• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Does it matter which way the needle is facing?

pinpoint

Bluelighter
If and when I inject via IV I tend to use the vein in the crook of my arm. In order to do this by myself I usually have the base (the non-sharp end) facing towards my hand. I read somewhere that it needs to be facing toward your heart. What ever I am doing definitely works, but I'm confused as to what difference it makes, if any, so long as the needle itself is at a 45-degree angle

IV isn't really my 'thing' so excuse my ignorance.

I've never done it facing that way, I haven't even considered it as an option? Going the other way just makes sense to me and is easier.

Ultimately, the venous blood stream pumps towards your heart so it will still work, whatever floats your boat I guess! Try the other way and you'll prob find it's easier. I don't see they injecting that way cohld possibly change the direction of blood flow. Should only be a problem if you get
An artery and you'll know if you do that!

Be careful because iv has not been lots of people's 'thing' but it generally quickly becomes your 'thing!'

In my opinion if you face the needle away from your heart you would probably cause a pressure build up from the injections going opposite the blood flow. This may cause the vein to burst or balloon into some kind of medical emergency situation. I dont really know though.

read OP in this thread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/602800-Injection-IV-Complications-and-Info-MEGATHREAD-amp-FAQ-III-vs-I-Want-Blood?

Some instructions to follow while shooting up
washing hands, and cleaning the injection site with soap and water, or an alcohol swab;
preparing drugs for personal use in your own space, and using equipment that has not been used by anyone else;
choosing the smallest possible bore and length needle for the site;
selecting a suitable vein, and introducing the needle by carefully sliding it under the skin, at a shallow angle and with the bevel up, and then into the vein;
injecting with the blood flow, i.e. towards the heart;
pulling back the plunger to identify that the needle is in a vein - a small amount of dark red venous blood should trickle into the syringe. If a tourniquet is used it should be loosened once you have drawn blood back into the syringe;
injecting slowly to reduce the likelihood of drugs leaking around the needle into the tissues surrounding the vein and damaging the vein;
injecting the hit in two halves with a short break (a few seconds) between will reduce the overdose risk;
not jacking back blood and ‘flushing’ after a shot - as this can significantly increase damage to the vein;
removing the needle slowly and carefully;
applying pressure to the site with a blood proof pad, cotton wool or tissue (bruising is caused by bleeding into the surrounding tissue. Immediate firm pressure will limit the amount of bruising caused); and
safely disposing of used injecting equipment, and whatever has been used to stop bleeding.

Last edited:
No your doing it right pinpoint. The sharp end should be facing your heart. What the whole facing your heart deal is about, is going with the blood flow. So you shoot the drugs in the same direction that the blood is flowing.