• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos SAFE and RECREATIONAL klonopin use... please offer advice

Hutch1

Greenlighter
Hello all,

I am prescribed klonopin for anxiety, however I feel that I do not really need the medication, so instead I simply use it recreationally (say 1-3mg whenever i want to relax around friends, I love the way I can avoid alcohol on it or have say one drink).

My question is, how often can I take, we will say, 3mg of klonopin SAFELY in regards to not exacerbating my already present anxiety.

I am VERY aware of the DEADLY drawbacks to BZDs, I was a xanax addict for a month (4mg unprescribed daily) and quit cold turkey. So yes, I have visited hell. PLEASE dont reply about the dangers of bzd substances, because I am aware.

Would 2 times a week be too much to not develop paradoxical effects? I am also aware the half life of klonopin is approx. 24 hours, so it would take about 4-5 days for 3mg to become negligible. I'm just wondering if doses such as this are enough to downregulate my BZD receptors in the long term and make me more anxious. My psych has no problems with a permanent prescription, and I get 30mg per month and just stockpile the pills I dont use.

What are the main signs of klonopin withdrawal besides anxiety? Ive googled them and know the list but what should I watch out for first etc. I never crave the pills, but I do get that "Meh, I could take one" mentality every now and then, however I know whats good for me and avoid the thought.

Thank you for your time!

I have heard of people getting a sore tongue with withdrawal and have had it happen myself. As for the anxiety rebound you speak of, I have never found this to be a problem, but it would seem to be more of an issue with long term use. IMO 2x weekly will not be a problem. Everyone is an individual however.
It sounds to me though, like you do need the medication on some level that you are even concerned with rebound anxiety. What are you doing for your anxiety that you don't feel you need the medication?

you will know your withdraw symptems when you get them, google will really not help with that, everyone withdraws differently. I take 3.5 daily for a few reasons, I get the shakes when I forget a couple douses, like I said everyone is different. I know allot of people use this drug for fun, but I just don't see it unless mixed with another drug ie opiates.

I cannot say exactly with clonazepam, but I have been taking etizolam once or twice a week for the past 2 months or so and I have yet to experience a WD. Now etizolam is way shorter acting than k-pins so you might have to take it once a week. No one is going to be able to give you an answer set in stone, some people may be able to take it 3-4 times a week while others not so much, trial and error is the key. But with benzos, a trial and error experiment can go wrong real fast as you know.

I dunno, but my plan was to get a bunch of klonopins (44) well I got 22 the first night, woke up with 7..when I had all of that that day you can add 2 more klons to that that morning and 4mg of xanax....now have 16 and am going to stretch them out as much as possible, and take low doses if I start to feel weird .5-1mg. I wonder how many days I will be okay with taking a total of 27 of them in 30 something hour time peroid... woops.

Edit: And my memory is completly fine...no amnesia, fuck benzo toleracne, remember when I was happy with just 3-4mg four month ago... just added 2400 mg of Gabapentin to my 8 mg of Klons today and 28mg of Subs after my 3 day Roxy vacation. Happy passin out to me tonight.

If you use benzos on a regular basis at all, you're predisposing yourself to anxiety.

I actually tried my first etiz this past weekend for a molly comedown :D

So im going to try and be a bittt more specific... Is there any research behind how fast benzos down-regulate gaba?

rebound anxiety, risk of panic attacks, insomnia, probably more...

With it's long half-life 3mg twice a weed is a lot, that's not too different to taking 1mg/day (because of the long half life...) either way, allways keep some handy in case of w/d effects i mentioned above, also when you use benzos recreationally IME tolerance goes up very fast, and you don't want to take more than 3mg clonaz, thats allready a lot...

So im going to try and be a bittt more specific... Is there any research behind how fast benzos down-regulate gaba?

No, it's different for everyone...

^very true, I have first hand experience with that. I'd keep it to once a week or less, maybe see if you can get something with a shorter half life also.