Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What are Utopia parties like????

AlexxRed

Bluelighter
Hi all,

I'm from melbourne and myself and a bunch of friends want to come up to sydney for a big event. We are melbourne ravers...love hard trance and were thinking of the up and comming Utopia party on the Anzac weekend. Whats the general opinion/thoughts on the Utopia parties? What are they like? Any good??

Cheers

Well, It depends... most of the bluelighters i know from sydney actively dispise powerhouse productions for consistently putting on naff events... I myself vowed never to go to one again after utopia nye 2001, but i bend that rule for events at the superdome because the venue is just spectacular.

Generally speaking powerhouse put on the biggest parties but theyre rarely the best ones to go to, someone more local than me can probably give you advice on something better.

I always find there is a distinct lack of 'vibe' or atmosphere at utopia parties

However production wise they are pretty special, big sound big lazers big visuals big arenas

Yet non of them seem to hold a special place in my event memories book

I've been to many Powerhouse Production events, and I think they kind of swing back and forth from great events to shabby ones, when they'll panic, and put on a great one again.

Generally the average age ranges are 15 - mid 20s, but I've seen 13 year olds and I've seen people in their 50s. At the last couple of events I've cringed at the amount of 14, 15, 16 year olds with either bad attitudes or a lot of drugs - but this is fine if youre around that age ;)

Musicwise, I find myself settled in the main arena usually, to find a generic mix of trance, hard trance, NRG, hardhouse, hardcore and happy hard. The hardcore room is usually a mix of hardcore, happy hardcore, and gabba, though I don't go in there often. I can't really comment on the breaks room as I don't go in there.

Basically, if youre into events with a large all-ages crowd, musical styles ranging from breaks to happy hard, and generally average features (the sound is usually average, occasionally the lasers are great but usually average, usual rides etc) then this is the sort of event for you.

I find that I usually enjoy myself at Utopia's and other Powerhouse events, despite there sometimes being setbacks. Yet, if you're the sort of person who enjoys a small event/small crowd, or an older crowd you may want to look elsewhere :)

I think its just as trendy to pay out power house events as it is trendy for 14-15yr olds to be going to raves and taking e (this is a major reason why we get so many all age events).

Honestly power house wouldnt be putting on so many events if no one attended them. and dont get me wrong as much as we pay out utopia most of us will be at the next one (with the exception of nye).

if you going to come up and experience one of our lovely utopias make sure its a superdome event. It in my opinion is sydneys best venue.

if you want a 18+ event either go to a club or come up in may for transmission which unfortunatly is our only event for the over 18s thats not held in a night club. (well one of the very few events for the over 18s).

Hehehe RR said naff hehehe

Sorry couldn't resist.

Utopia can be a good event *hands up who remembers September Utopia 2001* (actually scratch that. I doubt any of us remember much ;) but damn it was a good party :) and is still the most talked about wreckovery=D)

Although after Utopia NYE 2001/2002 @ Wonderland I fully intended to boycott as many powerhouse events as possible (if not all of their future events), then I moved and it has made no difference... If a big event is on in Sydney a better event is on in Melbourne or in Brisbane so powerhouse can just wither away.

If you go all the way to Sydney for Utopia make sure it's at the superdome, most of the people I know in Sydney refuse to go to Utopia's unless they are held at the superdome.

IMFHO Utopia's are alright if you like seeing little kiddies rolling off their heads and show ponies running around... go with a big group of friends, planning to make a laugh out of the night. It's always the people around you who make the event anyway.

*raises hand*

That Utopia was amazing!!! I have very fond memories of that party, and my first rave was Utopia in May of 2001 at the Superdome which was also very good.

I remember lots of hard banging anthems, a really good energetic vibe, it definitely had a large-scale feel, but the vibe was a lot more consistent than say a Two Tribes party.

I believe that Powerhouse are putting on a Melbourne party some time soon, I got an email about it...

ive never been to a utopia...actually ive only been to one 'rave' but i would like to go to the next one cos i would really like to see public domain but tickets are so expensive :(

i managed to dig up these photos after ages of searching through old threads...i have a bunch mor ephotos aswell...but i cant figure out how to attatch multiple files...if someone knows can they let me know...these were oriangally posted by mirage sometime ago in a utopia thread...i chose my favourite pic...if this doesnt get u pumped i dont know what would...

search option works real well...searched utopia and got 5pages of threads to search through! 8)

okies after a long day spent tryin to do this...the easyest way was to link you guys to my photo page...

these are specific utopia lights and lazer photos...i have one of em as my wall paper =D

http://au.photos.yahoo.com/bc/my_angels_wings2002/lst?.dir=/

enjoy peoples =D :D =D :D =D :D =D :D

Last edited:
I'll step in and say FUCK SUPERDOME! Well, not really, but in my opinion, it's overrated.

Sure, when I stood at the top of the stairs to the Main arena for the first time, I agreed with what i'd heard - it's a spectacular arena....but I was pretty much over it by the time I reach the bottom of the stairs (note: lasers and lights weren't out in full force at the time). Anyway, if you're not the main arena type, and you like your Hardcore, it's the most annoying venue in Sydney. If you manage to find the Hardcore arena, you realise it's at least a 5 min journey to any toilet/tap. If you're in the middle of an awesome set and you're dying of thirst, you have to miss about 15 mins of the set. This goes for the outdoor Chillout area as well, which is slightly further than the Hardcore arena. It's just frustrating.

I'll admit, that's my only complaint about the Superdome, though. It'd be the ultimate venue for a one or two arena event, I say.

I MUCH prefer Utopias to be held at the Dome, at the Showgrounds. That's where the September 2001 event was, which happened to be my first Utopia, and although not my favourite, it was definitely a good night. There are no annoying stairs to climb, all the arenas are lined up side by side in massive warehouses and the outdoor chillout (which has grass, something Superdome chillout lacks) runs the length of the venue. Oh, and toilets galore.

Now, production wise, Utopias are fairly good. I disagree with melancholic saying the sound is usually average, I think the sound is always at least "good" - it's always fucking loud, just not always crystal clear. The lasers, I think, could be much better. I don't think i've ever seen full colour lasers used. Events such as Thrillseeka use full colour, and they shat on any i've seen at a Utopia. Though, the lights they set up in the Supderome Main are fucking awesome and unprecendented in my experience. The visual screens at Utopias are pretty cool, not that I care much for what they show, but they do add extra class to the event.

I won't comment on the music, except for saying if you like Hardcore, miss this upcoming event, because I think there's only two actual Hardcore DJs on the lineup. It should be called the "Hard Dance" arena, like i've heard they call such arenas in England.

Even though I had a reasonably good night at NYE 2001/02 Utopia, I do agree that it was a very poor joint-effort by Powerhouse and Wonderland. The ridiculous wait to get in (nearly 2 hours), the over frisky security guards, the cost of bottled water and the dirty Main arena were the biggest complaints, I think. They learnt a lesson though, as i've noticed significant improvements and really enjoyed every Utopia afterwards, bar the October one. This upcoming one, will most likely be the first Utopia i've missed since my first. The lineup just doesn't tickle my fancy.

Damn, I didn't expect my reply to be this long.

Hi... from what I heard Powerhouse are putting a Utopia on Melbourne soon.

I personally hate Utopias... the Superdome is a wicked venue though.

OracleEvents, just posted something about the utopia in melb. Its actually on before the Sydney one!

chris liberator and commander tom are playing there, how could it not be good!? =D

EJ said:
I'll step in and say FUCK SUPERDOME! Well, not really, but in my opinion, it's overrated.
<snip>
I MUCH prefer Utopias to be held at the Dome, at the Showgrounds. That's where the September 2001 event was
<snip>

Are you deaf> the acoustic at The Dome are possibly the worst Ive ever heard for an even where the stage isnt in in the middle of the room... the high domed ceiling bounces sound around so badly that unless youre standing right in the middle of the room you get out of phase echos that fuck up the entire thing.#

Yeah I had a good night at Utopia 9/01, but honestly the wreckovery was better ;), and that aside, the 5/01 utopia @ the superdome (my first utopia) remains to this day possibly the best production ive ever been to.

I'll agree with whats been said before, utopia seems to have its ups and downs, but regardless, theres still better stuff to go to in sydney.

RobertRollie said:
Are you deaf> the acoustic at The Dome are possibly the worst Ive ever heard for an even where the stage isnt in in the middle of the room... the high domed ceiling bounces sound around so badly that unless youre standing right in the middle of the room you get out of phase echos that fuck up the entire thing.#
Are you dyslexic? I think I clearly indicate that I don't spend much, if any, time in the Main.

Utopia's are always a good night if you don't mind being surrounded by kids on drugs. Like PsychoKitten said take a big group of friends with you who you know you will have a good time with and you won't even notice them. The music between the rooms is quite diverse so there is usually something for everyone.

If you go out with the intention of having fun you will.

I haven't been to a Utopia since Sept 01 and doubt i will go to another one (although the April one is kind of tempting me) but i've always had a great night at everyone i've been to. They are certainly an experience.

Have a mad night ;)