• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Discovered something interesting with my poppy seed tea...

kurups

Bluelighter
So SWIM put about a large mason jar (washed twice, in half jar increments [twice each]) worth of poppy seed mixed water into a pot and put it onto a simmering heat for a few (maybe 3 or 4) hours til it reduced yo about 20-25% of the total volume. Typically at this point SWIM would take the caked residue on the side and mix it back into the liquid, but this time SWIM decided to scrape it off with a knife and let it dry.

SWIM then took this dried residue and put it in SWIMs bubbler and proceeded to smoke it. To SWIMs surprise... it really was a potent amount of alkaloids and SWIM couldn't believe it. I mean it wasn't a RIDICULOUS amount by any means but certainly enough for a lil buzz (more than the tea ever gave thats for sure, due to tolerance) - so SWIM could only imagine what it would do to an opioid intolerant individual.

Anyways is this something the poppy seed using population already know about ? Cause it sure was a surprise to SWIM that it actually worked.

Last edited:
You made flake opium. It usually involves the pods, but works okay with the seeds as well. Be warned that the end product is schedule I in the US and under tight jurisdiction in most countries and can land you a severe sentence if discovered.

You made flake opium. It usually involves the pods, but works okay with the seeds as well. Be warned that the end product is schedule I in the US and under tight jurisdiction in most countries and can land you a severe sentence if discovered.

Really?? Thats interesting... A: How would they ever know you were doing this and B: What if someone did it accidentally like SWIM initially did?

Lastly do you know anything about the application of heat to the product? Some people say anything over 170F ruins it but theres no scientific evidence IVE found supporting this

Don't bother with "SWIM".

Question A: I never thought I'd get caught doing what I used to do, and I did. It just happens, man. Something left out, some residue on the table, who knows. It is a dangerous practice. Gauge the risks and rewards and make a decision, but it will garner harsh penalties if you do get caught, even with a personal amount of a schedule I drug, because you manufactured it. You could get 1 - 3 years in prison and a $500+ fine for a first time offense in the US. Like I said, VERY dangerous act to manufacture any scheduled drug, even if there's no intent to distribute.

Question B: They don't give a shit if you tell them it was an "accident". That would never work in court. You "accidentally" produced opium. You know how the war on drugs is, they'll throw you in jail because that's how our society is. It's a shame, but that's how it is.

As far as he application of heat, you'd have to do some research as to the point of destruction of morphine and codeine - I've heard 160F for codeine and 180F for morphine, but this was a long time ago and I might be wrong. I've read that using an electric dryer to continually put a low amount of heat over the product will aid in evaporation, but you would theoretically need a day to get this done - And that goes back to your question of "how would someone know I was doing this?" There would be evidence everywhere.

Be very careful - I personally recommend you cease this practice. If you don't, good luck and make sure you're fucking super cautious.

Don't bother with "SWIM".

Question A: I never thought I'd get caught doing what I used to do, and I did. It just happens, man. Something left out, some residue on the table, who knows. It is a dangerous practice. Gauge the risks and rewards and make a decision, but it will garner harsh penalties if you do get caught, even with a personal amount of a schedule I drug, because you manufactured it. You could get 1 - 3 years in prison and a $500+ fine for a first time offense in the US. Like I said, VERY dangerous act to manufacture any scheduled drug, even if there's no intent to distribute.

Question B: They don't give a shit if you tell them it was an "accident". That would never work in court. You "accidentally" produced opium. You know how the war on drugs is, they'll throw you in jail because that's how our society is. It's a shame, but that's how it is.

As far as he application of heat, you'd have to do some research as to the point of destruction of morphine and codeine - I've heard 160F for codeine and 180F for morphine, but this was a long time ago and I might be wrong. I've read that using an electric dryer to continually put a low amount of heat over the product will aid in evaporation, but you would theoretically need a day to get this done - And that goes back to your question of "how would someone know I was doing this?" There would be evidence everywhere.

Be very careful - I personally recommend you cease this practice. If you don't, good luck and make sure you're fucking super cautious.

lmfao i edited my post after you said all that. Yeah it wasn't THAT much better to be worth it all. The tea itself is not illegal though, correct? Otherwise they could claim any poppyseed teas in water would be a drug... even when fuckin makin damn muffins.

I don't think the tea is illegal, but it might fall under a grey area of the law, since you're using it to get high. I'm not really sure. Like, if you got pulled over and had a water bottle full of "morphine water", that could be used as evidence in a court of law; I'm speculating.

I don't think the tea is illegal, but it might fall under a grey area of the law, since you're using it to get high. I'm not really sure. Like, if you got pulled over and had a water bottle full of "morphine water", that could be used as evidence in a court of law; I'm speculating.

It's an interesting point though!

What if i somehow managed to eat enough poppy seed cake to get high, is the cake then illegal :p (A ridiculous proposition of course, but i just mean hypothetically lol - and rhetorically in fact) just food for thought!

They'd have to eat half a pound of seeds or so, I imagine. That would be pretty hard to do, lol. I did read a report concerning a middle-aged woman eating some sort of poppy seed cake that was almost entirely poppy seeds, those rolls you see with just fat lines of blackness in them, and she went to the hospital when she mistook an opiate high for poisoning. Could be an urban legend, but I thought I read that on pubmed? It's been a while and my brain is like 3% of what it used to be, heh.

Also most poppy seeds that are prepared for food are baked, so I think the heat would kind of "cure" the seeds and destroy most of the opiates on the surface. Just thought of that.

They'd have to eat half a pound of seeds or so, I imagine. That would be pretty hard to do, lol. I did read a report concerning a middle-aged woman eating some sort of poppy seed cake that was almost entirely poppy seeds, those rolls you see with just fat lines of blackness in them, and she went to the hospital when she mistook an opiate high for poisoning. Could be an urban legend, but I thought I read that on pubmed? It's been a while and my brain is like 3% of what it used to be, heh.

Also most poppy seeds that are prepared for food are baked, so I think the heat would kind of "cure" the seeds and destroy most of the opiates on the surface. Just thought of that.

i dunno you could be right depending on the temp - but sometimes i pull the TEA (not the seeds) in the oven at 170 for about half a day to evaporate the water and it doesnt damage the alkaloids

Interesting, maybe it is 180F+, or maybe the alkaloids are protected by the water molecules. I have no idea. I wonder if bakers "clean" the seeds by straining them prior to use? I know that the traditional recipe for poppy seed milk calls for the boiling and grinding of the seeds before they're cooked again, effectively destroying any opiates.