• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

F&T's top 100 romance movies

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
hey! let's make a dreamy, passionate list of the hundred greatest romance movies. in the same vein as F&T's top 100 horror movies and F&T's top 100 science-fiction films.

so you just number the title you are contributing, counting down from a hundred. can't go out of order. and then you add anything else you want. poster art. why you think it deserves its rank on the list. a screenshot or gif from your favorite scene. nothing more at all. or whatever else.

for the genre that keeps film worthwhile ...

100. Punch-Drunk Love

because it epitomizes the sad, beautiful quality that film-goers so often seek.

tumblr_mu46lmMQUo1s3mh3to2_500.gif

tumblr_nn8u920DzJ1u9yecko1_540.jpg

tumblr_n1rcleHXVT1ttlnkzo1_500.gif

tumblr_m9evklsYYm1r0apv4o1_250.gif

and then #99 is next ...

i haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love, gotta fix that.

99. 37°2 le matin aka (Betty Blue)

beautiful film. a little bit of mental instability and love pushing one to extremes and over the edge. great performance by beatrice dalle in her first acting role. one of those films that i adore but can't watch just anytime cause of the emotional toll it takes on me.

+ a really good soundtrack...

98. Drive

Bryan%20Cranston,%20Drive%20Movie.jpg

Drive-2011-007.jpg

images

Great cast, and great tension between the two mains. Its like a true love story that wasn't.

Amazing soundtrack. Made me take a listen to artists I never knew existed, and spawned my love for retro 80s vibes.

Last edited:
97. Natural Born Killers

nautralbornkillers-splsh.jpg

An awesome commentary on the ridiculousness of mass media in modern society set to a twisted homicidal love story. For the 90s, this movie was absolutely in a league of its own when it comes to making a watchable movie with a completely surreal plot.

96. the fifth element

the_fifth_element_by_alamoscout6-d7bnybd.jpg

"In the colorful future, a cab driver unwittingly becomes the central figure in the search for a legendary cosmic weapon to keep Evil and Mr Zorg at bay."

amazing scenes, amazing production design, amazing costumes and make-up, epic plot. bruce willis blows shit up and saves the world. and, the whole time, you never realised you were watching a love story.

in my top 5 films of all time.

alasdair

Last edited:
Anyone but hydro has to post Lost in Translation or I'll shut this mother effer down!!

95. Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo and Juliet

latest

Probably my favorite "Romance" movie of all time. A unique modern adaption of such a classic. I love every little detail of this movie, from the entire dialogue that stays true to original Shakespeare in a modern urban setting to their guns being appropriately renamed as "Swords" and a shotgun named a "Longsword."

And I mean come on, how could the baby face of such a young Leo DiCaprio and such a young fragile Claire Danes not make your heart and pants tingly?

94. The film In Your Eyes was rather lame but Zoe Kazan was excellent.

Two seemingly unconnected souls from different corners of the United States make a telepathic bond that allows them to see, hear and feel the others experiences, creating a bond that apparently can't be broken.

Should still be on netfilx

U9pVm8l.jpg

Last edited:
93. The Count of Monte Cristo

I thought Jim Caviezel was the freaking man in this movie and there is a good love story if youre into that. based off a book, most good movies are now that I think about it

Jim Caviezel, just escapes out of prison and he's gotta knife fight for his life. manages to spare a life at the same time. he's basically a fuggin boss in this movie

92. The Duke of Burgundy

one of the most pretty films i've seen in recent years. a tale of lepidoptery and lesbian sadomasochism. just a really fascinating look at a unique relationship. i was glad to see it wasn't really... graphic, not that im against that because another french film that was very will make this list. the way certain scenes were shot, u might hear sounds adds so much to the atmosphere . now that i think about was there any male characters ? not that i recall... all females that study butterflys in this beautiful surreal world...

tumblr_nncz86KR6g1r9kvdfo10_1280.png

“Cynthia. Cynthia. This is all I have ever dreamed about.”

91.Batteries Not Included

Not classified as a romance film but after watching the season finale of the show "person of interest" last night I had a recollection of watching this when I was young.
If you have never seen it I'll let you judge for yourself whether or not it could be considered romantic.

90. memento
okay sure, the whole movie the woman is dead (no spoiler), but he doesn't know it as he wakes up every morning. what is more romantic than such eternal love that turns a man into a killing machine?
memento-4.jpg

89. Me and You and Everyone We Know

'Me and You and Everyone We Know' is a poetic and penetrating observation of how people struggle to connect with one another in an isolating and contemporary world. Christine Jesperson is a lonely artist and "Eldercab" driver who uses her fantastical artistic visions to draw her aspirations and objects of desire closer to her. Richard Swersey, a newly single shoe salesman and father of two boys, is prepared for amazing things to happen. But when he meets the captivating Christine, he panics. Life is not so oblique for Richard's six-year-old Robby, who is having a risqué Internet romance with a stranger, and his fourteen-year-old brother Peter who becomes the guinea pig for neighborhood girls -- practicing for their future of romance and marriage.

LgxWQSp.jpg

88. Loves of a Blonde (Lásky jedné plavovlásky)

tumblr_nxxz4aGGx91u9yecko1_500.jpg

(polish-release poster by hanna bodnar)

soft, sad, beautiful. a fine example of czech new wave. contains solid feminist commentary without comprising its narrative for essay. simple, pleasing cinematography. a captivating lead actress worthy of a follow-able filmography -- though i haven't seen her in anything else. the movie is a series of badass, un-rushed, dialogue driven scenes strung together in a way that helped lay the path for the likes of tarantino. creating contrast for the wordless final shot. can't remember if it got a tear from me, but it deserved one.

the bedroom scene is also mentionable. i've read it was the first "sex scene" in czech film history.

tumblr_nxxd4jZ0Gk1u9yecko1_500.gif

opening credits are jammin' ...

Betty Blue is now on my list, Joe. i imagine you will be a big fan of Punch-Drunk Love.

Anyone but hydro has to post Lost in Translation or I'll shut this mother effer down!!
everyone's probably saving it for #1.

Its like a true love story that wasn't.
word.

Last edited:
i'm honestly torn as fuck as to which catherine breillat film i'm going to put into this list.

86. Carol

ticks all the right boxes. i see the 1950s with rose-colored glasses. i know if my mom saw this she would say it reminded her of growing up during that time. so i just take it for what it is, beautifully crafted 50s aesthetic, rooney mara lookin like audrey hepburn, and a heart achingly beautiful score...

therese plays this record

Would mademoiselle be so kind as to apply at the pulse points only?

tumblr_nzyqhvJR1Z1v2i51to1_250.gif
tumblr_nzyqhvJR1Z1v2i51to2_250.gif

tumblr_nzyqhvJR1Z1v2i51to3_250.gif
tumblr_nzyqhvJR1Z1v2i51to4_250.gif