• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drugs, sex and schoolies: Why Bali is every parent’s worst nightmare

poledriver

Bluelighter
Drugs, sex and schoolies: Why Bali is every parent’s worst nightmare

WELCOME to every parent’s worst nightmare: hawkers peddling drugs on the street, methanol-laced cocktails sold in laneways, and teenagers drinking themselves into oblivion.
Some 6000 schoolies will converge on the party island of Bali in the coming days, more than 4500km from the gaze of their concerned parents.
During a 10-minute walk along the main street in Kuta, The Saturday Telegraph was offered “hashish” or “cannabis” 10 times.
But there are other more dangerous drugs on offer, including the highly hallucinogenic magic mushrooms and pills.

132549-80e832bc-70fb-11e4-be8f-bede1d9ce397.jpg

At last year’s schoolies, a teenager launched into a fit of rage after taking mushrooms bought from a shopfront.
Indonesian police have since banned the drug and classified it as a class one addictive narcotic, which carries a serious prison term.
But despite the ban, sources told The Saturday Telegraph that mushrooms could still be bought from street dealers.
Bali police have increased their presence in the main tourist centres and will launch a special traffic operation targeting tourists dangerously operating scooters. Bali Tourist Police will also run a visa operation next week targeting foreigners.

132147-6213984a-70fb-11e4-be8f-bede1d9ce397.jpg

Central Coast teenager Jasmine Baker was blinded by a methanol drink, known locally as “jungle juice”, at last year’s schoolies in Bali and airlifted to Darwin.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/dr...-worst-nightmare/story-fneszs56-1227131360849

At last year’s schoolies, a teenager launched into a fit of rage after taking mushrooms bought from a shopfront.
Indonesian police have since banned the drug and classified it as a class one addictive narcotic, which carries a serious prison term.

Damn, that really sux. I had shrooms when I was there ages and they were legal, you could buy them in bars and clubs, we had them in milkshakes that were blended up in front of you, one of the most amazing and intense trips I have ever had.

It's not the drugs that are the problem, it's potentially getting stuck in the Bali legal system because of those drugs that's the problem. Much like Thailand.

Actually the problem is the irresponsible teenagers buying random drugs off the street.
Pro tip, don't buy drugs off strangers in a third world country
Again, proper drug education can go a long way.
Also wtf? Putting methanol in drinks?

I believe the methanol is present due to poor distallation techniques. Not a deliberate attempt to poison but a failure to remove a toxic byproduct of manufacture.

Indonesian police have since banned the drug and classified it as a class one addictive narcotic, which carries a serious prison term

Has any one been after this happened? Are all the stores gone?

Meanwhile.... On the Gold Coast -

Schoolies ditch booze for ‘pingas’

Hard-partying schoolies swap booze for drugs including ecstasy and pot in alarming new trend

FORGET alcohol, today’s schoolies are going for a cheaper option — ecstasy pills.
The well-known party drugs have well and truly made their way into this year’s festivities.
Schoolies yesterday confided in the Bulletin that at least 80 per cent of them are “f*cked up on ecstasy”.
“It’s cheaper than alcohol to buy one pill of ecstasy,” one teenager said.
“It lasts you the whole night, while alcohol doesn’t.”
Pills (ecstasy) are reportedly the most common drug at Schoolies, as well as MDMA, ice, acid and weed.

853796-dccb30d2-72dd-11e4-9152-957a1213fec7.jpg

One pill of ecstasy, also known as “dingas” or “pingas”, costs $20 to $30 on the street compared to about $50 for a carton of beer.
“Depends if you get a good deal or ripped off,” one boy said.
“MDMA $25, acid $25 or weed any where from $100 to $600.”
While some schoolies buy drugs before coming to the Gold Coast, there is no shortage of supply once they hit the Glitter Strip.
“Guys offer them at the beach concerts,” one girl from Cairns said.
“Or else on the streets or at the more trashy hotels.”
Just like the amount of drugs, the anecdotes are also flowing.

674626-d7e3e262-72dd-11e4-9152-957a1213fec7.jpg

1416791277743_Image_galleryImage_Schoolies_2014_Exposed.JPG

1416791355570_Image_galleryImage_Schoolies_2014_Exposed.JPG

2370518100000578-2846794-Thousands_are_sharing_selfies_from_across_the_Gold_Coast-20_1416794455549.jpg

237063D400000578-2846794-Teens_partying_on_hotel_balconies_and_some_even_in_compromising_-16_1416794455498.jpg

2370555400000578-0-image-34_1416790749526.jpg

1416792412636_Image_galleryImage_schooliesMUZZED_jpg.JPG

On Saturday night Two 17-year-old females were charged with possessing dangerous drugs after Police allegedly found ecstasy tablets in a hotel room on Orchid Avenue just after midnight.
Meanwhile that night another 19 schoolies were arrested on drunk and public nuisance offences and 35 non-schoolies were arrested on another 40 charges.
Chief Superintendent Des Lacy said despite having 2500 more schoolies than last year Police hadn’t had any significant offences as yet.
“On a whole Saturday night is always the most jubilant night for the schoolies and that’s when they’re air punching and letting off a bit of steam but in terms of behaviour there has been nothing significant for us,” he said.

http://www.news.com.au/national/har...arming-new-trend/story-e6frfkp9-1227132631885

Actually the problem is the irresponsible teenagers buying random drugs off the street.
Pro tip, don't buy drugs off strangers in a third world country
Again, proper drug education can go a long way.
Also wtf? Putting methanol in drinks?

True. It's not good to buy things from strangers, and it's best to know your limits with alcohol and other drugs, and not to drink methanol in alcoholic drinks.

Last edited:
All the well-known "party spots" in Asia -- Koh Pha Ngan, Goa, Khao San Rd., Bali, Cebu, Beijing's Sanlitun, Tokyo's Shibuya -- are basically just bated traps for dumb blue-eyed devils, where the local cops are more than happy to make a killing in bribes and fines, and local dealers are happy to sell dangerously dodgy goods for ridiculous prices. I've said it many times, Asia is nowadays a pretty risky continent for being a drug tourist, unless you're in an out-of-the-way place that hasn't been "discovered" by Western backpackers, and/or you're in with a trusted local.

Selling a pill of ecstasy for $25-$30?
If I started selling down there I could make a killing...

why, how much are they where you are from? Back in the 90's when I used to take alot of pills they were alot stronger but twice as expensive as the price you listed above.

Last edited:
Cannot include price discussion but lets just say they are ALOT less than that at street price, far less even in bulk

All the well-known "party spots" in Asia -- Koh Pha Ngan, Goa, Khao San Rd., Bali, Cebu, Beijing's Sanlitun, Tokyo's Shibuya -- are basically just bated traps for dumb blue-eyed devils, where the local cops are more than happy to make a killing in bribes and fines, and local dealers are happy to sell dangerously dodgy goods for ridiculous prices. I've said it many times, Asia is nowadays a pretty risky continent for being a drug tourist, unless you're in an out-of-the-way place that hasn't been "discovered" by Western backpackers, and/or you're in with a trusted local.

Yeah buying on the street probably not a good idea. Last time I was in Bali there were hundreds of people along the main street of kuta trying to sell counterfeit ephedrine after it stopped being over the counter. I can only imagine what it will be like if they have closed the legal shroom vendors down now.

I'd imagine though for people actually smuggling it wouldn't be a too difficult of a place to smuggle in to.
The price is likely so high because they know they are catering to a drug naive crowd.

So did I, we had a mad time, those shrooms !!!!!!

Looking at the skanks and dick heads in the GC pics, I know where I'd still rather go.

100% Poledriver one hunnnnnnnnnnndred percent, going to the gold coast for schoolies just seems like a very commercial and generic way to celebrate the end of year 12. Also, screw paying $400 a night for some shitty shoebox apartment when that would be a week's worth of accomodation in Bali!