Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mom of accused Silk Road founder blasts US drug war, surveillance sprawl

«§Harry§»

Greenlighter
Gigaom said:
Mom of accused Silk Road founder blasts US drug war, surveillance sprawl
Jeff John Roberts
Dec. 1, 2014 - 12:01 PM PST

The mother of the man who many believe to be “Dread Pirate Roberts,” the mastermind behind the online criminal marketplace known as Silk Road, has harsh words for how the U.S. government has treated her son.

“He’s a good person, a stellar human being [who is] being smeared as some sort of thug all over the world,” Lyn Ulbricht told an audience in New York, who gathered Monday morning to discuss the so-called Dark Web and the growing scope of online surveillance.

According to Ulbricht, prosecutors have “poisoned the trial” of the Dread Pirate Roberts — who she knows only as her son, Ross — by repeatedly bringing up sensational murder accusations that made headlines when he was arrested, but are not among the actual charges he faces in New York.

Ulbricht’s nightmare began after her son was arrested in a San Francisco library last year, and accused by the FBI of profiting from the Silk Road, a “dark site” where buyers used bitcoin to buy everything from drugs to hit men.

Now, as she struggles to raise money and attention for her son’s defense, the tall and articulate woman has also become an unlikely advocate for ending America’s “war on drugs” and reining in the country’s surveillance practices.

“Before Ross’s arrests, I’d never given the drug war much thought,” Ulbricht said. “If it’s purpose is to expand government power and the prison industrial complex, it’s been a rousing success.”

Ulbricht described meeting other “shattered families” gathered at the prison for a brief weekly visit with loved ones awaiting trial on drug charges, and called the 40-year war on drugs a “national disgrace.”

She added that she does not condone drug use or the activities that took place on Silk Road, but said that the prosecutors’ tactics have made it hard for her son to maintain a presumption of innocence or to raise money for his trial.

While Ross Ulbricht allegedly made a fortune from running the Silk Road, the FBI seized his bitcoins and is in the process of selling them in an auction that could fetch around $20 million.

Ulbricht and her fellow panelist, Runa Sandvik of the Tor Project (a group that produces software that helps people use the internet anonymously), also repeated allegations that the FBI used illegal, warrant-less techniques to hack into the Silk Road’s servers.

Overall, the discussion showed how law enforcement’s attempts to police a borderless online realm is also leading the U.S. government to place an ever-expanding number of activities under its surveillance and criminal law powers.

The discussion was moderated by Alex Winters, who directed the documentary, the Deep Web.

This story was changed at 8pm ET to clarify that claims that Ross Ulbricht is Dread Pirate Roberts are allegations, and have not been proven in court.

https://gigaom.com/2014/12/01/mom-o...under-blasts-us-drug-war-surveillance-sprawl/

does anyone else think its hilarious that the FBI is selling the bitcoins that probabyl will end up at some point being used to purchase drugs again?

Honestly I don't find it funny in the slightest.
most pay for a fuckin like that,
like I said before this man is a revolutionary to the hustle and the lifestyle, unfortunately he's the bill Gates of a very illegal enterprise and will most likely pay the rest of his days to a jail cell.
rather sickening...

I feel for her but this cash an drug locomotive was full blast when he got caught up.

Rest up dread pirates, real og hope some one treatin him right in the can.

I would not want to be a defence lawyer in the United States. It would be way too depressing.

One of the main reasons he's in domuch ttrouble? Because he made a lot of money that the government could not get their grubby hands on. I don't think many people still believe that sell drugs is illegal because they are looking out for the people, it's because they can't tax that shit. And they plan on auctioning the bit coins? Lmao.. greedy

I hope this turns out to be an interesting court case.
Unfortunately I have my doubts the accused will get anything resembling a fair trial.
Still - some pretty fucking unethical tactics employed by the Feds, which has been obvious from the start.

No way that this case will turn out in the kids favor. Many cases are corrupt as shit and I doubt they will let this slide :/