View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Heroin use is so high in Myanmar that syringes now serve as currency

poledriver

Bluelighter
Heroin use is so high in Myanmar that syringes now serve as currency

008609-b4921cfc-5f0a-11e4-a68a-5e0e7241b758.jpg

ALONG parts of the Myanmar-China border, where heroin addiction is appallingly common, fresh needles are now so coveted that shopkeepers dispense them as change.
Myanmar’s unruly hinterlands are in the grips of what may be Asia’s worst heroin epidemic — a scourge widely ignored by the rest of the world.

The country is one of Asia’s most dysfunctional and war-torn nations. Its currency is so debased that clerks offer tissues, cigarettes or candy in lieu of notes worth 5 or 10 cents. Many customers rightly prefer a few mints or smokes to worthless, stained, taped-up bills.

But in the heroin scourge’s heartland — along highways leading to Muse, a busy border town abutting China — some roadside shops also dole out clean needles as an alternative unit of currency.
That detail is buried in a report called “Silent Offensive”, by the Kachin Women’s Association of Thailand, which monitors abuses in Myanmar’s remote borderland states of Shan and Kachin.
The report notes that many gas stations also make change using bottles of sterile water, which addicts draw into syringes to turn powdered heroin into an injectable liquid.

Within the region, heroin is potent and cheap. A single dose can sell for as little as $1. Large swathes of Myanmar’s northern jungles are controlled by guerilla armies, many of them now allied with the central government. These quasi-lawless hills churn out almost all of Asia’s heroin. Only Afghanistan produces more opium, heroin’s key ingredient.

008165-cf9909d8-5f10-11e4-a68a-5e0e7241b758.jpg

GlobalPost’s award-winning investigation of the epidemic turned up communities where heroin is sold as openly as vegetables. In Kachin State’s capital of Myitkyina, needles are strewn in the fields, on the streets and on the local university’s campus. In the internet cafes, patrons are warned not to shoot up while checking email.

The Kachin Baptist Convention, an influential local Christian network claiming nearly half a million parishioners, offers this horrifying estimate: 80 per cent of youth in Kachin State are drug addicts.
“Where we live, police can barely reach us. So people make up the law themselves,” said Esther, 61, in a previous interview with GlobalPost. She’s the founder of an anti-drug vigilante group near Muse, where syringes are traded as currency.
“In many villages, every home contains an addict,” Esther said. “We all have personal tragedies. My husband and son got hooked and sold everything in the house — even bags of rice.”

Cont - http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...erve-as-currency/story-e6frflo9-1227110008193

Addicts in this far-flung region often check in to jungle detox camps, run by evangelical Christians, where they are locked in cages during the throes of withdrawal

Pretty insane and sad story all around.

Yea very sad story...can't even begin to imagine being locked in a cage during dope WD....I'd prob go insane

Old school recovery at it's best.

I know of more than a few expat junkies who have retired to a certain northern thai province, but I guess myanmar/burma is too tumultuous for even the most pennywise aficionado.

Search Myanman in good and the "Top Story" is: Heroin hell: Syringes as currency Fucking media.

Addicts in this far-flung region often check in to jungle detox camps, run by evangelical Christians, where they are locked in cages during the throes of withdrawal

That's barbaric. At least sedate them for a few days through the acute stage and provide proper counseling. All they'll achieve by locking them up is causing them to suffer through days of agony, fantasizing about getting high the whole time, then bail and score the moment they can to make it stop.

I wish I could get high for a dollar all my problems would be solved

Perhaps, but even like that all parties must end at some point and you would be left in a harder spot. It may be a fun few years or decades but I wouldnt want to be there when the music ends.

Those poor addicts though, how can Christianity which is born of the idea of equality and spreading the message of Jesus even condone cages? I doubt Jesus locked anyone in a cage even those who probably deserved it way more then these poor souls.

No it wouldn't. Even if you went over there with a few thousand saved up, you'd eventually run out of money and be left with a massive habit to withdraw from.

Only solution would be to have some kind of income from the West to support you while you get high over there (trust fund, investments, etc). Otherwise you'll eventually just dig yourself in a deeper hole.

Otherwise you'll eventually just dig yourself in a deeper hole.

The problem with continuous drug use it tolerance. Tolerance is the fuel that digs that hole and as of now there is nothing to prevent it. We should be looking for a drug that prevents tolerance as this would prevent physical dependence and would allow addicts to space their use out much better.

Yes, tolerance is what makes so many of us OD.
It seems there´s no limit to how deep it can be.
If I´ve told you what I´ve taken you all would say it´s impossible.
Impossible for me was getting high as I reached some point that not even Fentanyl would work.
I was turning myself into a zumbi.
I´m glad I´m free of this shit. But not that glad as I still dream about it.

Last edited:
No it wouldn't. Even if you went over there with a few thousand saved up, you'd eventually run out of money and be left with a massive habit to withdraw from.

Only solution would be to have some kind of income from the West to support you while you get high over there (trust fund, investments, etc). Otherwise you'll eventually just dig yourself in a deeper hole.

Yeah, I saw a doco not too long ago how alot of Aussies are going to thailand to retire as they can still get their pension into their bank accounts and they can live alot better over there (compared to here) for how much money they have. And it's becoming more and more popular, there is really good and cheap aged care there as people there (in burma) care for their elderly alot better than we do here apparently.

I guess some younger people could do the dope thing and keep surviving financially there if they owned property in Aus and it was rented out or whatever (like you said investments) but the average person who doesn't own a rental property (or have stocks or bonds etc) would for sure burn through their savings there eventually even if you only had to pay a dollar or two to get high, there are other costs, altho alot cheaper than here, things like food, accommodation and transport etc

I have a friend here who escaped Burma along time ago and she is an amazing woman, she cares for me and my family here like we are her own, she is an amazing cook and helps out with so many various community things it makes me wonder how she does it. She married an Aussie ages ago and lives here and also cares for her mother in law, she still goes back to visit burma quite a bit and last time she bought me back a plain white t shirt with Myanmar on it, shame it's a medium tho and I am an X tra large. I'd love to go there one day and thailand, but I wouldnt touch drugs over there. The food and the culture and ocean and stuff would be enough for me, I'd drink tho.

Yeah, I saw a doco not too long ago how alot of Aussies are going to thailand to retire as they can still get their pension into their bank accounts and they can live alot better over there (compared to here) for how much money they have. And it's becoming more and more popular, there is really good and cheap aged care there as people there (in burma) care for their elderly alot better than we do here apparently.

I guess some younger people could do the dope thing and keep surviving financially there if they owned property in Aus and it was rented out or whatever (like you said investments) but the average person who doesn't own a rental property (or have stocks or bonds etc) would for sure burn through their savings there eventually even if you only had to pay a dollar or two to get high, there are other costs, altho alot cheaper than here, things like food, accommodation and transport etc

I have a friend here who escaped Burma along time ago and she is an amazing woman, she cares for me and my family here like we are her own, she is an amazing cook and helps out with so many various community things it makes me wonder how she does it. She married an Aussie ages ago and lives here and also cares for her mother in law, she still goes back to visit burma quite a bit and last time she bought me back a plain white t shirt with Myanmar on it, shame it's a medium tho and I am an X tra large. I'd love to go there one day and thailand, but I wouldnt touch drugs over there. The food and the culture and ocean and stuff would be enough for me, I'd drink tho.

There are quite a few Americans and folks from the UK who travel/move/retire to the area - specifically parts of Thailand - because it allows them to live much more comfortable lives. Not to mention the society's general mood out there and, shall I say, life (outside fucking Bangkok, which should not be taken as the Thai standard or whatever, despite however villagers one might argue have migrated there) is much more positive, less fucked up, than their former motherland.

One thing I have had the pleasure of experiencing first hand is that, as a methadone patient at the time, healthcare in parts of Thailand are truly outstanding. Even for travelers, but especially for the expats I met who have naturalized (mostly via marriage it would seem, I don't think I met one person who hadn't that way), the healthcare for methadone patients is better than anywhere else I've encountered. I hear it's good in the Netherlands (or some place around there?), but I never experienced it for myself.

And of course a LOT of Westerners, among others I'm sure, have traveled there for their opium/heroin aficionado holiday. Other than political repression in the capital/Bangkok, which I'd prefer not to spend much time while in the country anyways, there is some grounding in the name "land of smiles."* Myself, I'm on my way to Costa Rica to work at a state sanctioned Iboga treatment center for the next couple years. I'm still seriously considering moving to Thailand for a couple years though...

*(although you can get sucked in too, as other have mentioned, so it only really works if you know what you're possibly getting into, know folks there who you can trust and don't do all the stupid fucking shit foriegners always seem to be getting into trouble with out there).

Costa Rica, Thailand, they would all be great experiences. Have fun and enjoy (as I am sure you will).