• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What to do with the singles thread - Final version (I promise)

Singles thread, what's to be done?

• Keep it, but allow topics covered in the singles thread to be moved into threads of their own theref

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Make it into a roll-call/social banter thread, keeping serious discussion to new threads

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Keep more of an eye on it and delete all the whinging/whining i'm gone/i'm back posts

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PsychoKitten

Bluelight Crew
Okies boys and girls, third time lucky hmm?

Please read the content of this post and any following before voting, you have seven days from the time I put this up to vote. You do not need to vote straight away.

I’m stealing loads from my posts in the last poll, so no doubt most of this you’ve seen before but please read it again.

The poll will be open for one week and at the end of that week the results will be taken into consideration and an announcement made, then another few days for any feedback to be given.

Please understand the following:
  • This poll is open to all users of Aus Social
  • Social is stagnating; possible great threads are getting lost within the singles thread, which half of social doesn't open, this poll and the previous versions are as a direct result of feedback from you.
  • Saying “If you don’t like it don’t open it” is no longer a viable option. It alienates a large majority of the posters in this forum from participating.
  • We WANT your input, please don’t just vote and walk away, tell us your opinion.
  • This is your chance to tell us what you want to get out of the singles thread experience and the Aus Social Forum
  • We will not be transferring the majority of threads that evolve from the discussion in the singles thread into SLR, just because it is discussion about a relationship does not mean it can not be discussed here.
  • There is no option to kill the thread. It will not die, it will evolve. Choose how it will evolve.
    [/list=a]
    My own personal views have been repeated ad nauseam in the previous thread, please go back and read all posts in that thread before voting.

Thanks

I disagree in principal with any poll which does not give the full list of options avaialble.

the option to close the thread and move on should be included and allowed to stand on it's own two feet.

I also appreciate not having my vote nullified because you feel my opinion on this matter doesn't count 8)

Originally posted by nezo from the other poll thread
why get rid of the kill it option? more than a quater of the people who voted chose it!
yes....this then means that 3 quarters of the people who voted, wanted to keep the thread in one way, shape or form. Therefore the majority has spoken, and it stays.

This poll is now to decide what form it takes.

Can't win... :(

*sigh*

[edit] I am really glad I'm pretty much going to be away for the week of this poll :\

Edit again: thanks apples.

Last edited:
I'll be taking over,...

And I demand respect!

8( 8) 8(

re: oopsz

Noted :)

And it shall be discussed freely,

This is our time to evolve 8o

Yes, I was going to vote "Don't change it" as well, but it hasn't been included as an option... :\

Given the number of posts that thing attracts why dont we just turn it into its own forum and then send it of to be hosted by some really slow crappy free site host. That way we can all covertly wipe our collective hands of it and forget that it ever happened. And never speak of it again. ;)

Nah actually I vote keep it.... for humour/shock/other value.

=D

Hmmmmm... sub-forum... interesting idea...

Technically it's possible, but is it something we really want to do? Basically what it would amount to is creating an Aus SLR - which would probably draw the Aus users away from the real SLR.

im not voting, i think its quite ludicrous and laughable how much effort kitty has to put into making a poll to keep everyone happy.

"dont change it" ??? the whole premise of this poll is to CHANGE the singles thread.

this issue just goes to show, give anyone too much say or an illusion of control and everyone wants in, over something that is totally not important in the bigger scheme of bluelight.

some of u are a fucking joke :p

makes me wish bluelight was a dictatorship, or in the case of aus social, a triumvirate =D

*shrugs*

I'm not voting because I don't think it should change.

That being said, I appreciate the effort that kitty has put in. Hoorah kittah.

Perhaps next time it would be better for the mods to make a decision, then ask for feedback. Rather than give people all the options.

If there's a backlash to the decision, suggest an alternative. If people agree with it, the decision has already been made.

I'm not trying to tell you guys what to do, just suggesting ways we can avoid this sort of issue again.

Without any disrepect to you kitty, and the time that you've put into allowing us all to have a say.....can I ask vurt and babu what you both think should happen to the singles thread? It's important for us to know that all the mods agree on the direction that it should take. If three of you think the same, then it's a convincing argument that the decision will be in the best interests of the forum.

I don't understand why you guys are bothering with a poll anyways. It seems to me that the singles thread is going to change regardless of what the poll says.

Lets not continue this charade of a so called 'democracy' and just let the mods make the change regardless of what the rest of us think...

Miss Apple is right, u guys didnt tell us that u were closing down for the weekend when u updated to the new bluelight.... why should it matter what we think... its not like we cant just adapt... shit just do what u want with it.

i can feel another poll coming on.

Apple's you're right - I don't know why I thought anybody could ever hope to have a say in what happens in this forum. Executive decisions are a much better way to go. I'll try to remember that in the future *sigh* (btw this for once is not me being sarcastic, I’m really surprised at the way this has turned out.)

Jesus christ people. Doesn't anybody actually read? Do I have to repeat myself ad nauseam?

The poll is a direct result from user feedback. It’s a reaction to the complaints that we’ve always received about the singles thread.

In answer to the whinging

• The thread will not die, it’s stupid to believe it will die when 3/4 of the active posters in this forum don’t want it to die, it is naive to believe that if we kill the thread it will not pop up again in some way shape or form and become as much of a nuisance as this one.
  • The thread will not stay as is; it alienates the other 1/4 of the forum from participating in what could be great discussion merely because it’s in the singles thread.
    [/list=a]
    Backo said:
    Miss Apple is right, u guys didnt tell us that u were closing down for the weekend when u updated to the new bluelight.... why should it matter what we think... its not like we cant just adapt... shit just do what u want with it.

i can feel another poll coming on.
    Shock horror you're whinging about an upgrade that everyone knew was coming, something that you were all asked for feedback about, something that actually makes the site work better for you? You poor baby.

nezo said:
    I don't understand why you guys are bothering with a poll anyways. It seems to me that the singles thread is going to change regardless of what the poll says.

Lets not continue this charade of a so called 'democracy' and just let the mods make the change regardless of what the rest of us think...
    Of course it’s going to change – do you see an option to leave it as is?

Oopsz said:
    1) BL is not, nor has it ever been, a democracy
    True, yet it’s not unfair to ask people what they want done with it and give them some choice in the manner. I actually believed people here would be interested in making positive change and having some say in the way the forum was run. I was mistaken.

Dammit I'm meant to be on holidays what on earth am I doing getting annoyed over this :\

haha dude, seriously u misunderstand me... i was simply saying that u guys did a great job by just changing the site, and we just adapted to it...

You have done a wonderful job and I thankyou.=D

so change it and deal with the backlash i doubt will occur later~.

Last edited:
nezp[/i] [b] It seems to me that the singles thread is going to change regardless of what the poll says.[/b][/quote] i thought the discussion was to find out how we can improve the singles thread. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by miss apple said:
Without any disrepect to you kitty, and the time that you've put into allowing us all to have a say.....can I ask vurt and babu
what you both think should happen to the singles thread? It's important for us to know that all the mods agree on the direction that it should take. If three of you think the same, then it's a convincing argument that the decision will be in the best interests of the forum.

the singles thread is harmless. at the moment in its current incarnation, hardly any time is required to moderate it.

but the signal to noise ratio is rather appaling in its current incarnation. i fail to see why we should keep it as it is, perhaps those of u who prefer so can say why.

rather than split good discussions into seperate threads, why not keep the singles thread as a generic a/s/l or for people to announce their inane status in single/couplehood. and seperate threads with appropriate thread titles can be started for a more focussed discussion.

that's my suggestion.

what i dont understand is, we are trying to give everyone a chance to decide what they wanna do with the singels thread to improve it. how is staying as it is, considered an improvement?

it takes three polls and a decision is not made, instead, people bitch about the choices in the polls.

bluelight upgrades its software over the weekend.

we have a slew of complaints regarding the spacing between posts (how fucking pedantic is that?), we have a fuss kicked up over avatars.

perhaps everything in "bluelight world" should just be left to stagnate. at least the status quo is maintained and no one can bitch about anything, that hasnt been bitched about already.

so what the fuck is wrong with you people.

this has been a most illuminating and disappointing couple of weeks.

so where's the kill it option again? and get rid of the white space...

Jesus Christ theres more whinging in this thread than the singles thread itself.

I am shocked at the amount of bitching that one thread can cause.

I really appreciate the effort Kitty has gone to to try to open some constructive discussion into the topic and give everyone who reads and contributes to the thread a place to have a say in how they feel the thread should evolve. She's been extremely patient and accommodating with responses and has put up with everyone else's bitch about how their opinion should be taken first and foremost over everyone else's. I am certain tho, that she would have put up with a whole lot more whinging if she had just decided to close the thread coz she didn't really enjoy the content. Bluelight may not be a democracy, but they have always promoted active discussion on topics.

Theres a whole pile of threads in Aus Social that I couldn't care less about or don't like. I don't whinge about how much I hate any of the threads, I just dont read them. If there is active discussion deemed satisfactory by the moderators, then there is no reason to close a thread, regardless of how many people don't like the thread itself. Why should it be any different in this situation? The only difference between this thread and every other thread that is active in Aus Social is that it's been around for longer. So what? That reason is as stupid as almost every other reason I have heard in relation to why this thread should be closed.

Unfortunately, not everyone is going to be pleased with the outcome. Thats how things happen. I think, however, that once changes are introduced to the thread, many people might find that the changes made aren't all that bad. You may not like the options given, but your best bet would be to vote on an option that you'd most prefer. At least then you wont end up stuck with changes that are completely different to what you'd prefer. If you don't vote then please don't bother whinging about it once changes are made.

stace.