christ, what a cheeseball..Stupid amateurs..I had long decided I was my own God long before I ever dropped a bean :) (and I believe everyone is their own as well) Peace and possiblity effects yes, but I haven't heard many ppl describe themselves as God on it..

"the number of Ecstasy-related emergency room visits in San Diego County increased from 14 to 51, said John Redman, co-chairman of the county Club Drug Task Force. "I am very alarmed by the numbers," said Redman. "

Oh no, not 35 ppl in 3 fucking years!!..There is that many emergency room visits, from teenagers, in probably a month or less in that area..Everytime they try this argument, they always try the danger scare..Yes it has the possiblity to be dangerous, but just look at the actual numbers of emergency room visits..Fucking period..Focus on the actual dangers, not the media-percieved ones..

"The drug is largely sold at nightclubs and at raves, which are parties marketed to teens as nonalcoholic events, Black said"

Yeah, cuz we know it's not sold ANYWHERE else!! 8) EVIL, EVIL, EVIL RAVES!!! STOP THE RAVES AND WE'LL STOP THE ECSTASY!! I can't believe the thinking patterns of the fools against this..Quit blaming substance use on certain genres of ppl, and certain genres of music

"Lol they diddnt mention John got a pill of pure DXM, and someone kicked the shit out of him in the parkinglot for no particular reason, and he was manic depressive to begin wiht. Lol."

WOOD, are you serious? This article is seriously mis-informing the public if it is..

Hey, I liked the PCP pills. I purposely bought alot of them.

Last edited:
Do people actually believe this crap? You don't even have to use E to know that this article is complete shit. Everybody else has already pointed out the flaws so theres nothing left for me to say except that to me the funniest part was when they called it "highly addictive".

^^^ What is so unfortunate is that uneducated people who read this WILL believe it as truth!

Do you think this kid had any problems before he took it?

I think I've been reading this same article since 2000.

Example:

(Title with "ecstasy" "club drug" "danger" "rave" "teens" or "evil")

by (journalist who needs to fill a deadline)

(one paragraph description of a rave)

(wacky quote from ecstasy user)

(stuff about how ecstasy will fuck you up)

(more stuff about how ecstasy will fuck you up)

(mention of some unlikely cut found in pills)

(quote from law enforcement or doctor)

(some statistics which seem frightening)

(another quote by some ecstasy user)

(smartass comment on that quote by ecstasy user).

It's this century's version of mad libs.

WOOD, are you serious? This article is seriously mis-informing the public if it is..

no i was making a sarcastic comment in referense to the misinformation they throw out as "ecstasy" incidents. For instance, a hospital will report just about 90% of any drug-induced incident that isnt heroin, cocaine, meth, or alchohol as "ecstasy." Its that misreported. U could prolyl chug cough syrup and have a seizure and theyd say it was ecstasy, thats where they get their fucked up statistics from.

I am not sayin E is safe. It isnt. But its fucked up that they fight drug use by making people stupid. Cmon, diddnt we learn something in the dark ages?

It wasn't long before the drug raised the levels of serotonin in his blood, making him feel euphoric.

Ummm, serotonin in your blood does sweet FA except get kinased to f@#k.

At post-junctional serotonin receptors however is where the fun starts.

God, I love sinking my teeth into these articles! Keep em coming BA!

Hehehe... I am a Aussie here (so what anyway LOL) it was actually news like this scared me off to try E's and I tried them for the first time this year, and I am nearly 25, yeah I am a late starter, but if I think about it, I am kinda glad that I started late, not when I was a teenager, otherwise it might have affected my studies, yeah people could disargee with me here, but I mean you never know right?

Maybe these Bullshit news helped me to start late? and after tried them this year, it makes me laugh my lungs out about how they were "evil" and shit like that, if you guys get my drift here what I am trying to say here.

It's easier to buy E's in Australia than looking around for weed unless ya grow ya own ;) I have used less and less MJ this year, I am starting to prefer E's over pot, and I f$#k'in love them, ADDICTIVE?? I dunno... somedays I couldn't stop thinking about them not that I want to pop everyday, just mostly weekend or every 2nd/3rd weekends. Usually pop 2-3 strong ones in a night 8)

Funny, other day, my best mate was having relationship problems with her boyfriend, and I gave them half each, and they talked their souls out and they are very much deeply in love again... not they pop all the time, they are one of these "once every 6 months type of users" if you know what i mean.

Sorry if I posted these stuff in the wrong forum here. I know i am off tracked here over few topics in one. (Sorry :\ )

Cheers,

Urbanhog

haha, when they said "highly addictive" i literally laughed out loud.
what a load of bullshit!! propaganda like that pisses me off so much.

how many of those emergency room visits do u reckon included some paranoid nut thinking his chest was crushing itself, only to say 30mins later when he starts coming down that 'im fine, i wanna go home'

it's all fucked up! the one thing that really makes me angry and makes feel completely impotent is the fact that who has the power and then controls the media will always have the interest to keep the masses ignorant or worse, misinformed on subjects like this.... it's all fucked up:X