View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Linda Robertson: ‘Gay conversion therapy killed my son, Ryan’

poledriver

Bluelighter
Linda Robertson: ‘Gay conversion therapy killed my son, Ryan’

935651-f145038c-76fa-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

Saying goodbye ... Linda Robertson kisses the cheek of her eldest son, Ryan, days before he died of a drug overdose. Picture: Supplied. Source: Supplied

DEVOUT Christian Linda Robertson says her son came out to her at 12-years-old but that she forced him into ‘conversion therapy’. Now she is travelling the US to ensure more kids don’t die like hers did.

Rob and Linda Robertson of Washington State were told by their son Ryan, then aged 12, that he was gay.

“It’s just the way I am and it’s something I know,” Mrs Robertson recalls him saying. “You are not a lesbian and you know that. It is the same thing.”

While initially understanding, the Robertsons forced Ryan into weekly reparative therapy meetings with their pastor during his teenage years.

“Basically, we told our son that he had to choose between Jesus and his sexuality,” Mrs Robertson said.

[video=youtube_share;ZwCrQw1YeF0]http://youtu.be/ZwCrQw1YeF0[/video]

However it was something he was unable to do and he ended up running away.

“Just before his 18th birthday, Ryan, depressed, suicidal, disillusioned and convinced that he would never be able to be loved by God, made a new choice.

He decided to throw out his Bible and his faith at the same time, and to try searching for what he desperately wanted — peace — another way. And the way he chose to try first was drugs,” Mrs Robertson writes.

That started off with marijuana and alcohol and within six months grew to include cocaine, crack and heroin.

After about 18 months he returned to live with his parents.

Rob Robertson said their relationship with their son improved after God spoke to them and told them to love their son “just because he breathes because that is how I love you.”

But within 10 months, Ryan relapsed into using drugs and he overdosed. He died in hospital 17 days later aged 20

“What we had wished for … prayed for … hoped for … that we would NOT have a gay son, came true.

But not at all in the way we used to envision,” Mrs Robertson writes on her blog justbecausehebreathes.com

“Suddenly our fear of Ryan someday having a boyfriend (a possibility that honestly terrified me) seemed trivial in contrast to our fear of Ryan’s death.

“When I think back on the fear that governed all my reactions during those first six years after Ryan told us he was gay, I cringe as I realise how foolish I was.

I was afraid of all the wrong things,” she wrote. “And I grieve, not only for my oldest son, who I will miss every day for the rest of my life, but for the mistakes I made.

I grieve for what could have been, had we been walking by FAITH instead of by FEAR.”

935731-b3a2db70-76f6-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

Mrs Robertson is determined to ensure that other Christian parents do not experience the same fate as her family.

Both of Ryan’s parents now travel around the US, speaking out on behalf of the gay community and trying to convince Evangelical parents that they should support their gay children.

“Now, whenever Rob and I join our gay friends for an evening, I think about how much I would love to be visiting with Ryan and his partner over dinner. But instead, we visit Ryan’s gravestone,” she writes. “

We celebrate anniversaries: the would-have-been birthdays and the unforgettable day of his death. We wear orange — his colour.

We hoard memories: pictures, clothing he wore, handwritten notes, lists of things he loved, tokens of his passions, recollections of the funny songs he invented,

his Curious George and baseball blankey, anything, really, that reminds us of our beautiful boy … for that is all we have left, and there will be no new memories.”

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...lled-my-son-ryan/story-fnet085v-1227138934331

Religion. *shakes head*

Often times the most unholy thing on earth.

And she is still all wacked out on it.

Horrible therapy, sadistic and religiously abusive. Tells one they can't be who they are. Ever see criminal minds episode about it. Argh.
My brother is gay, took dad a long time to accept it, but would never resort to this^

Gay conversion therapy - at first I wondered if it was designed to make people gay.
Shouldn't we call it "straight conversion therapy"? (Or "ignorant torture"?)
Regardless, the therapy is not to blame any more than the drugs.
In other newspapers, they might have blamed the drugs.
But intolerance - by his parents and religious leader - seems to be the main culprit in his death.
As well as ignorance of how to use drugs safely, and lack of safe drugs to use.

After this "drug war" is over, people won't have to die in order to use drugs.
Getting pharmeceutical quality heroin might have saved this guy's life.
After the "gay war" is over, people will be less suceptible to suffering due to ignorance of sexuality.
Having parents who accepted him for what he was might have saved his life as well.

It shouldn't even be listed as a therapy… that's pathetic in itself for the field of psychology

The fact that some one thinks you can send a person to gay conversion therapy an any good will come of it makes his parents complete idiots...
prolly wishing you had just let it be accepted his ways and let him live his life..

“Basically, we told our son that he had to choose between Jesus and his sexuality,” Mrs Robertson said.

that's actually a very good idea, unless you've been indoctrinated to believe that what a carpenter who's been dead for 2000 years would think of you has any effect.

As someone who was dragged to church on the weekends and basically forced to adhere to a certain strict template "one size fits all" Christian lifestyle - lest I become guilt tripped, mocked, abused, and cursed - reading this story and seeing the pictures of a spiritually and emotionally broken family... it's tear-jerking.

That this deceased young adult could only find comfort when intoxicated... the vivid picture in my mind is as clear as can be, of a misunderstood, religiously persecuted, emotionally/physically abused, tortured and conflicted man.

What was his crime? Was it really so detestable that he was seemingly pushed to the point where he ultimately found more peace in life when unconscious?

Let this be an incredibly tragic, completely preventable lesson to other religious nut-parents out there who traumatize their children for being different: You'll be the ones feeling traumatized; feeling different, when you realize that you never knew what you had until you lost him or her.

Take your twisted, destructive, prejudiced interpretation of whatever God(s) you worship and never burden another son; another daughter again. Better yet: don't even bother having children if they'll be subjected to your spiritual and emotional religious baggage.

RIP dear Ryan. I'm sincerely sorry that your only escape; your only moments of bliss in your short adult life were likely from self-medicating with mind altering substances. It's a crying shame your parents were seemingly too stupid to realize the pain and suffering they directly and indirectly inflicted upon you for many years. How grievous; how heartbreaking that they only realized it after your departure from this world.

My and my friends tired bringing our gay friend to the strippers with us, it didn't make him not gay anymore so we never tried again and accepted him.