• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The Addictive Effects of Drugs Are Above All Culturally Determined

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
The Addictive Effects of Drugs Are Above All Culturally Determined
Our feelings, even our experiences while drinking and taking drugs are determined mainly by learned expectations—a fact we find impossible to comprehend. As a result, we spread addiction worldwide.

S. Peele | 12/2/14 said:
Allan, 29, had been addicted to heroin for more than a decade. He entered a hospital treatment program in New York. As part of his treatment, he and his fellow residents were taken for acupuncture.

Allan soon began looking forward to these sessions eagerly—“like copping some H,” he thought. And when pierced by the therapist’s needles, he nodded out, as did several of his fellow treatment recipients.

How is it scientifically possible that a man with a long addiction to heroin could experience comparable effects from merely having his skin punctured with a needle?

In fact, we have a body of scientific research establishing phenomena like this. We just ignore it—at our jeopardy.

Culture and reality are two different things

Human beings tend to believe their reality is reality, and routinely confuse subjective experience with objective fact. If people do something a particular way in a given place, adherents of that approach routinely mistake their customs for invariable human necessities.

Consider lip plates, which have been used to adorn women in a number of cultures. We might view the process as gross self-mutilation (unlike botox injections, say, or stilettos that damage women’s feet). But an African woman in a tribe that beautifies themselves this way considers the adornment quite natural, essential even to her femininity, while finding our forms of feminine beautification bizarre.

Americans tend not to reflect on what Africans, or people in any other cultures, think. And this holds doubly true in the arena of intoxicants. We—along with other English-speaking and Nordic countries (which Queens College sociology professor Harry Levine groups together as Temperance cultures)—view alcohol and drugs as substances that control our behavior, or even our very beings.

But that idea doesn’t necessarily travel. In a remarkable cross-cultural research project published in 2001, the European Comparative Alcohol Study (ECAS) found that alcohol-related problems were lowest in Southern Europe and highest in the North—despite the much stricter controls imposed in the North and the lower drinking ages and higher consumption levels in the South.

Drinking problems in Temperance cultures occur because of the greater tendency in these countries to drink in heavy bursts, rather than drinking regularly but moderately. This leads to more accidents, violence, suicide and even cirrhosis in Finland, Norway and Sweden—which consume the least alcohol per capita in Europe—than in France, Italy Portugal, Spain and Greece—countries which consume the most.

Italian psychologist Allaman Allamani explained in the ECAS volume the cultural outlooks underlying these differences:

‘‘In the Northern countries, alcohol has to do with the issue of control and with its opposite—‘discontrol’ or transgression. In the Southern countries, alcoholic beverages—mainly wine—are drunk for their taste and smell, and are perceived as intimately related to food, thus as an integral part of meals and family life and are not connected to the topic of control.”

When it comes to addiction [and almost everything else for that matter - TPD insert], imperialism is alive and well

Despite their poorer performance on drinking health measures, the United States and its colleagues in Scandinavia and other English-speaking nations are intent on imposing their views of alcohol and drugs—and thus their problems—on the world.

The tools we employ for imposing our views of alcoholism, drugs and addiction on others include private enterprise (like pharmaceutical companies marketing drugs to treat mental disorders and addiction, or the Minnesota-model rehabs currently devouring Europe) and research by government agencies (like NIDA and the neuroscientific reductionism of Nora Volkow).

Other primary tools for our psychiatric imperialism are the DSM, US psychiatry’s diagnostic manual, and, more tellingly, the Northern-European centered World Health Organization’s International Classification of Diseases (ICD). The ICD tracks DSM closely, nowhere more so than for mental disorders and substance use and addiction disorders.

We actually have scientific proof that DSM and ICD are culture-bound. A group of World Health Organization epidemiologists investigated the “cross-cultural applicability in international classifications and research on alcohol dependence.” The group’s confident prediction was that the “subjective” criteria (such as loss of control) would vary from culture to culture, but that the “physical” symptoms of addiction (e.g., withdrawal) would not change from place to place.

But their findings, published in 1999, defied their expectations:

“While descriptions of dependence symptoms were quite similar among key informants from sites that share norms around drinking and drunkenness, they varied significantly in comparisons between sites with markedly different drinking cultures.’’ [My emphasis.]

How is that possible?

In cultures like Greece, as Allamani explained, the entire experience of consuming alcohol differs from the experience of drinking in English-speaking and Northern European countries. But the latter countries formulate DSM and ICD. The divergent addiction-related experiences in these different cultures are simply incommensurate with, unrelatable to, one another.

The WHO group concluded:

“Findings on dependence should be interpreted in light of what is known about the drinking cultures and norms of the societies involved. Future nosologies and diagnostic interview schedules should take into account a broad base of cultural experiences in conceptualizing alcohol dependence.”

Too bad the DSM and WHO have done nothing of the sort—and actually the opposite. They simply can’t imagine doing otherwise.

Hypocrisy at the highest level of world health

Perhaps most surprising, WHO and the epidemiologists who made the discovery of the relativity of “physical” symptoms of addiction, as well as conducting the ECAS, happily disregard their own findings. Instead, they spread through their policy recommendations their own biases about mental illness and addictive disorders and treatment.

And how’s that going? Are we eliminating addiction from the face of the earth? The consensus tends in the opposite direction.

Adopting the American Minnesota-model treatment model and neuroscientific claims won’t make the world a better place—although it will make it more like us! Back in 1988, WHO’s leading alcohol epidemiologist (he was a principal investigator in the cross-cultural applicability and ECAS studies), Robin Room, noted:

“In comparing Scotland and the United States, on the one hand, with developing countries like Mexico and Zambia, on the other hand, in the World Health Organization Community Response Study, we were struck with how much more responsibility Mexicans and Zambians gave to family and friends in dealing with alcohol problems, and how ready Americans and Scots were to cede responsibility for these human problems to official agencies or to professionals … Studying the period since 1950 in seven industrialized countries (including California), we were struck by the concomitant growth of treatment provision in all these countries. The provision of treatment, we felt, became a societal alibi for the dismantling of long-standing structures of control of drinking behavior, both formal and informal.”

Yet Room is now the leader of a group of epidemiologists whose stated aim is to impose strict alcohol controls characteristic of Scandinavia and North America on those Southern European countries, like Greece and Italy, that, thanks to culturally embedded social control mechanisms, have lower levels of alcohol problems and alcohol-related mortality!

Room isn’t alone. German-born, now Canadian-residing epidemiologist Jürgen Rehm, for example, travels to Italy to lecture authorities there to raise the drinking age from 16. He does this confidently, even though Nordic and English-speaking countries with higher drinking ages have higher rates of drinking problems and alcohol-related deaths than Italy and other Southern European countries.

Talk about chutzpah!

The Camba people of Bolivia

But Greece and Italy bear far more resemblance to US culture than many of the more far-flung cultures of the world. The extremely divergent views of substances among Indigenous South American peoples can be even more instructive.

In 2010, Malcolm Gladwell described in the New Yorker, under the sub-headline “How much people drink may matter less than how they drink it,” one remarkable example of how other cultures drink in a way American researchers insist biology makes impossible.

Gladwell interviewed anthropologist Dwight Heath, who in the 1950s flew into the most remote region of Bolivia to study the Camba, a mestizo people with indigenous and Spanish ancestors. After returning, while walking on the Yale campus where he attended graduate school, Heath ran into E. M. Jellinek (who created the disease theory of alcoholism) and Mark Keller.

When the two men noticed Dwight’s tan, and discovered he had been in Bolivia, one grabbed him and said, “Well, can you tell me how they drink?”

Here is what Dwight, a good friend of mine, told them: Every weekend Dwight and his wife were invited to a party where everyone sat in a circle and drank an intense variety of alcohol that, when Dwight brought it back to Yale, was measured to be 180 proof. The Yale alcoholism school researchers refused to believe that human beings even consumed the beverage—until Dwight drank a large quantity in their presence.

Everyone in the Camba group drank all weekend, drinking again when they woke up after passing out. Yet, as Dwight noted*:

“There was no social pathology—none. No arguments, no disputes, no sexual aggression, no verbal aggression. There was pleasant conversation or silence. The drinking didn’t interfere with work. It didn’t bring in the police. And there was no alcoholism, either.”

Heroin, too!

Of course, even if you believe culture impacts drinking and reactions to alcohol, down to disinhibitory behavior+, you won’t believe the same principles apply to heroin. Yet, as I noted in The Meaning of Addiction:

“Neither traumatic drug withdrawal nor a person’s craving for a drug is exclusively determined by physiology. Rather, the experience both of a felt need (or craving) for and of withdrawal from an object or involvement engages a person’s expectations, values and self-concept, as well as the person’s sense of alternative opportunities for gratification.”

Two Philadelphia physicians, Arthur Light and Edward Torrance, studied a total of 861 street narcotics addicts at Jefferson Hospital in the early part of the last century. Even though their subjects used far higher doses than most contemporary street users, and had on average been addicted for many years, Light and Torrance were unable to identify any reliable physiological measure of withdrawal.

For example, their subjects had their withdrawal symptoms relieved by “the single prick of a needle” or a “hypodermic injection of sterile water.” The doctors noted:

“…paradoxic as it may seem, we believe that the greater the craving of the addict and the severity of the withdrawal symptoms the better are the chances of substituting a hypodermic injection of sterile water to obtain temporary relief.”

The “worst addict”—the person most insistent on receiving his injection before schedule—was injected with such a saline solution and immediately drifted off into sleep.++

Light and Torrance likened withdrawal to “a university football team just prior to the playing of a so-called ‘important game’…yet, when the whistle starting the game is blown, all fatigue quickly disappears.”

Today, the typical response to Light and Torrance is that, despite their careful clinical and biometric observations of hundreds of men using 20-30 times today’s typical street doses, these benighted physicians completely misunderstood addiction and withdrawal.

Unlike well-informed us! After all, we’ve seen Jamie Foxx undergo withdrawal in the biopic Ray (or, for the older among us, Frank Sinatra in The Man with the Golden Arm).

We have learned via movies, rumor and scare stories to view addiction in a way that rarely occurs in nature—except to the extent that people have come to learn our cultural formula for enacting it.

Does Light and Torrance’s work have therapeutic implications? It did for Allan, whose story we heard at the beginning of this article. Allan, for all of his drug jones, was a reflective person. After noticing the effects of acupuncture, he thought: “You mean I can get the essence of my addictive experience from simply putting needles in my arm without drugs?”

With that awareness, what could he do but quit? Allan has been off heroin longer now than the dozen years he was on it. And when he confides his past addiction to people, and they ask him how he was able to quit, he answers with a sly grin, “acupuncture.”

But the real answer is mindfulness (a process that Ilse Thompson and I investigate and detail in Recover!)

Most people nonetheless refuse to believe that heavy narcotics users like Allan—or Light and Torrance’s subjects—can simply power through withdrawal.

Conclusion

Our cultural assumptions blind us to reality, making us that much more susceptible to addiction. We can never fathom the degree to which cultural and individual beliefs impact our drug experiences. And our ignorance places us in peril, even as we congratulate ourselves on our advanced neuroscientific thinking.

In our drug and alcohol policies and how we define and deal with addiction, we elevate our prejudices into universal laws of nature. By doing so, we not only disrespect people whose cultural experiences differ from ours, but also create dysfunctional and useless drug and alcohol policies. It is as if we were punishing both ourselves and those in other cultures—the latter for not sharing our problematic views.

A far better alternative is to recognize the pliability of drug and alcohol experiences, so that we can better help people to change their views of the indelibility of their addictions in order to escape them.

There are many empowering and life-enriching ways to do this, and I will explore them in my next Substance.com column.

* Dwight B. Heath, “Drinking Patterns of the Bolivian Camba,” Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol 19:491-508, 1958.

+ The classic work of culture and alcohol disinhibition, by Craig MacAndrew and Robert Edgerton, is Drunken Comportment: A Social Explanation. MacAndrew and Edgerton showed that how people reacted to being drunk takes vastly different forms, and that even when extremely intoxicated, people observe their culture’s norms for drunken behavior.

++ Arthur B. Light & Edward G. Torrance, “Opiate Addiction. VI: The effects of abrupt withdrawal followed by readministration of morphine in human addicts, with special reference to the composition of the blood, the circulation and the metabolism,” Archives of Internal Medicine 44:1-16, 1929.
http://www.substance.com/the-addictive-effects-of-drugs-are-above-all-culturally-determined/16552/

I enjoyed this article a great deal. The complex, ambitious, and divergent concepts explored are clearly intercorrelated to create such a graspable piece.

Human beings tend to believe their reality is reality, and routinely confuse subjective experience with objective fact.

Absolutely spot on, reality is inherently and unequivocally subjective and thus is an individual determination of experience.

Reality is determined by our experience. Our experience throughout life is determined by our perception of what happens. Our perceptions are determined by our thoughts. We control our thoughts. Therefore we are the ones in control. We determine our own experience and create our own reality.

For example, their subjects had their withdrawal symptoms relieved by “the single prick of a needle” or a “hypodermic injection of sterile water.” The doctors noted:

An old thread of your TPD:)
The Placebo Effect

Just how Powerful is the Placebo Effect.. the video has been taken down, but this chapter is very relevant.
Chapter 12[edit]
The Placebo Effect. This is a discussion of the role of the placebo in modern medicine, including examples such as Diazepam, which, Brooks claims, in some situations appears to work only if the patient knows they are taking it. Brooks describes research into prescription behaviour which appears to show that use of placebos is commonplace. He describes the paper by Asbjørn Hrobjartsson and Peter C. Gøtzsche in the New England Journal of Medicine that challenges use of placebos entirely, and the work of others towards an understanding of the mechanism of the effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_Things_That_Don't_Make_Sense

Our cultural assumptions blind us to reality, making us that much more susceptible to addiction. We can never fathom the degree to which cultural and individual beliefs impact our drug experiences. And our ignorance places us in peril, even as we congratulate ourselves on our advanced neuroscientific thinking.

Very true. If "cultural and individual beliefs impact our drug experiences" to such a degree then they must significantly affect the underlying neuroscience. To what extent do we create outcomes, that are products of our own determination; both in addiction and neuroscience.

Our cultural assumptions blind us to reality

Or do they determine our reality.. brings back the question of what reality is. Is there one true and unbiased perception of life that would constitute a genuine"reality?" Or is reality an infinitely placid, perpetual fluctuation of unique experience, determined by an individuals chosen perception of their constant unavoidable interaction with uncontrollable events.

Last edited:
Fascinating article, thanks for posting. I wonder how this relates to the concept of kindling ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_(sedative-hypnotic_withdrawal) ).

The article I linked only mentions GABAergic drugs, but it's definitely something I've noticed with opioids as well, and other people have described the same experience to me.

On another note, I've also noticed that I can go longer without my regular valium dose the less I think about it - I used to set an alarm every 4 hours to take it on the dot and start feeling edgy in the hour leading up to each dose, but of course as time passed sometimes I'd forget to reset the alarm, and then sometimes I'd find I then got distracted by or absorbed in some other pursuit, and I often went extra hours or skipped a dose entirely without noticing - or would start thinking about it and suddenly symptoms would start occurring until I took my dose. Of course the causal relationship could go the other way, it could just be fluctuations in my anxiety levels allowing me to go without the drug when I don't have the symptoms it treats, but it's interesting to think about. Probably a bit of both in my opinion.

This is part of why I have a problem with the whole 12 step system and the "disease model," because it lodges the concept of being an "eternal addict" indelibly into the individual's self identity, instead of allowing them to see addiction as a state of being that can be changed if they alter their behavior and self-conception.

Last edited:
Really interesting food for thought.
I don't have time to read the whole thing now, but I will be back in a week or two once this nasty - busy period in my life is over.
Until then, take this discussion far, my friends.

A lot of things to think about..
Indeed very interesting article.

People used to accuse me of being all flaky-new-agey in my early days here when I'd post, "A drug effect is an interaction between a person and a substance, where they each bring something to the table."

Chinese MDMA users (at least around the turn of the millennium), almost homogeneously male, used to stand together in loose groups in clubs and wag their heads back and forth for hours to the music. It was even widely called "head wagging pills". There was no touching, no gut-spilling conversations, no cuddle puddles, no chewing things, no glowsticks or enjoyment of any visuals.

I would say that most worrying of all, in any culture, is when people use a drug entirely apart from and outside any social context. Note that this is not necessarily the same thing as using alone. One can use a drug alone in a culture that teaches him that this is the proper way to use it, and integrate the experience just fine -- I'm reminded of indigenous cultures where young men go off on their own and use hallucinogenic plants during walkabouts and vision quests. Or, at the other end, one can be under the influence of a drug in the company of others, who are not aware he is intoxicated and would not approve of his intoxication if they knew -- I'm reminded of alcohol consumers in Muslim Arab cultures.

But most healthy drug use takes place within a social context. Others that the user is close with are aware and approving of his use, and inform him, through lore and example, of what he should expect to feel and do (and thus likely will feel and do) under the influence. His wanting to maintain his status and approval among them puts a check on patters of use, or behavior under the influence, which deviates from what he his people have shown him. A non-problem drug user would likely feel guilty deviating from the use model shown him by the people he considers his people.

From what I have observed and experienced, a fairly clear line has been crossed when someone says to themselves, "I don't care what anyone says or how anyone else uses this. I'll have full say of over when, where, why, and how much I use!" At that point the drug is divorced from a social context entirely, and becomes a powerful part of a broader social disaffection, that in most cases predates (but is thereafter worsened by) asocial drug use.

^ more food for thought from MDAO.

Is drug use outside of a social context necessarily or inherently problematic? Does is just tend to lead to bad outcomes (that MDAO sees in his profession), but other users are breaking out of the box and experiencing new realities based on their imaginations interacting with the drug?

Chinese MDMA users (at least around the turn of the millennium), almost homogeneously male, used to stand together in loose groups in clubs and wag their heads back and forth for hours to the music. It was even widely called "head wagging pills". There was no touching, no gut-spilling conversations, no cuddle puddles, no chewing things, no glowsticks or enjoyment of any visuals.

That's just a difference in context created by a difference in culture though, not an actual difference in the effect the drug has on the individual's neurochemistry and physiology. They're still undergoing enhanced sensory experience, just reacting by wagging their heads instead of full body dancing, the Confucian culture in China stresses the suppression of the kind of behavior that leads to those gut-spilling conversations and cuddle puddles, evidently enough to override the interpersonal empathogenic effect of MDMA (at least in public, I imagine a group of individuals close to eachother who took the drug in private, where personal discussion and physical contact is considered acceptable, would have an experience much more similar to a group of Westerners taking the drug in the same context). A Chinese Nightclub is going to be a very different environment to a Western one, and so of course the way the individuals express the effects of the drug will differ, just as they differ when a group of Westerners take the drug in a small group at home or outdoors, or together as a sexual couple. Very different to withdrawal symptoms being relieved by the injection of saline.

Fascinating article, thanks for posting. I wonder how this relates to the concept of kindling ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_(sedative-hypnotic_withdrawal) ).

The article I linked only mentions GABAergic drugs, but it's definitely something I've noticed with opioids as well, and other people have described the same experience to me.

On another note, I've also noticed that I can go longer without my regular valium dose the less I think about it - I used to set an alarm every 4 hours to take it on the dot and start feeling edgy in the hour leading up to each dose, but of course as time passed sometimes I'd forget to reset the alarm, and then sometimes I'd find I then got distracted by or absorbed in some other pursuit, and I often went extra hours or skipped a dose entirely without noticing - or would start thinking about it and suddenly symptoms would start occurring until I took my dose. Of course the causal relationship could go the other way, it could just be fluctuations in my anxiety levels allowing me to go without the drug when I don't have the symptoms it treats, but it's interesting to think about. Probably a bit of both in my opinion.

This is part of why I have a problem with the whole 12 step system and the "disease model," because it lodges the concept of being an "eternal addict" indelibly into the individual's self identity, instead of allowing them to see addiction as a state of being that can be changed if they alter their behavior and self-conception.

I completely agree with this. That's my issue with the 12 step system. I just don't think that telling people that they're helpless to fight their "disease" by themselves is the best way to go about things. If it works for somebody, great and getting help to get out of addiction is a good idea, but I really think that putting the onus on the individual to enact the change is the better way to do it than to say you NEED help to get through this.

I completely agree with this. That's my issue with the 12 step system. I just don't think that telling people that they're helpless to fight their "disease" by themselves is the best way to go about things. If it works for somebody, great and getting help to get out of addiction is a good idea, but I really think that putting the onus on the individual to enact the change is the better way to do it than to say you NEED help to get through this.

Absolutely, it takes the responsibility out of the hands of the individual, robs them of agency over their own life.

And not just that, but the idea of the "once an addict, always an addict," is extremely counterproductive as well. If I thought that I was going to be an addict for the rest of my life, constantly on the edge of relapse and staving it off only by going into a crowded, dingy room and listening to humblebrag junkie war stories a couple times a week, I'd say fuck it and go right back to shooting up pills and H.

That's just a difference in context created by a difference in culture though, not an actual difference in the effect the drug has on the individual's neurochemistry and physiology. They're still undergoing enhanced sensory experience, just reacting by wagging their heads instead of full body dancing, the Confucian culture in China stresses the suppression of the kind of behavior that leads to those gut-spilling conversations and cuddle puddles, evidently enough to override the interpersonal empathogenic effect of MDMA (at least in public, I imagine a group of individuals close to eachother who took the drug in private, where personal discussion and physical contact is considered acceptable, would have an experience much more similar to a group of Westerners taking the drug in the same context). A Chinese Nightclub is going to be a very different environment to a Western one, and so of course the way the individuals express the effects of the drug will differ, just as they differ when a group of Westerners take the drug in a small group at home or outdoors, or together as a sexual couple. Very different to withdrawal symptoms being relieved by the injection of saline.

I disagree. I think it's essentially the same phenomenon -- in both the two sorts of rolling clubbers and the two sorts of heroin users coming down from heroin, the same neuromodulation is filtered through different memories, associations, and expectations, and therefore dealt with -- both by the mind and the brain -- differently. I don't understand why you seek to draw this distinction. What is "culture" besides what you're used to and what you expect, in any case? Two people having a cultural difference needn't involve them coming from different sides of the world or speaking different languages. Every household has subtle but real cultural differences from the one next to it.

I think that we as a species evolve very slowly now because most people don't really perceive the world through their senses but rather perceive what they expect to perceive (or even what they're expected to perceive). The culture pre-determines what is possible and what is impossible. How can we evolve if we are not open for the new? Anything that is outside the set of rules is automatically unreal. A good example is religion. Theistic religions exactly tell you how you should perceive God, believing is simply a result of accepting what another person tells you, e.g. your parents raise you in a certain religion and from the early childhood you're taught to uncritically accept everything you're told, this is plain wrong and limiting. Honestly speaking, all religions give you a general idea how you should perceive the world around you, you can be creative as long as you stay inside the frames of your religion, at best your religion is a point of reference, however, what if this point of reference is wrong? It takes away one of the best experiences in your life - discovering it.

This is so true ^
Cultural conditioning is indeed a factor.. just read some Foucault…

Yes, most cultures and heavily influences if not actually created by certain power structures, which hope to either create a culture or influence an existing culture in such a way as to promote said power structure as the status quo and the normative (as what should be). Archetypes (such as gender, the masculine and feminine, such as encountered in Western culture, is quite coercive and limiting) come in here in a really important way. Also as was earlier mentioned, the placebo effect is heavily influenced by a culture as well as heavily influencing that same culture, as sort of feedback loop, which can lead to some sort of crazy results.

In a way, it kind of boils downs to whether we're merely a product of our environment or if we can be more - and I believe we can be more. Although we can also be merely a product of our environment as well, the docile gray blob sort of person. With the extremely negative junkie archetype social institutions and Western culture (well commonplace mainstream western culture, as well as other cultures as well I'm sure) stuff down the throats of people who use opioids does serious damage.

For most people, when nearly they are treated like scum by nearly everything around them, it makes it very difficult for them to act like a lotus blossom that they truly are or could become. It's much easier to do well when you and yours expect you to do well, than to expect you to fuck everything hopelessly up.

I'm glad I posted this article, and very pleased to see all these thoughtful responses. Right on folks! Keep it coming :) <3

Last edited by a moderator:
For most people, when nearly they are treated like scum by nearly everything around them, it makes it very difficult for them to act like a lotus blossom that they truly are or could become. It's much easier to do well when you and yours expect you to do well, than to expect you to fuck everything hopelessly up.

I have no doubt that treating drug users and addicts like criminals increases criminal behavior among them. Someone who is not a criminal, but is arrested as one, dressed in a carrot suit and locked behind bars as one, branded as one with a record, and actively hunted down as one, has a much better chance of being transformed into one. I bet it gets much easier to behave like one and possibly even start to belive they are one. People have a strong tendency to behave in ways that reflect the way they are treated.

In abusive relationship the abuser often degrades, belittles, and bullies their victims. They try and do this so significantly that the victim starts to believe that they are worthless and deserve the treatment they are receiving. This actually happens and the victims start to believe and act like they are. Sounds pretty similar to the justice systems aproach to drug users and addicts. Bully them, degrade them, treat them like criminals and I bet some of them start to believe and act like they are.

You wont have good results persecuting, degrading, and excluding someone from a society you wish them to follow the rules of.

So well said NSA <3

Internalizing a negative victim identity is also something I see western/modern medicine having when it treats "addict" (like when it labels addiction as an incurable disease, or proposes that drugs make people behave certain almost predetermined ways - using brain scans as evidence for instance - it can become something that, while well intentioned, in treating "addicts" as "sick" individuals robs the individuals in question of their agency, relegating them to "addict"/helpless victim of their disease status forever).

Nice points, NSA and TPD.

I am also thinking about my own experiences on drugs and how they have been affected by what I perceived to be "society's beliefs".

My first LSD trip was a nightmare, because I felt like I had done something morally "wrong" by taking the drug.
I imagined that my parents were watching me through the peephole in my door, deeply disappointed in me.
Then I imagined (believed) that - literally - the entire world (6 billion people back then) was lined up outside my window, all staring in at me, and all terribly disappointed in me. One of the most messed-up experiences of my life.

If only I had known what I know now, a quarter-century later, about how all humans in all societies in all eras of history have used drugs.
Or if I had had bluelight and erowid to read back then, I could have changed my perspective.

I disagree. I think it's essentially the same phenomenon -- in both the two sorts of rolling clubbers and the two sorts of heroin users coming down from heroin, the same neuromodulation is filtered through different memories, associations, and expectations, and therefore dealt with -- both by the mind and the brain -- differently. I don't understand why you seek to draw this distinction. What is "culture" besides what you're used to and what you expect, in any case? Two people having a cultural difference needn't involve them coming from different sides of the world or speaking different languages. Every household has subtle but real cultural differences from the one next to it.

There's a huge difference between a group of Chinese clubbers expressing their appreciation of music differently to a group of Western clubbers and a heroin addict being even partially relieved of withdrawal symptoms by a placebo shot.

There's a huge difference between a group of Chinese clubbers expressing their appreciation of music differently to a group of Western clubbers and a heroin addict being even partially relieved of withdrawal symptoms by a placebo shot.

I agree with you that there's a key difference between two different people reacting differently to the sudden presence of a drug that wasn't recently in their system, and two different people reacting differently to the sudden absence of a drug that recently was. But I think they both fall under the category of people experiencing what they expect to experience, and have a lot in common worth exploring.

I guess if I wanted to compare apples to apples, I could survey Chinese MDMA users about what kinds of supplements and other drugs they find effective in alleviating the effects of an MDMA comedown, and see if these differ markedly from the anti-comedown remedies Western MDMA users report.