Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Hawks Lost the War on Drugs — Get Over It

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Hawks Lost the War on Drugs — Get Over It
By David Yee
Nov 13, 2014

While the news is focusing on the newly-elected Republican Congress wrangling with whether or not to overturn Washington, D.C.’s decriminalization of marijuana, the “War on Drugs” continues to be lost on all fronts.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports heroin use is on a dramatic rise since 2007, with numbers reaching all-time highs. The cause of the problem: cheap street heroin due to a large market supply.
The sad reality, though, is that our War on Terror in Afghanistan is the sole cause of this glut of heroin.

For all the Taliban’s faults, to their credit, they had almost completely eradicated the production of opium (the source of heroin) in Afghanistan prior to the American invasion. With NATO forces continuing to leave, opium production is at all-time highs with Afghanistan producing over 80 percent of the world’s opium supply.

When we invaded Afghanistan in 2001, only 50,000 acres (78 sq. miles) of opium were grown in the entire country. In 2014, after 13 years of U.S. and NATO control, there are 22.5 million acres (35,156 sq. miles) of opium production — almost 15 percent of the total landmass of Afghanistan!

What’s worse, this is the number of acres cultivated AFTER the U.S. spent $7 billion trying to eradicate production.

How can they be doing this badly? It’s not like they are hunting for a stray patch here and there; we’re talking about 1 out of every 7 acres in the entire country under opium cultivation.

What is this money being spent on? If so much of the drug remains in production, how much did U.S. forces actually destroy? Something smells fishy.

If the full weight of our military in a country roughly the size of Texas can’t stop 15 percent of the total land area from being used to cultivate opium, what makes us think that we can ever win the war on drugs at home?

continued here http://ivn.us/2014/11/13/hawks-lost...tm_medium=listing&utm_campaign=opt-beta-v-1-1

..........................................................................................................................................

It’s time we change our attitudes on drugs. Winners will be winners, losers will be losers, regardless of their drugs of choice: alcohol, marijuana, and/or prescription or street drugs.

I like this take quite a bit. People, politicians, law enforcement always blame the drugs or use them as an excuse. So much of the time this is a cop out for losers acting like losers. Alcohol certainly can turn people into knuckle dragging idiots for awhile and drug overdoses can cause psychotic breaks with truely awful consequences, but taken as a whole drugs a a huge burden of blame for things that are not responsible for.

David Yee

Author and a Doctoral Candidate at Grand Canyon University studying Industrial Psychology. Interested in Business, Geopolitics, and the Religion of Economics (also the other way around). Currently revisiting vastly ignored ideas of the Founding Fathers in a "Looking to the Founders" series.

I can not imagine the congress working towards a bill to decriminalize marijuana.
I know they should and would actually do, however, on the other hand, how many conservative votes are they prepared to lose?

I like this take quite a bit. People, politicians, law enforcement always blame the drugs or use them as an excuse. So much of the time this is a cop out for losers acting like losers. Alcohol certainly can turn people into knuckle dragging idiots for awhile and drug overdoses can cause psychotic breaks with truely awful consequences, but taken as a whole drugs a a huge burden of blame for things that are not responsible for.

Agreed. I've been black-out drunk and I've had drug-induced psychoses but I certainly don't blame the drugs for those situations, and I never did anything to hurt anyone even in the worst states I was in.

We went to Afghanistan to protect the opium crop, not destroy it. It's what they make oxycodone and hydrocodone from, too, not just heroin.

The War on Drugs has always been lost because the problem has never been properly addressed. More and more people start taking drugs and get addicted because of the system we live in. The system makes rich people richer and less populous, and poor people poorer and more populous. And those who still make a living are in greater and greater stress anyway, because if they don't work harder, they will join the poor too. It gets worse and worse because this phenomenon works like an exponential function and we've eventually entered the phase of very fast growth.

Congressional law passing, which with Republicans 65% of whom do not condone making marijuana legal, is not the only scenario resulting in 100% legal weed at the Federal level. The attorney general of the United States, a Presidential appointee, has the authority to remove marijuana from Schedule I of the Controlled Substance Act based on the sound argument that posits that cannabis does not meet the criteria for Schedule I inclusion: to be included in Schedule I, a drug must be found to have 'a high potential for abuse and no medical use.' Whether or not marijuana is addictive and if so just how addictive it is are rather subjective observations, though current scientific conventional wisdom would probably place cannabis at about the Schedule III level of addictiveness. The second criterion, that marijuana has no accepted medical uses has been struck down by the research facts in the last few years. Hell, something like 20 states have already legalized medical marijuana. It is a shame that Eric Holder, the outgoing Obama appointed Attorney General of the United States, did not have the testicles to remove marijuana from the controlled substances act completely, as he most certainly could have done. If a Republican anti-marijuana Presidential candidate wins the White House and Oval Office in 2016, especially with a Republican controlled House and Senate as are now the case come January 1 or so, all the marijuana progress made on the medicalization of pot and outright legalization of pot for recreational purposes in Alaska, Washington state, Oregon, and Colorado could disappear overnight.