• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Pemoline experiences wanted!

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
Well, while today we only have methylphenidate and amphetamine for ADHD and as prescription stimulants (not mentioning atomoxetine / bupropion etc. as they are not primary stimulants) - before 2006 or so, there was pemoline (cylert) available too. In Japan this is afaik the main ADHD treatment up to today under the name betanamine.

This pemoline looks somewhat promising upon closer examination, being related to 4-methylaminorex and 4,4'-dimethylaminorex- the latter I've tried for myself and found to have amazing potential. Also while first-hand reports of pemoline are very sparse, almost all of them seem to be very positive in the way of "far better than amphetamine" and that it did neither have a true crash nor physical norepinephrine stimulatory side effects. Think a) this compound was used in a time before internet was that popular, and b) most used in children.

The downside of course is it's potential for hepatoxicity. There seem to be only a few (twenty something) cases despite the wide spread use of this chemical, but they were all fatal or nearly fatal. When seeking more background infos, it gets contradictory at least for me who can just read the abstracts of pubmed articles. Many of the liver damage cases seem to be in children, in combination with methylphenidate and no periodic blood testing has been done. Also even on pubmed there is one metastudy that concludes that maybe the acute liver failure risk for pemoline had been overestimated and it needs further examination.

--

Since I am generally interested in this compound, and it seems to have great potential as a very smooth ADHD treatment and cognitive enhancing stimulant - I would appreciate any experiences you could report of pemoline.

Also does anybody know more about that liver toxicity thing, as I possibly could manage to get some pemoline - is this a gradual thing where one could watch for elevated liver enzymes or other signs and stop or really acute toxicity?

I tried this many years ago. In my experience there was no pleasant feelings in it, only an increased wakefulness and alertness. Similar to Adrafinil and Modafinil. But I never went above 100mg, so maybe above those dosages some euphoria may be there?. Also I had the "freebase", which is virtually non-soluble in water. So I think because of that it took a pretty long time to start working. But it was interesting to throw the powder in your mouth and feel absolutely no taste. There is also a magnesium chelate which is more water soluble, so that is probably more suitable.

I used Pemoline for many years to treat Adult Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. It was a lifesaver.

The liver toxicity cases that led to the drug's discontinuance all occurred in children. When I began taking Pemoline (as an adult), my physician knew about the possibility of liver toxicity and required me to be examined periodically for a year. He said if it showed any signs of affecting my liver, I'd have to stop taking it. But, he said, if after a year my liver showed no change, it would be safe for me to continue indefinitely.

I used it for around 30 years, never had any kind of problem with it. It is not addictive. There are no withdrawal symptoms.

You say you possibly could manage to get some Pemoline. Would you be kind enough to PM me for further discussion? (I do know about its availability in Japan.)

Last edited:
I used pemoline from the mid 70's (I think it was first prescribed as an alternative to Ritalin for me in about 1977) through 2005 when it became unavailable in the US.
This was by far the best medicine I ever used for ADD. I got great results on the lowest dosage (18.5 mg, I think it was).

It allowed me to focus, improved my memory and my mood, and I swear, it improved sexual function as well...

It did not cause the dry mouth, high blood pressure, racing heart, lack of appetite, or nervousness that I have experienced in one degree or another with every other drug I have tried since then. Currently, I take Adderall and I hate the daily emotional roller coaster it puts me on and the fact that if I wait too long to take it, I can count on being awake until the wee hours of the morning.

I wish there was some place where the product could still be purchased... If anyone has any idea of where to get this drug, please let me know where.

Well, while today we only have methylphenidate and amphetamine for ADHD and as prescription stimulants (not mentioning atomoxetine / bupropion etc. as they are not primary stimulants) - before 2006 or so, there was pemoline (cylert) available too. In Japan this is afaik the main ADHD treatment up to today under the name betanamine.

This pemoline looks somewhat promising upon closer examination, being related to 4-methylaminorex and 4,4'-dimethylaminorex- the latter I've tried for myself and found to have amazing potential. Also while first-hand reports of pemoline are very sparse, almost all of them seem to be very positive in the way of "far better than amphetamine" and that it did neither have a true crash nor physical norepinephrine stimulatory side effects. Think a) this compound was used in a time before internet was that popular, and b) most used in children.

The downside of course is it's potential for hepatoxicity. There seem to be only a few (twenty something) cases despite the wide spread use of this chemical, but they were all fatal or nearly fatal. When seeking more background infos, it gets contradictory at least for me who can just read the abstracts of pubmed articles. Many of the liver damage cases seem to be in children, in combination with methylphenidate and no periodic blood testing has been done. Also even on pubmed there is one metastudy that concludes that maybe the acute liver failure risk for pemoline had been overestimated and it needs further examination.

--

Since I am generally interested in this compound, and it seems to have great potential as a very smooth ADHD treatment and cognitive enhancing stimulant - I would appreciate any experiences you could report of pemoline.

Also does anybody know more about that liver toxicity thing, as I possibly could manage to get some pemoline - is this a gradual thing where one could watch for elevated liver enzymes or other signs and stop or really acute toxicity?

Regarding the liver toxicity thing, I was tested for elevated liver enzymes every 6 months or so, they were always normal. However, my doctor did tell me that some children developed lesions on their livers while taking pemoline and it was a serious thing worth monitoring for.

One other thing worth mentioning. If you are going to take Pemoline recreationally, you can dramatically magnify the effects by simply drinking some fairly strong Green Tea shortly after taking the Pemoline. Coffee does not seem to do the trick, so I assume it has to do with alkaloids other than caffein found in Tea but not in Coffee.

Pemoline

Hey,

nice to read something about Pemolin. I´m from Germany and have Add like a bunch of people here. I took Pemolin when I was 20 in 2001 for some years.
For me it was the perfect medication. There was no bad comedown like on methylphenidate and amphetamines. I felt awake but not this feeling you have after drinking some cups of coffee. I was really awake, sharp focused, and i was in a real GOOD mood the next eight hours. The comedows was smooth and there was no anxiety. It was pretty good in social situations and it felt great to talk to others because i had the ability to stay focused while the others where talking and my thoughts where not drifting away. I also didn´t have problems with my liver all the time i took it. From all I know is, that there were just a few people (13!) with bad liver Problems within 50 years!!!! I guess there are dying more people because of liver failure in one month because of paracetamol than of Pemolin in decades!
Today my ADD is still a problem for me, and my live quality really suffers because there´s nothing out there, that really seems help, and I really tried a lot of things. The main problem ist the anxiety i get from real stimulants. It is geting so worse, that after the comedown, that i couldn´t bear it.
Pemolin is not a stimulant like the others. It doesn´t releases Dopamin it is an analogue to Dopamin. Pemolin functiones and acts like Dopamin but your own Dopaminresources arent´t touched.
From Pemoline you don´t get the side effects (dry mouth, nervouseness etc..)that you get from real stimulants.

It really is one of the best medication you can take long term for ADD.

The problem is: Where can I get it?:?

The only country where it beeing prescripted is in Japan:(

It looks like I never get this for me "perfect" medication.

Have a nice day