• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos periodic use after dependence

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
hi. has anyone successfully tapered off of a daily benzo habit, abstained for a period of time, and then been able to take benzos again without ill effect? if so, please share. if not, i guess i want to hear about that as well.

i'm more concerned about the physical effects than the idea i will become a daily user again. as in i do not want the feeling of withdrawal at any intensity. before taking a super helpful doctors advice to fuck myself, for years and years i took them occasionally without problem. i really miss that. can i ever have it back?

thank you

Last edited:
I have. I was on high dose diazepam among a lot of other GABA-a and GABA-b shit and had to kick it all in jail cold turkey. After a period of about 4 months I started using xanax and etizolam periodically to no ill effect. Until I started taking etizolam a lot and then I had a brief but somewhat strange withdrawal.

If you have the willpower and control to keep your use regulated and only use when you absolutely need to you shall be fine. Tread with caution.

Its no different from alcohol really. Some people can manage their use properly and others can't.

The problem is that the down regulation from benzodiazepines can last a long time after you have removed the benzo and reintroducing an agonist too soon can trigger a flare up of post-acute withdrawal syndrome. I definitely would wait at least a year before messing with them again if you're worried about it.

Although I'm not looking for sporadic recreational use after withdrawal the thread is still relevent. Although MK777's response is exactly what I was thinking It would be nice to hear of others personal experiences.

So due to valvular heart disease seen similarly in fenfluramine related incidents caused by frequent exposure to 5-ht2b agonism (in my case, I would assume MDA analogues, certain psychedelics, and possibly flourinated amps are to blame).

I guess it's possible that I may need a heart valve transplant or repair eventually... the extent of the damage nor a date was given but I've got a follow up with the cardiologist next monday, wasn't given too much info during the echo.

I just got through three months of etizolam withdrawal that seems to have finally passed a few weeks ago, the problem is that even .5mgs now puts me into 3-4 days of disgusting rebound... I'd hate to get put under for surgery and get thrown into withdrawal during my recovery so I'd like to hear others experiences on when a solid dose can be used again.

Last edited: