• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Bad IV technique & minimizing bruising?

dankplantgrower

Bluelighter
I don't IV any drugs but Tuesday after a week long vodka bender, threw up blood and decided to see a doctor. The nurse taking my blood didn't cause too much pain when she drew blood but its 3 days later and I still have a very visible 2 inch long bruise that's tender to the touch. It looks like I missed a shot or something, defintely doesnt look innocent. What did she do wrong? Or is it possible my body just reacted like tht because I was unhelthy from the booze? I've never bruised once getting veins poked by medical staff before. Was this just a poorly trained nurse or could I possibly be responsible somehow too? Had some important appointments this week with this big old thing making me feel like a junkie, and its way too hot to wear long sleeve out here. Do many IV users deal with bruising and if so is it technique, health, or what? Anyway to speed healing? Realize its a lot of questions but if anyone can offer a thought about any of them, it would be great.

Applying hot compresses can increase blood flow to the area and thus decrease healing time. She may have punctured through the vessel and blood leaked out or proper pressure may not have been applied long enough and blood was able to escape for awhile from the vessel.

if ur worried about the stigma of it, wear a bandaid with a lil cotton ball like a pussy n ppl will think u just got a shot or blood draw..cuz u did. lol. i suggest gettin in the hotbath. i know u said its hot there. but gettin in a hottub or a hot bath for like 15 min and submerge ur arm will help. raise it for like 2 mins after soakin for a bit. basically. help it circulate. im sure u know motor oil runs faster if its hotter, and flows to the bottom if tilted, just do the same for ur arm. keep an eye out tho man that type of shit personally scares me.

did it swell? did it itch?

Can't see your picture, but alcohol acts as sort of a "blood" thinner and may have made you bruise easier

Link should work now. Couldnt figure out how to hotlink the image from my host with this limited phone browser. (No Chrome on Windows Phone as far as I know)

I have been hospitalized 5 times since jan, and let me tell you I have had some SHIT IV`s, one when I left the hospital could not bend arm for a month........there really are some shitty nurses out there. I find ER ones the worst, always rushing so they miss so many times........ 99 out of 100 though you will heal up fine