Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UN: We're all "Committing Genocide"

Bhopper

Bluelighter
God Help Us:
U.N. Aide Wants Web Drug Crime Pursued Like Genocide
By REUTERS
UNITED NATIONS -- A U.N. official said Thursday he wanted to crack down on use of the Internet in trading illegal drugs by classifying such dealings via the World Wide Web as a universal crime like genocide or war crimes.
Pino Arlacchi, head of the Vienna-based United Nations Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention, said his office was exploring giving so-called "universal jurisdiction" to Internet crimes because wrongdoing in cyberspace so easily evades traditional national jurisdictional lines.
Currently, only genocide and crimes against humanity enjoy universal jurisdiction, meaning they can be pursued internationally.
In the illegal drugs market, the Internet "is more and more important in providing exchanges of information, in expanding the market, particularly the final market, and we are very worried about it," Arlacchi told a news briefing.
Due to the global nature of drug crimes, "it is extremely difficult to route a case into a precise jurisdiction. So we believe that this problem is encouraging us to go in the direction of universal jurisdiction," he said.
Arlacchi said the concept would be explored in depth at a U.N. symposium in Palermo, Italy, at the end of this year. The symposium will mark the signing of an international convention on organized crime to be approved next month in Vienna.
The U.N. official said use of the Internet in the actual trafficking of illegal drugs remained "very small -- it is minimal."
But the Internet offers increasing amounts of information promoting illicit drug use and telling people how to make illegal substances and where to find them, he said.
The Internet provides "a lot of extremely dangerous information," he said. "You can enter a completely different world where the issue is treated in the opposite view as it should be."
"And unfortunately, these views are spreading and we are now thinking about some instrument to at least stop the expansion of this flow of information," he said.

Arlacchi said international treaties left open the possibility of expanding the concept of universal jurisdiction to crimes beyond genocide and crimes against humanity.
"Internet crime and money laundering, for instance, are two very important aspects of modern criminal activities that cannot be easily chased and challenged through the conventional traditional instruments, that are all based on national jurisdiction," he said.
------------------
Help stop Internet Drug Info Censorship before it's too late:
http://members.xoom.com/stop_2987/

argh... this is truly a frightening prospect... is this perhaps the UN toadying the ideas set down in the Anti-Meth Info Bill?
i am personally offended that my work here at Bluelight is being equated with the war crimes of the Serbian Army
fuck you UN

I would like to agree whole-heartedly with my antipodean colleague johnboy on this one.
To the UN (wholesale bombers of Serbia and Kosovo):
Wither and die you revolting scumbags.

Geez, we're gonna be up there with slobo and saddam. I'm sure it won't go through though, there's a lot of countries out there with more tolerance than us.
It'd suck to take this underground so to speak...we'd all have to get this weird vpn software...keep it all clandestine and shit.

hey i just had a wierd thought... if the UN equates us with slobbo and saddam, doesnt that make us safer?
where are slobbo and saddam right now?
happily still in power...
the UN is never going to touch them. whether this is by design or simple gutlessness is up for debate...

I can't believe that they want to equate my desire to get fucked up and go dance my ass off with Hitler's attempt to exterminate the Jewish people, or the japanese government carrying out those horrible experiments on chinese people during WWII.
The founding fathers of this country believed that government was only necessary because it was needed to protect the common man from foriegn countries.
When the government starts worrying more about protecting me from myself, and trying to make moral decisions for me, than people stealing, raping and murdering, THAT is the time to for the people to call for a reevaluation and restructuring of that government.
------------------
><PLURR><
What is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is nothing more than electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

Man I can't understand the way these people think. They should encourage internet forums where people can share information and make things safer. They have to accept that this is going on, people are using these substances, and that it's beneficial for there to be places that inform and make everything safer. It is just so frustrating to me. Oh well. Those are my thoughts.
k

Consider this: the U.S.A. is furious at the current attempt to create an international court to prosecute our soldiers for war crimes when we feel we should be able to take care of that within our own courts. Do you think for a minute that the U.S. is going to stand for an international tribunal to try our drug traffickers?
- aby

This is apparently more bullshit that we have to deal with. I really wish that their was a single place on the planet we could all go to be free. They decide what laws we have to live by, when all we wish and hope for is personal freedom. Is that so much to ask for? Israel got it's place to live the way Jews want to, why can their not be another place for people concerned with freedom, and personal choice? Instead the American govt bullies other countries into adopting it's laws, forming a defacto one world govt of oppresion where differences in culture and belief, is considered intolerable. Thank you America, Thank you U.N., land of the free-My ass.