• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Withdrawing from Benzos + Kratom... help?

Japhy

Greenlighter
I was on 0.5 mg Clonazepam for two months to combat anxiety-related insomnia. During those two months I felt like I had a new lease on life, was very productive, and in general quite happy for the first time in a year or two.

However, I decided it wouldn't be good to continue using it, so I tried to get off the Clonazepam by switching to Diazepam for a few days. I didn't plan very well and simply started taking Diazepam after I ran out of Clonazepam. The insomnia returned in spite of this, and I experienced rebound anxiety from coming off the Clonazepam. I returned to Clonazepam for three more weeks.

After 3 weeks, I decided to change back to Diazepam but do things the right way this time. Over the course of around a week, I slowly diminished my Clonazepam dose to 0.125 mg and slowly upped my Diazepam dose to 5 mg. I haven't taken any Clonazepam in 3 nights now, so I feel a little encouraged but not yet victorious, because I'm now on 5 mg Diazepam and feel like shit. Diazepam is definitely not helping my insomnia.

I haven't gotten much sleep for the past two nights and I look like a wreck. I feel depressed and almost unable to function. I barely want to see my girlfriend, I don't want to talk to any friends, all I want to do is stay in bed. Thankfully I have today off work, otherwise I think I would have called in sick.

I am drinking a little Kratom to cope with the anxiety, but I have been having some minor head-twitching all morning, which, although it's minor, is worrying me. I have seen some scholarly articles mentioning head twitching and benzo use.

Is it unsafe for me to be drinking Kratom given the long half-life of Diazepam?

I know all of these doses are low, but I'm pretty sensitive to most substances. Just need a little bit of support as I'm having a rough time. Does it get better after a couple weeks?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Couple things come to mind.

kratom does NOT work well for benzo withdrawal/taper. It's more for opiate withdrawal.

why are you tapering off klonopin with Valium ? Everyone responds differently to different benzos. Perhaps klonopin gels best for you.
Perhaps also, with anxiety and insomnia, a long term therapeutic dose of klonopin might be a good idea (unless you are abusing it)?

i don't know, I've only had Ativan and Valium and loved Valium but am scripted Ativan. For the best I think, as I have ZERO inclination to use my Ativan except when having a hardcore panic attack.

remember, CT off benzos can be deadly, stay safe.

Good to know. I'll stop the Kratom for now. The reason I switched to Diazepam was informed mainly by The Tranquiliser Recovery and Awareness Place. According to my research, Diazepam is a preferred benzo from which to taper down to nothing because of its long half-life, which lets you diminish doses slowly.

I was never abusing K-pin, but I read some horror stories (including some here on BL) about long-term usage leading to negative effects like memory loss and depression. I'm very very tempted to go back on K-pin, because it seemed to literally breath life into me, but I don't like the idea of being dependent on a drug. Some studies also link benzos with Alzheimers.

Being on a Benzo for panic attacks only (non-daily usage) I find a little less worrisome.

If you are WDing you haven't tapered properly, check out the Ashton manual, she is a great doctor on the subject.

If you have no benzos left a little alcohol may help as it also works the GABA receptors