• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

suboxone maintenance and pain

stefx85

Bluelighter
I was wondering.. If your on buprenorphine maintenance and you have pain what kinds of drugs is used to treat that pain? say in an acute setting- broken leg or whatever?

Suboxone can be used for pain. There are really no way you could relive that pain through an opiate based pain killer. Because your subs are blocking all those receptors. Try alieve or Advil

I was wondering.. If your on buprenorphine maintenance and you have pain what kinds of drugs is used to treat that pain? say in an acute setting- broken leg or whatever?
I was on subs for many years. It is not a good painkiller. Something I read said fentanol was the only opiate to override subs.

Thanks for the reply guys and yea I thought about the opioids being blocked with buprenorphine in the first place. I searched a bit and apparently ramifentanyl is the one that will pass the suboxone.. The reason I asked is that im in chronic pain and considered buprenorphine for pain management, but seeing as I sometimes have breakthrough pain no other med would be able to work in the situation so basically agonists is the only way?

Suboxone can be used for pain. There are really no way you could relive that pain through an opiate based pain killer. Because your subs are blocking all those receptors. Try alieve or Advil

not accurate. it really depends on buprenorphine dosage.