• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

History Channel - Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way

AfterGlow

Bluelighter
Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way is an excellent 4 part series coming up on The History Channel the week of April 8-11. They do a good job of presenting the historical facts and events in an unbiased manner. It's definately worth recording.

Tues, April 08 9-10PM
Opium, Morphine and Heroin

Weds, April 09 9-10PM
Cocaine

Thurs, April 10 9-10PM
Marijuana and Amphetamines

Fri, April 11 9-10PM
LSD, Ecstasy and the Raves

There has been a "drug culture" since the dawn of civilization. Sumerian cuneiform tablets from 3000 BC show a poppy harvest, as do ancient Egyptian scripts and Greek statues adorned with poppy crowns. Far more recently, Freud sung the praises of cocaine, which was included in the original recipe for Coca-Cola. But since the industrial revolution, drug use has changed dramatically, and society's response to this--particularly in America--has been to demonize users and make drugs illegal.

HOOKED explores the world of illegal drugs, meeting with pharmacologists and scientists to learn exactly what effect they have on us and exploring the social and legislative changes that have transformed (and, some would argue, created) the drug culture of the 20th century. Outspoken advocates on both sides of the "war on drugs" illuminate this polarizing issue, and fascinating accounts and artifacts illustrate the role of drugs throughout history.

Last edited:
cool shit, ill make sure to watch it! i hope its interesting and i cant wait to see what they have say about drugs!

oh SURE they put LSD and E on a friday. someone make sure to give a detailed recap of the show for me... :-/

^^^ That's the BEST one!!! You can't miss it.

They're all repeated the following weekend. Here's the schedule:

Sunday , April 13 3:00 PM-4:00 PM
Opium, Morphine and Heroin

Sunday , April 13 4:00 PM-5:00 PM
Cocaine

Sunday , April 13 5:00 PM-6:00 PM
Marijuana and Amphetamines

Sunday , April 13 6:00 PM-7:00 PM
LSD, Ecstasy and the Raves

doesnt matter now, im taking an antibiotic to get rid of a NAAAAAASTY bacterial infection i have in my throat (that i indirectly got through drinking hehehe) and i cant go out and drink on friday :(. So i might stay in and wathc that! woo!

good excuse to stay in, load up on Tussin, and watch TV. We'll be lookin for your review Friday night.

This documentary kicks ass; I've seen all four parts. Even if you know a lot about the social history of drugs, like myself, I guarantee you'll learn a thing or two. I highly recommend it.

Also on the History Channel next week....

Thursday, April 10 8 - 9pm ET/PT
Friday, April 11 12 - 1am ET/PT

Ancient Drugs

Since mankind's beginnings, and in all civilizations, we have found ways to alter our everyday consciousness in search of a greater reality. To this end, we have indulged in many frightening and often toxic substances in many different rituals. We'll look for answers in history as to why we take mind-altering trips off the well-trod path.

Yo, seriously

i REALLY want somone to tape this for me, i'd be willing to pay for the tapes and shipping, and am willing to trade mix cd's or whatever for your trouble.

please contact me [email protected]

i can get a whole letter grade up in my college class by handing in two of these, i will be taping these w/o commercials and can probably plug you up......

Whos gunna be around friday at 9pm to watch the history of psychadelics? all the high-ons with be doing them. :p

I love the phrase "the raves"...

Makes it seem like a disease..."She has 'the AIDS'"

Sorry, gave me a chuckle...

~*Doni*~

i saw the cocaine one...learned some stuff...

gonna watch the final one tomorrow night (one i really care bout hehe) before i go out drinking :D ill put a review up when i get home if youll wanna read it :D