• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Question about subutex.

justin75615

Greenlighter
Will I have withdrawal symptoms after taking subutex 16 mgs. per day for only 3 days? Then just stopping completely.

Are you an opiate addict with a current addiction? Or did you just take 16mg/day for 3 days for recreation or pain?
(16mg is a LOT for someone with little or no opiate tolerance or an occasional user, i was a dope and OC addict for years and 4mg held me and then lowered to 2 then to 1 and stayed there for 2.5 years)
Anyways, if it was a one off 3 day thing than i dont think you will have any wds, but if you regularly use opiates (even if not an addict) you may get cravings once the bupe is out of your system. Or if it was for pain you might have a little rebound pain (lower tolerance to pain, temporarily though)

All depends on previous opiate history.
But physical wds, no you wont have them if you weren't using regularly before the buprenorphine.

My .02

-HOOD

were you taking any other opiates before this? (I assume you did since 16 mg is quite high for someone without a tolerance).

Yes. I had been snorting between 100 and 160 mgs per day of oxycodone for about 6 months. I wanted to quit the oxycodone for several weeks now but was way to scared of the withdrawals I was going to have to face. So as soon as I found a source for Subutex I jumped all over it and did like I said, took two 8 mgs tablets everyday for three days just as short amount of time as I could to not have to go through the worst part of withdrawal. I would now like to be opiate free and don't want any withdrawals at all if I can help it. So just wondering should I start a taper off the Subutex or just stop since it's only been 3 days since I started. Thanks a lot to everyone for your help and info.

You're still going to get withdrawals if you switched from Oxy to Subutex. If you quit cold turkey, it's probably going to be hell, sub withdrawals are very bad compared to oxy IMO, even if theres no scientific evidence for it. Also, you're not going to be able to be opiate free without withdrawals. If you do a VERY slow taper you will be able to get through it with discomfort, but you're always going to have withdrawals coming off an opiate. It's just not possible to clean up, and not have withdrawals as your body will need to get back to homeostasis, and you will also have the new pain receptors still there that your body made in response to all the opiates. You're going to have to go through hell, but if you taper, it wont be as bad as cold turkey. If you're serious about being opiate free, and not just doing a T-break, try and get a week off work, and just sweat it out.

I guess what I mean to say as far as the withdrawals go is, I just wanted to get through the first 3 to 4 days of the more intense acute aspect of withdrawal symptoms which I would have suffered from quitting the oxycodone cold turkey... by using the Subutex for just a few days to get me past that point. Now that 4 days have lapsed of which only the first 3 days I took the Subs... today is my day 4 and I feel fine but hence the long half-life of buprenorphine thats why I'm asking should I be expecting some acute (somewhat intense) withdrawal from the Subutex maybe tomorrow or the next day? I already know from plenty of experience the worst part of the percocet withdrawal is passed. If anyone can go 4 days off of percocet cold turkey no matter how you do it the acute symptoms are passed. I know there are plenty of other latter aspects of withdrawal also. I should have clarified more why I was asking in the first place. So I guess I am still asking the original question: "will I have full blown acute withdrawals of any kind after only 3 days of using Subutex?" I should also mention this was my first time ever using buprenorphine. Thanks again for everyones input. Your knowledge and insight is greatly appreciated!

sorry to say 16mgs of sub is equal to way more than the oxy habit you had previously I would say 16mgs is about a 500mg or so a day oxy habit so by going on sub's your making the withdrawals so much harder cause you jacked your tolerance up by doing way more opiates than you normally do then just stopping. If you just stopped the oxy cold turkey then you would have been better off but now you raised your opiate tolerance to an insanely high level but there may be hope for you you only took it for 3 days so mabye yor not to far off track but quitting a 120mg a day percocet habit is way easier compared to a 16mg a day subutex addiction keep in mind.

By taking sub for the first few days after stopping percs you didn't avoid the acute withdrawals you just put them off for a bit cause bupe is an opiate a very strong one at that and that's what your addicted to is having your opiate receptors filled up so all you did was continue to take opiates those 3 days filling up the receptors like you normally do then now when you decide to stop your gonna have to let the withdrawals finally start because your opiate receptors are gonna start to clear then you will be in withdrawals the same as if you quit percs cold turkey (if not worse due to the extremely high doses of bupe you took the past few days). You see what I mean your addicted to opiates in general not just oxy they both do the same thing to the brain. You say you know the worst of the percocet withdrawals have passed but actually they don't begin until the bupe leaves your body cause remember it don't matter if the opiates come from percs or subutex they are both working on the same centre of the Brian and both do the same thing and have the same withdrawals (well few differences in the withdrawals but not much besides the sub withdrawal being more drawn out and brutal compared to oxy)

Last edited:
Well, too late since you took 16mg for three days, but if you can get some more take VERY LOW doses(like 1-2mg a day for a while) then slowly lower your dose till you get down to .50mg of Sub or .25 and jump off. Have a little loperamide or kratom handy for after...but I think what you just did just put a whole lotta sub in your system for a while and then you are gonna be facing w/d again once the Bupe leaves your body...

Edit: And if you can get ahold of more Subs, wait until you are in COMPLETE w/d to begin taking the Sub again...Or look into kratom instead of Subs..Someone chime in if they think this is bad advice please.

Yea that's good advice screamingskull I don't know how easy kratom is to taper but I've heard of people doing it but I myself would stick to subutex but low doses I mean 16 MHS was way way overkill for the OP with a 120mg a day oxy habit 2-4mgs is all that was needed maybe 2mg in morning 2 mg at night would work best for you if you metabolise substances quickly then you can take a mg off each dose then take 1mg for a few days then you can take 0.5mgs then go down to 0.25 mgs then you should be able to jump off pretty easy.

You could made this so much easier on yourself if you didn't take that much sub for 3days you could've done a good taper with 48mgs of bupe instead of binging on it for 3days trying to get high off it when the only way to get high is to take low doses anyways so I doubt you even felt much taking that high dose of sub which sucks considering it still raised your tolerance most likely. You could've done something like 4mgs for a couple days then 3mg for a couple days then 2mgs then 1 mg all the way down to 0.25 or 0.1mgs this would have been the way to avoid very bad withdrawal but unless you can get sub now its too late too bad you didn't come here before you took all that bupe and wasted it all but live and learn I guess.

Thanks for all the information everyone! I wish I had of known about the bluelight forum a long time ago. I haven't taken anymore bup for two days now after being on it for just those three days like I mentioned. So far so good...not feeling any withdrawal symptoms at all as of yet. I'll post again in about 3 days from now for an update. Oh I did quit a (30 to 50 MG a day for two yrs.) methadone habit I had when I was about 25 yrs old cold turkey! Worst year of my life trying to do that. It changed my whole mental chemistry. I haven't been the same person since then but I was able to do it so I know a thing or two about addiction and withdrawal myself. Just didn't know much about this subutex. The whole methadone ordeal is really why I am so damn traumatized and scared so much about withdrawals of any kind. One would think I would learn my lesson after all this time but fighting the opiate demons has been a win some lose some battle for me for a very long time. Oh well...I hope this thread will help someone else somewhere too. Thanks again everyone.

Every kick is different so you won't know how the subs effected this one until you go through it.

Yes, the doses you took were way more potent than your current habit, but sometimes taking large doses of sub for a few days allows for it to build up in your system and then slowly leave you which may soften the blow. Or it might be worse. Or it might not change things much.

What I can say is that I have taken a single 8mg dose of subs to kick opiated before and it worked really well that one time, just as good as the time that I spread 8mg out over 5 days. Other times not as much though.

Some detoxes give like 16mg sub for the first few days, then 8mg, then 4mg, and it works well for some and not so good for others. I think that some people overlook the benefit of taking higher doses than the bare minimum to get you well when it comes to detoxing, but taking just enough to get by for a few days works too so there is really no perfect regiment.

Just don't think about it and stay positive because withdrawals are very mental as well.

This is hard to predict, but IME, after coming off an 200mg/day oxy habit, I'd take .25-.5 mg of bupe for a day or two and be withdrawal free. However, you took WAAY more bupe than needed, so there's a chance you could feel WD's.. Here's my advice, wait 2-3 days for the bupe to leave your system, switch back to the short acting oxy for a week or two, then switch back to the bupe, but this time, take .25-.5 mgs a day, for 3 days. Try skipping a day if you can, or at the very least, try holding out as long as possible before re-dosing the bupe. After the few days you should be in the clear as far as bad acute WD's go.. you may feel sluggish and you'll definitely have the "mind fucks", but the physical issues should be limited.

^ Basically the idea behind this^, is you only want to be on the bupe long enough for the oxy to be expelled from the body, but not long enough to become dependent on bupe. It's a balancing act, but everyone's body is different.