• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

methadone detox with oxycodone

Timbhmaxx22

Greenlighter
I have been on methadone for 16yrs now i am detoxing off and my doc is using oxycodone as a way to help control withdrawal symptoms, has anyone ever done this or heard of it , I'm trying to get a idea of how bad an idea this was, I don't think it's working out but can't tell my doc anything.
Thanks.

If you've been on methadone for that long, the withdrawal is going to be awful. I get where your doc is coming from switching you from a long-acting opiate onto a short-acting opiate to more effectively taper your use. Most people on methadone for addiction can't really be trusted to taper themselves off a faster acting opiate without abusing it, but it seems your doc has faith in you. In my personal opinion ,this isn't necessarily a bad idea if you can keep from abusing the oxycodone, and it will help you get off of the narcotics more quickly and hopefully less painfully. It's still gonna take a while, but it shouldn't take as long.

16 years of methadone huh? Prepare yourself for the quickening man, because it will not be enjoyable. You're a lucky duck that your doctor is giving you another strong opioid to taper with. You will get the most utility from your oxycodone by waiting the longest-bearable time between dosing. You're probably in for 2-3 weeks of acute withdrawal and a long period of post-acute withdrawal which I can only imagine will last for months; months which will seem like years. My recent methadone detox - 3 years MMT, 120mg per day PO - has made a month and a half seem like a literal lifetime.

I don't normally like to focus on doom and gloom in these situations, as positive reinforcement is very helpful from others and from within yourself, but you need to take into account the length of your withdrawal when you make the decision as to when and with how much material you dose. There will be pain, but you don't have to go cold turkey. I might suggest acquiring some gabapentin or pregabalin, clonidine, loperamide, ondansetron and Cannabis if you feel your mental state can take it. The cannabis, along with the ondansetron, can hold emesis at bay and stimulate appetite. Your body will appreciate the calorie intake. Consider popping a multivitamin after each small meal.

It will be hard, but all you need is time. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I have experienced it. I got high a couple of times (heroin) after hopping off of methadone but all in all, maintained a steady state of abstinence. After about 6 weeks, I began to feel less like a worthless, pitiful creature. I thought about suicide constantly, but had neither the balls nor the motivation to string myself up.

Good luck.

Hey guys,
Talking about wd's you better fucking believe it, I think it's changed my mind, I have taking oxy before and now an hour or two after I take one I feel hungover , extremely tired, no energy at all, so I may end up going to suboxone, I mean on methadone I was numb in every sense of the word. It's the devil's own recipe, anyway, this all started 4 weeks ago and the oxy has made it easier but I have to take them on a clock, if I forget my body reminds me real fast, it's really hard at night , my body wakes me up take one and can't sleep , so i guess we'll take it as it comes, sucks huh?
Thanks for he reply

Hey Keif,
Thanks for the reply I hear you man, I have a super doc she great, I have told her a bunch of times, "this is got to stop I've made a big mistake " bla,bla,bla, crying , depression, it's insanity , but it's been about 28 days off, 110mg methadone , I tapered to 20 mg, rather quickly, then jumped off onto oxycodone 30ir &40er but the 30's seem to help the most and they do hold back the worst of the wd's , but like I was saying earlier, after an hour or so after I take one I feel hungover , tired ,week, no energy at all, feels like a mile to the back porch. Really sucks, I don't know what that is all about, will talk to doc about it soon.
But you know your shit, you know what it does to your mind and body, I just could not see myself on the clinic titty for ever and it would be for ever. So there is a happy exit to this road? How long until you felt completely sane, I mean get up and cack a grin? Maybe smile at your woman, tell her you love her and actually mean it ?
Hey thanks a load, man I really appreciate your advice , it nice to know we have been on the same hell express before,
I thank you ...