• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Why Marijuana SHOULD Be Illegal

autopilot

Bluelighter
I think it is safe to assume that most posters in this forum believe either that marijuana should be legal or that current marijuana laws are excessively strict. More generally, I would assume that most posters here are more liberal when it comes to weed politics.
Under that assumption, I would like to note the importance of identifying and understanding opposing arguments. So, for those of you who oppose the illegality of marijuana, what do you perceive to be the strongest arguments your opposition would cite for keeping marijuana illegal?

I have been thinking about this a lot, and the best arguments I heard would always come down to "drugs are bad, mkay..." :|
And even that is arguable.
Basicly, I don't know either.

It gives people a reason to look forward to welfare.

Well, I have some interesting insight, I think. I learned in law school that much of the political support for anti-marijuana campaigns is backed by alcohol and tobacco companies, because marijauana constitutes competition for these companies' products. In other words, these companies benefit financially from marijuana being illegal.
However, although I will concede that this point may be significant, it certainly doesn't address the moral or social arguments for keeping marijuana illegal. So far, no one seems to know how the opposition justifies its position. And until that can be done, an argument cannot really be successfully made in support of marijuana.
Any other thoughts?

I want weed to stay illegal. That way organized crime, something which I am a part of, will continue to make easy money off it. If it were legalized, the god damn government would take the business away from us gang members.

pill pimp, thats pretty stupid to openly admit on this board you are a part of organized crime, thats like saying bomb on a plane, you jsut dont do it.(Source Meet the Parents)
Anyways, my thought always has been if fuckin tequila, and fuckin ciggs are legal substances in america, so should pot. But maybe thats why it remains illegal...

I think the only argument is that it can bring up issues of marijuana abuse. Right now, thats about the goverment's only valid reason.

You know, the only thing that I've ever heard about the reason weed is illegal are these two things:
1. It's illegal because it's illegal.
2. It's a drug.
Yes, I know these are two very pathetic arguments, but that is all I've ever been able to glean from all the sources I've been exposed to. I'm assuming that the push for the legalisation of weed actually has such momentum because there are no real arguments against it other than the generic "illegal" and "drugs are bad mmmkay?" stances.
So bring it on, dammit.

Lots of idiots would get wreckless(sp?) with pot. They don't have breathalyzer(sp? again. pardon, im not too sober) tests for marijuana, which means that stoned drivers would be awfully difficult to catch if they are all packing Visine. Then there's the fact that high school, and even middle school, kids would obviously come to school stoned; its easier to hide (I'm in high school NOW, so I know that kids these days do come to school stoned, but imagine if it was legal? They'd be carrying around joints like they carry around packs of cigarettes nowadays...) Then there's the fact that people would show up to work stoned... its no different to school: Your superiors expect you take care of your shit, regardless of what you do in your spare time. There's a plethora of reasons on why it should be illegal and that is what ruins it for the more responsible folks.
EDIT: Typos. Leave the drunkards alone. :/
[ 05 January 2003: Message edited by: White Flag ]

there are no valid reasons. Theres nothing that unique to marijuana or other drugs which isnt shared by any number of legal things. theres nothing inherihately harmful about having them legal (quite the opposite). Its a have, is like saying "why do you think the jews should be exterminated?", the initially reasons are based purely in propaganda and misconception and as such once enlightened its impossible to go back.
Many of the above reasons for not making pot legal are already in effect while its illegal (for example, people already drive stoned, go to work and school stoned etc). Theres no evidence (quite the opposite in fact) that drug use increases with legality.
However the misconceptions used by anti-drugers to justify illegality are as follows:
1) legalisation (not prohibtion) increases use
2) Drugs (not prohibtion) cause crime and violence
3) Drugs cause addiction (not simply pleasurable activities and irresponisble people)
4) Drugs impair learning (not lazy arse irresponsible people)
There are prolly more but you get the idea, the other side of the debate justifies its position on half-truths. Any serious look into the facts will dispell everyone of these myths.
[ 05 January 2003: Message edited by: Cimora ]

I can't think of a single reason why marijuana should be illegal for anyone above the age of 18.

Originally posted by White Flag:
Then there's the fact that people would show up to work stoned... its no different to school: Your superiors expect you take care of your shit, regardless of what you do in your spare time.
I think this is a terrible argument.... people get fired if they come to work drunk and don't get their shit done. Likewise, people will get fired if they're stoned at work all the time and don't get their shit done. How can you even bring personal responsibility into this argument about legalization? I smoke, I work and I go to school, and I know the place for each. I seem to be handling myself fine.... and other people don't, which is the same with alcohol. Some people can handle it and some can't.
Do you think the government REALLY is needed to hold our hand and keep us from wrecking our careers?

Do you think the government REALLY is needed to hold our hand and keep us from wrecking our careers?
I agree with what you're saying.
As far as I'm concerned with offenses like coming into work on drugs or driving on drugs or commiting crimes because of drugs... go charge people with the real crimes, not using drugs.
Anyone can certainly use drugs and chose not to drive or engage in wreckless or criminal activity that harms others.
For example, if you drive under the influence of marijuana, then you should be charged with that. That's a real crime. Possessing marijuana itself doesn't hurt anyone. (Yes, this is just a purely hypothetical example. I realize it's difficult to determine if someones driving is really affected by marijuana if they smoked the day before and that it's difficult to determine when they smoked it).

I want weed to stay illegal. That way organized crime, something which I am a part of, will continue to make easy money off it. If it were legalized, the god damn government would take the business away from us gang members.
Pill pimp, may I remind you that selling shake to high school kids is not exactly considered "organized crime", which you so proudly claim to be a part of. You are either a 13 year old poser or the worst drug dealer I have ever "seen".

It's basically legal in holland, and do you know what happened there? PEOPLE GOT BORED OF IT! It''ll happen in america too, people will get bored of it, it'll take a few years but if ever legalized I bet that Marijuana use would decine after a couple years of America getting stoned heavily. The diffrence between marijuana and Ciggs, Booze and coffee is that weed is'nt physically addictive, for some people mentaly or whatever but still your body won't crave for it. What Pill pimp is saying is exactly what i've been saying in support of the legalization of marijuana. If u legalize weed you'll crumble countless criminal organizations staying afloat thanks to selling pot! The Police would have their work load cut in half and America would have millions if not billions of tax dollars thanks to weed. It will make the world (well @ least America) a better place, but change takes time and judging by how ridiculously ignorant the American goverment has been towards marijuana i doubt it'll be legal in America anytime soon.
But hey it'll be damn near legal in Canada so You guys are all welcome to visit!!!

Good topic, it's good to discuss both sides of the argument.
I saw a documentary on weed causing psychosis in a small percentage of people. I guess these people are already predisposed to it, but it could be a reason. Not enough of a reason to make weed illegal in my opinion, but a reason none the less.
I also don't think that comparing weed to drugs that are already legal is much of an argument. The government isn't necessarily saying that they want tobacco and alchohol to be legal, they tried to ban alchohol remember... Maybe they would prefer people not to harm themselves with drugs at all and it is very possible to keep weed illegal but alchohol and tobacco are too ingrained in our culture to turn around on them now.
Please note, I think that weed should be legal, but I'm just offering some alternative discussion.

See the part i like about it being illegal is the paranoia it brings it run through me and the adrenaline kicks in when im somwhere im not familiar with. When the cops show up im not going easy im gunna make em run for this ticket, keeps going through my mind. But i do like to have a good time and not worry, so legal or not its still fun.

I think that pot should be legalized because there are so many people that go to jail for a possession offense and it wastes so much of our (taxpayer) money.
I also agree that some companies benefit when pot is illegal and because these companies probably give a lot of money for political reasons, they will get their way.
Another question though.... if they legalize marijuana, do you think more people will try and get other drugs legalized as well? or will it stop there?

The only reason why pot and any other drug is illegal is because the government is in the business of crime. The more crimes that find (or make) means the more business they receive. The main reason why you hear cops saying weed shouldn't be legalized is because they are afraid of losing their job. Less crimes, less police officers, it's simple logic.