• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Lingering opioid tolerance?

Euphorogenesis

Bluelighter
I have noticed that when i was opioid naive i could take 5 or 10mg of oxy to get pleasent effects nothing like a nod though but still pleasent and definetly noticeable. Then later i got into fentanyl and i developed a pretty serious addiction to it i was doing upwards of 10mg a day for a couple of months. At some point i ran out and was forced to detox. I got clean but i noticed i have some sort of lingering tolerance to opioids of any kind. Where i used to get the good feels from a low dose i now need 25mg of oxy to get the same pleasent effects and around 50-75mg to get my nod on and it's been about a year and a half since i kicked my fentanyl habit. Anyone else experience similar lasting effects from an opioid dependency? I am thinking it has something to do with long-term downregulation of mu-opioid receptors. If anyone knows the concrete science behind this i'd be greatly interested to learn.

Thanks guys.

This is actually pretty normal for heavy/long term opioid (ab)users. Pretty much anyone who goes balls out with a fentanyl addiction will need elevated levels of narcotics for pain relief.

^^^ Ya even after a long abstinence tolerance will still be raised from a previous dependence, especially one to fentanyl nonetheless.

Well that sucks. Am i to understand this is permanent?

Pretty much but from a practical standpoint it doesn't reallyyyy matter that much. Like if you were to really stop for like a year your tolerance would be pretty much nill, it's just that it won't be like your FIRST euphoric experience... that whole chasing the dragon thing.
On top of that you would develop tolerance much more quickly as well, so even that reduced tolerance wouldn't last long.

Still though, not that big of a deal, if you take breaks, you'll still get high, just not the same high as your first couple times, but high nonetheless.

It's essentially permanent, if you wait a year or more your tolerance will go down, but it will never again be at the point where you can take 10mg of hydrocodone and get high.

Tolerance Goes UP PERMENANTLY A TAD BIT BUT THAT IS ALL MENTAL TOLERANCE IF YOU WAIT LONG ENOUGH TO DITCH THE PHYSICAL TOLERANCE!