• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids how to catch oxycodone addiction early?

nancy145

Bluelighter
im gonna start using oxy a lot and im making a scheduale for when to use to avoid addiction and wanna know how to see when your starting to get addicted while you can still easily quit or use less before its too late. would there be any obvious signs of slight addiction? any withdrawl symptoms that would mean im hooked i can look for before they're too much to handle?

EDIT:after reading the replies,ive decided to not use opiods. thanks for the advice,changed my life really.

Last edited:
The compulsive urge to take more when you're off it. Thinking about it when you're sober. Notable physical excitement at the prospect of taking the drug. Priorities changing to put the drug at the top.

Answer: you don't. By the time you see signs of addiction, you already are.
It's a line that you don't know where it is until you pass it.
I suppose what you could do is take it once a week and never increase your use. But if you like it, and it's available, you'll find an excuse to increase your use

This is impossible on a long enough timeline taking oxy a psychological dependence will set in and when u realize it,its too late..the more u worry about addiction the more it turns into a self fulfilling prophecy..in addiction u are battling yourself not the pills..u will not have the same thought proccess as u do now once u get into opiates..they take over ur pleasure seeking parts of your brain.

if u think u can catch an addiction early i dont think u fully understand addiction and how it works.which is not a shot at u its just u cant fully understand it until u are knee deep in the shit

What everyone else said. Plus how you posted how you plan on taking it a lot. Be careful, and stay safe. Maybe quit while you're ahead? That's what I did and I'm damn lucky I didn't get addicted to pharm opiates even though a lot of my peers, friends, and my ex did.

Last edited:
U said in your other post in pot discussion that u are depressed..i HIGHLY suggest u cease all opiates if u are depressed that is playing with a loaded gun.

im gonna start using oxy a lot and im making a scheduale for when to use to avoid addiction and wanna know how to see when your starting to get addicted while you can still easily quit or use less before its too late. would there be any obvious signs of slight addiction? any withdrawl symptoms that would mean im hooked i can look for before they're too much to handle?

dude, I hate to say it, but you have NO CHANCE at beating addiction. if you truly plan to take oxy A LOT, like you just said, but plan to take certain time/days off to prevent addiction, you cannot be MORE WRONG! not sure how old you are but I once thought the same way, but here I am 14yrs later on Suboxone and wishing I never thought the way I did.

save your life, and stay away.

You appear to be an addict. If you continue to take them, physical addiction is inevitable. Please, think long and hard about this.. Your life will be destroyed, is this worth it? NO, it is not.. Make the right decision. God bless and be safe.

You appear to be an addict. If you continue to take them, physical addiction is inevitable. Please, think long and hard about this.. Your life will be destroyed, is this worth it? NO, it is not.. Make the right decision. God bless and be safe.

BINGO!

I've been an ADDICT since I was 18 and I am 32 now. many times I've gotten somewhat clean, the longest was 3-4yrs but 2 of those years I was in jail. so even after going to jail due to drugs, having many issues, due to drugs, I THOUGHT I could beat addiction, and only take a a HALF PERC 30's a COUPLE DAYS A WEEK TOPS! I went to jail for distribution of OXY 80's back in 02, when the 80's were the "good" ones. I thought I learned my lesson and stayed away from drugs/opiates for many, many years, but I eventually thought I had it ALL BEAT, and that a few days a week TOPS! thats it, just a few days a week, its not bad, right? esp. if I am only doing 1/3 of a 30MG pill. that 1/3 of a pill, 1 fucking pills will last me ALL WEEK, right? its all too simple. ill never get sick, ill spend 20-35 bucks a week, TOPS.. and ill enjoy my work day cuz percs are fun and made me work harder. only good can come of this, of course.

well, that was when I was 25, I am now 32 and have been a full blown heroin addict for the last 7 years. my veins are no where to be found, although, my arms are starting to heal a BIT since I have been "clean" (in parenthesis cuz I use bupe) for a little over a month now. I have picked up 2 DUI's in the past 7 years; I've ran myself into insane debt and filed bankruptcy, I've OD'd numerous times, many where I have woken up in the hospital, many where I have woken up 12hrs later on my floor w/o a clue in the world. I was lucky to get a good job in software sales considering my background and made good money, but I lost that 2 years ago cuz I would nod out at the desk, I would drop pins in the corporate bathrooms, I would be late, take off easily, 2 hour lunch instead of 1, etc. I've also come to find out I had a brain tumor/cancer when I was 30, so I used that as an additional excuse to use MORE! they scripted me dilaudid after my brain surgery and I went through my Dr's scripts in 3 days, but it was a 30 day supply w/ 3 refills. he knew I was a junkie cuz I had to tell them cuz it took a lot more to KNOCK ME OUT and also keep me OUT OF PAIN WHILE IN THE HOSPITAL! the minute I left THAT DAY I SHOT DILAUDID. a week later I was back to shooting grams upon grams of dope, spending money that I made on a 1099 to get it; so I NEVER PAID TAXES!

dude, I barely go into many of my others problems, but there is a quick overview of the person I once thought could handle taking opiates occasionally, without a worry in the world. well, they ruined my life, my families lives, ex GF's life, friends lives, etc. of course, it ruined my life but it hurts me more knowing that so many others were hurt a long the way.

I have only been "clean" a month, and this is the longest I've been away from dope for in years and years, and truly feel I am done, but again, you NEVER FUCKING KNOW, so I will NOT SAY I AM DONE, but I am clean for another day.

again, just REMEMBER, we've ALL SAID IT BEFORE, thinking we had it beat, that it would NEVER BE A PROBLEM, a FEW DAYS A WEEK TOPS, thats it. that we'd never do dope, we'd never use a needle, we'd never OD, never have any serious issues. dude, my life has been ruined time and time again.

Nancy, you're asking the same question again from the other day... take BostonBrownTown's story. I'm fairly new to BL and thought I could hold it to a "schedule". I wanted to limit to the weekends, 1-2 blues for the weekend. Then it was every weekend night... tolerance building. I'm now on a break and been 2 weeks. The more I read these types of posts and see stories, the more I don't ever want to go back. I read the stories and I think... it'll never be me. Who knows.... Hell just in typing this post, I've somehow rationalized that I'll try it again My "schedule" didn't work and I am trying hard not to go back... Atleast the $$ is making it easier for me to say no

I don't think catching an addiction "early" is possible. Addictions and addictive personalities have a bit of inevitability about them. It's going to run its course.

Not to say you shouldn't try, trying to quit is probably the first sign that you are ready to jump off the train. You're clearly not there yet.

Exceeding your daily dosage...that's #1 sign

Withdrawal symptoms...watery eyes, runny nose, leg aches, upset stomach, etc....that's your 2nd sign.

If u like it... Wanna get higher or take more.. Find yourself thinking about it... Etc it's not easy really

Take 1 day a week off of oxy first. If you can't make it through 1 day there is a problem. If you can, then try to always take 1 day a week off. Use that day to reach out to family, old friends, pay some bills, make life plans, watch a movie, help someone with a phone call. It'll be there tomorrow and you know it. Everyone needs 1 or 2 days a week without chemicals.

If you're making this thread, chances are you have passed your chance to catch your addiction "early", so you best catch it while you still can before it's too late... Don't tempt fate.

Ya, thought I could do it also..Started of with 10mg Lortabs and Methadone(a jump there eh?,lol) would go get 20 Lortabs for the week and seperate my days, then money ran low so couldn't do that so would get a couple 40mg wafers for the week(taking a piece of one here and there during the week, and on weekends taking 25-30mg on the weekend, although they didn't have the full blown euphoria of Lortabs, I enjoyed the long lasting subtle buzz). Problem was days I didn't use and had it sitting around thats all I could think about. Setting up a schedule will not work, you will start to break your on rules you set up to begin with. Fast foward, got on pods and still tryed to do the few days a week thing, miserable on days without, but ended up getting a physical habbit with those anyway using 4/5 days a week due to the long half life it has like done' and Subs. Started snorting roxis, decied to bang a dillie, then bang roxis and Morphine. Now on Subs going on two years...setting up a schedule so you don't get addidcted, IMO, means you are already addicted, just not physically. Sooo, don't set up a schedule, best way to not get a habbit is to not set up a plan(if your dead set on doing them) and just do them when they pop up.

I bet 99% of people posting in here tried to use some form of your "strategy", that they could stop whenever they wanted just like that.... This 'strategy' is actually more like Famous Last Words....

AKA the rapid descent into addiction from only on the weekends to every 2 hours and it still not being enough, a hostage in your own cage that you built with your own choices. There is no early warning system for opioid addiction, by the time you have a problem, you'll know that you missed your chance to not make the worst decision of your fucking life and then you'll be here thinking exactly what siq said... "good luck with that buddy."